* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 121 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121
Results 1,201 to 1,207 of 1207

Thread: Plasma Ignition | Plasma Jet Ignition

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to experiment with other types. But I might try it out in future.

What I noticed is champion plug with ground electrode removed and removable resistor lasts more than TM plugs, which is not only cheaper and easier to obtain but also gives more gap than TM plug.

Champion plugs are easier to modify as well. So I am looking at ways to build firestorm with champion plugs. Only thing preventing me is the skill set / resources required to do fine welding.
    Plasma welders are very rare in my area.

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firozmusthafa View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to experiment with other types. But I might try it out in future.

What I noticed is champion plug with ground electrode removed and removable resistor lasts more than TM plugs, which is not only cheaper and easier to obtain but also gives more gap than TM plug.

Champion plugs are easier to modify as well. So I am looking at ways to build firestorm with champion plugs. Only thing preventing me is the skill set / resources required to do fine welding.
    Plasma welders are very rare in my area.
    Firoz, here is how to build the Firestorm plug - this doc was put together by Ash from Panacea in Australia years ago based on a lot of collaboration that came through my Energeticforum.com:
    http://emediapress.com/wp-content/up...lasmaplugs.pdf

Do you think the champion plug with the removed strap and resistor would work well in an turbocharged automobile engine? Early on, quite a few people were doing the same mod. I never did, I just bought off the shelf non-resistor NGK plugs mostly.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

I have no doubt about it. If champion plug used to modify is made for turbo charged application, it would surely hold up.
    I noticed champion plugs are less quality than ngk which is why it allows us to do these mods.
    Even then champion quality is acceptable for our use.

Just have to be careful before buying a champion, not all their plugs have removable resistors inside it. Some of them are fused ceramic resistors which is impossible to modify. If you are lucky, you can get resistor less version which saves all the trouble.
    There are different models built with same dimensions.

If lean burn is the target, then high ignition voltage is required especially to fire them under high boost. This will become more obvious when trying to start engine when cold in high compression cylinder head.
    Anything that vaporizes fuel better significantly increases lean burn limit as per my experiments and astronomically amplifies plasma effects (this is beyond what I was able to imagine prior to my experimental findings)

Not that plasma won't grow in high pressure, it needs high voltage first to initiate the low resistance ionized arc for the plasma burst to propagate, I tested this theory by lowering ignition primary voltage by 10volts and understood that plasma too requires higher voltage to initiate under high pressure.

Which cheap CDI has best longevity?

Hey guys,
    I'm the greenhorn here and haven't got through reading all the previous
    pages of this thread yet, (only got to pg36 so far) so my apologies in
    advance if this has been discussed earlier.

Just wondering if anyone has had issues with the MSD StreetFire CDI 5520
    after 2+years of daily use?
    I am considering buying either a MSD 5520 or a Accel 61212 SuperBox CDI,
    but some of the reviews on Amazon for the 5520 have me concerned.
    For a noob like me, the Accel looks more appealing for what I learned about
    it and I haven't found negative reviews about it so far.
    Anyone feel free to give advice about any pros/cons with those 2.
    The engine to be used with it is a 1989 Chevy 350 with stock ignition coil.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thx

which is the more modern design? how do they differ? Can you determine what size the capacitor in the Accel box is?
    while Aaron's version is proven with the MSD box, I wonder if that may have been surpassed by more modern technology.

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heysoundude View Post
    which is the more modern design? how do they differ? Can you determine what size the capacitor in the Accel box is?
    while Aaron's version is proven with the MSD box, I wonder if that may have been surpassed by more modern technology.
    Holley pretty much owns all those companies I believe...last 10 years seems they bought them all up.

Street Fire is MSD's budget brand. It's 89mJ - a bit on the weaker size but in a way preferrable for longer lasting plugs, which isn't ultra long compared to non plasma use. I've never not been able to get the Street Fire module to work and all the ones I've used are still working fine. Have never fried one yet.

I haven't read the reviews on Amazon for the Street Fire so not sure what issues people could have. For the plasma purpose, it works perfect I think.

Accel and the other brands are good quality too, I haven't tried them but no reason they don't work. I've never had a need to use any other.

All their circuits will be fairly similar - the trigger turns on an SCR to complete circuit from the ground of the cap to the ground of the ignition coil primary. They rarely do anything different from that.

Someone did fry a Street Fire unit somehow and sent it to me to look at. I have no idea what went wrong with it, but I do kind of recall that the cap used inside was a WIMA cap, which is one of the very best you can have for high speed pulse applications so that was a very good sign.

The only modules I had go bad was a used DIS-2 MSD module for distributor-less ignition systems. I had to use 2 of them together to make it work on the 1998 Subaru Legacy GT with a EJ-25 engine. It's a wasted spark ignition system. One unit was new and one was used - not sure what happened, but it was the first time ever that plasma ignition was put on a car where two sides of the coil pack are normally opposite polarity so makes it nearly impossible so I made all polarities the same by using two coil packs in series. Then I needed two of those DIS-2 units - wasn't happy about those as they cost nearly $700 each brand new - something like that.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete. ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

came across this article with some interesting notes about capacitance and current that have clarified things for me:
    https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/...rn_article.pdf