2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Quote Originally Posted by hh1341 View Post
    Min2oly.....

An inverter can and has been used to charge the cap.

A DC voltage multiplier would be the bee's knees

The mechanical relay is a weakness also.

Looking for help on both these items .

Carl
    Carl,
    thanks - wouldn't the distributor take the place of the mechanical relay in the vehicle, or are you talking on the bench?
    -KR
    Patrick

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by min2oly View Post
    Carl,
    thanks - wouldn't the distributor take the place of the mechanical relay in the vehicle, or are you talking on the bench?
    -KR
    Patrick
    You could short out the distributor points if you put the plasma through that. So the diodes go from the CDI/MSD direct to the boot of each plug directly bypassing the distributor.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Arron .......where is this latest info ...........this stuff has evolved since the package......is it on the forum?

Carl

Thumbs up How I do it

Secondary spark gap is a must; something like this will do:
    SparkGap.jpg

Crunch down the size of the diode string:
    DiodeString.jpg

Grab yourself a standard ignition system:
    DSC_0002.jpg

Build the circuit from off-the-shelf parts:
    PlasmaGenSchematic.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Tested on a single cylinder engine to run up to 3600 RPM with no issues. Powerful one inch jet shooting from plug at 30 cycles per second.

Hope this helps folks.

Cheers!

D1

P.S.

Currently working on a genset modification using water mist and Brown's gas. Once all the parts are in, I'll have more to show.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George S Patton Jr

Seems to me the cap charge which rides the ignition spark should be triggered by the conventional timing mechanism (eg points )

This synchronizes the cap discharge with the timing. Therefore things like timing advance are taken of.

The version I envisage is a twist on the one Peter demonstrated.

It needs 2 things as I see it.....

1. A solid state electronic flip flop switch to replace the relay.

2. A simple, robust, way to raise 12 volts to, say, 120 v ( a DC voltage multiplier )

My weak suit is the electronics.

I have replicated the circuits in the package, It's these 2 suggested wrinkles that might stump me.

Who on here would be up for a collaboration on developing these items?

Carl

Nice neat craftmanship Dog-One.

Quote Originally Posted by hh1341 View Post
    Seems to me the cap charge which rides the ignition spark should be triggered by the conventional timing mechanism (eg points )
    This circuit is about as simple as there is. It's a booster cap system only. The caps discharge once the high voltage conducts. The high current follows the discharge of the high voltage. Essentially, the high voltage arc creates a short across the spark plug gap and when that happens, the booster caps dump most of their charge, minus what little the diode string holds back. Think of the spark gap as a switch and then it all makes sense.

The three large step-up transformers are necessary to charge the caps fast enough to run an engine and since they are not current limiting devices, there is a motor speed control (triac) inline with the main power to hold the current down as to not fry the windings.

I'm using a pair of 100uF caps for each transformer. When you work out the details, it comes to about 24 joules per pulse.

HTH,

D1
    Last edited by Dog-One; 03-11-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

So.....how for instance...... could one get a mosfet to turn on when the other turns off and vice versa, both triggered by one signal? ( the points/hall effect/whatever )??

Carl
    Last edited by hh1341; 03-11-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Be great if the cap could be just sitting there, charged, waiting for a spark to ride.

So.....how for instance...... could one get get a mosfet to turn on when the other turns off and vice versa, both triggered by one signal? ( the points/hall effect/whatever )??
    An inverter or simply a NPN transistor will do that. If you truly want to drive a MOSFET there are little eight pin chips out there that can do it very efficiently. Some are inverting and others are non-inverting. Get one of each and you are off to the races. Do a google search for "MOSFET drivers" and you'll find loads of info.