Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-coiler-kit, sharing notes and hints

Hi all.

Not sure if this is the right sub-forum but I hope to start this thread for 10-coiler-kit-owners to share notes and hints.

My version of the kit is the one with 4 strands per coil (except for the master-coil with 5 strands).

I have built a few motors before trying different sizes and driving circuits but never tried to achieve high COP in the battery (until now). Some of my previous experiments winded up here: http://www.youtube.com/user/nilrehob

I don't have good batteries yet, I have 4 not new 90Ah, they are not all that bad but rather low quality and I'm currently trying to rejuvenate the first of them, but charging it takes quite some time and COP is probably close to 0.5, but I'll continue to charge/discharge it until I see a difference, hopefully to the better.

On the primary side I currently use a 25A 12V power-supply with 2 big caps in parallel. It seems to work pretty well, my scope (old) doesn't show much of the spike but there is an overload-indicator, so by adjusting the trace up/down I can see at what level the indicator turns on/off and using a battery or the power-supply doesn't make much of a difference spike-wise, I estimate that the spike to be above 220V.

If I stick to the rule of high RPM and low Amp I can tune it to draw less than 2A, but then the spike is low, sometimes 70V depending on secondary battery, and it seems the 90Ah battery won't charge, so I'm aiming for at least 4A. When a secondary 90Ah battery *is* charged then 2.2A seems to be the low limit to raise the voltage back to 16V.

I put a cap instead of battery on the output and bleed it with a resistor to find good efficiency. First I searched for a good gap between magnets and coils. It seems the wider the gap the better, until there is no trigger signal, so I settled for 6mm. (My best electrical COP in this setup for 6mm gap is 0.8 running on 2 coils, 100mA, 126 RPM.) Speed seems to consume unnecessary energy, so I have adjusted the position of the master-coil to trigger later to make the wheel run slower (in attraction-mode). In this way I get fewer but higher spikes for the same input amps. Higher input voltage seems beneficial, so I will probably aim for 24V when I buy proper batteries (once i can afford it).

Double-triggering seems also beneficial, but I'm sticking with single-trigger for now.

The 1-coiler kit John has put together seems to be charging a 24Ah battery and consuming 1A from the primary, which multiplied by 10 fits well with his 10-coiler that seems to draw 10A. But does the preferred secondary battery size scale likewise to 240Ah for a 10-coiler?

Does anyone have a suggestion on the size of new batteries once I can afford them?

/Hob

I did not see a 10 coil kit in your videos, do you have the R charge kit? if so did it come with the solid rotor or mag style rotor? might have missed something though...

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
      I did not see a 10 coil kit in your videos, do you have the R charge kit? if so did it come with the solid rotor or mag style rotor? might have missed something though...

Tom C
      No, I haven't made any videos of it yet as I don't have anything special to show about it yet,
      but I believe its what You'd refer to as a R charge kit,
      and actually its a 10+20-coiler as I couldn't afford a 30-coiler at the time but I wanted to be able to do more experiments with it so I went for a 10+20 with solid rotors.

/Hob

Comment

Introducing my 10+20-coiler:
        http://youtu.be/cYTyLxqw0Z4

/Hob

Comment

I took the time to do some tests the other day and measuring the spike across the secondary battery (not across one of the transistors) while doing them:

* Given the same power, more current and less voltage seems to give higher spikes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX2o6dskDtE

* Given the same current, 2 coils seems to make better spikes than 1, even after the wheel has gained more speed on 2 coils and the base resistance has been changed to the same current as when on only 1 coil, the spikes are still higher across the battery using 2 coils.

* This is an old one I know, the thicker wire on the secondary the better. I used to have 13mm^2 (#6) but switched to 35mm^2 (#2) which is a silly cable-size on these small currents, but it seems it actually made a difference. EDIT: each coil has 4 strands of 0.82 mm^2 (#18) wire, if all coils are in use all the strands in all coils sum up to 32.8 mm^2
          /Hob
          Last edited by nilrehob; 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X