Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSG & Ignition Coil?

John,
    I have built a few of the SSG and been testing and using them for about 6 years.
    It struck me today...

What's the difference between a bed ini SSG and a simple Ignition Coil or an auto alternator?

C Dean

Night and Day
    do you have a more specific question?

Have you seen Aaron Murakami's plasma ignition setup with one small tweak on the ignition coil?
    search:
    Aaron Murakami ignition secrets
    -KR
    Patrick

Comment

Hey you guys,

Normally I'm not so outgoing with youtube and all but tonight I was playing with the plasma spark setup for the generator and that is just is right on topic here. Since It was so cool to get it working I had to make a short video. Here it is, Q - YouTube

Let me know your thoughts, I really need to find another way to drive the thyristor with a Hall sensor, then we got something nice, right?

Comment

Originally posted by cdean_lmt View Post
        John,
        I have built a few of the SSG and been testing and using them for about 6 years.
        It struck me today...

What's the difference between a bed ini SSG and a simple Ignition Coil or an auto alternator?

C Dean
        To start with, the Ignition coil has at least a 100:1 turn ratio, meaning there are vastly more turns on the secondary than on the primary. This steps the voltage levels up (and the current down) according to well known transformer theory. The SG coil is 1:1, meaning that amplification of voltage is NOT occuring through a difference of turns ratios.

The "alternator" is built without permanent magnets and employs alternating fields like the name suggests. Commutation is generally required to apply power to the rotor while the ICE drives the rotor via pulley/belt. Current is generated in the stator, which is rectified and put to use throughout the vehicle.

Neither the ignition coil or the alternator resemble the SG, bar the fact that they both contain inductors.

Regards

Comment

Working...
        X