My first "real" Bedini Energizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first "real" Bedini Energizer

In advance I would like to say thanks, for all the helpful information that has been made available from John, Chuck, Peter and others.

I recently made a Bedini SG energizer (see image) using the basic plans outlined in the Basic SG Handbook, written by P. Lindemann and Aaron Murakami.I have experimented with smaller single coil versions, so I am familiar with the theory of operation.

I wanted to build one as close the original J. Bedini design as possible, so I followed the general directions for construction of the coil and circuit design without much deviation from the specifications outlined in the book. Or so I thought....

Review:
    I have managed to run the device for a brief periods , but it seems to be burning out transistors after a few test runs. ( 35 - 60 seconds). Initially it did not sustain rotation , but I lowered the wheel closer to the coil and it worked.

Basic Operation:
    I apply 12vdc to the INPUT , and a neon light glows and the device activates (there is a clunk). I spin the wheel and all seven lights begin to flash randomly and the wheel rotates , then the wheel slows and the device stops working. I doesn't activate when I apply power a second time. All seven of the the neon lamps are lighting, but seem very brite, so I must have the high voltage ( maybe too high) I used 24 ceramic block magnets 3/8 in x 7/8 in x 1 - 7/8 in. I believe these are acceptable.

Summary:
    I replaced a few transistors and the device ran for a bit then stopped... After reviewing the book I realize, that I didn't follow the directions for starting the device, by connecting the OUTPUT to the battery first, so it might just be an operational error, but I wanted to get some advice before I proceed again. since transistors can get expensive. I really underestimated the the out put of this device.

Ray
    Attached Files

Ray,

Always have the charging battery hooked up before running a SSG

any time the neons are glowing, they are trying to save your transistors and keep them from dieing......

but they can only do so much.........

Comment

by the way, that's a nice looking SSG......

Comment

never run the Sg without the charge battery hooked up, with that said you wont have problems with the circuit. if your neons are flashing you are up over 90 volts collector/emitter.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Good advice from RS_ and TomC,

When starting the SSG I just forced myself always first connect the Secondary battery and then the Primary battery on starting the unit.

When shutting down the SSG always first disconnect the Primary battery and then the Secondary battery,

even with the SSG standing still and you connect the primary first with no secondary battery, you might/more than likely just get a spike/trigger and the transistors firing and if there is no secondary connected you might loose another transistor or two.

GOLDEN RULE:-

On Start-up SECONDARY BATTERY CONNECTED FIRST !

On Shut-down SECONDARY BATTERY DISCONNECTED LAST !

Really nice build, almost looks like JB's, maybe take up the 1 amp challenge that JB posted.

Theunis
          Hey !
          WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
          JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

ditto to all the posts above. Also, if you have a capacitor on the front end (input) be aware that removal of the primary battery doesnt necessarily mean everything is unloaded and safe. The cap will store charge and will pulse the wheel a few times until it is empty, depending on the size of the cap. Best to keep your secondary battery connected until the wheel comes to a complete stop, with the primary disconnected.

And yes, nice looking unit!

Ren

Comment

Yes the set -up is very similar to JB , NICE , NEAT AND VERY PRESENTABLE STUFF! Also it is very important to have all the neons glowing at the same time....this ensures equalization in all the Coils and safe drive of all the Transistors as stated.
              rgds,
              Faraday88.
              Last edited by Faraday88; 02-24-2013, 10:36 PM.
              'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Thanks for the help, I was able to get my SG to work. It seems to be performing as expected. I ran a test using a 12v gel cell as the secondary output battery and saved it to video.

Comment

Good job!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X