Bipolar transistor matching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bipolar transistor matching

I have found that hFE transistor matching with DDM is most inaccurate method for matching transistors, since working conditions are quite opposite of the DDM testing parameters, and yet, everyone here is probably using this method. Transistor matching depends on the several conditions: temperature, testing voltages, collector current, base current etc. so this is quite complex thing to do.

Since Mr John Bedini says that matching parts is most important ting for the best SSG operation, my intention is to open discussion upon this subject. Here is interesting site about it (I didn't try matching transistors yet, I was curious what everyone here will say about this subject, so I couldn't wait to make this thread). Transistor matching I will be glad if Mr John Bedini could give comments on this subject, because of his transistor testing background. Since I have no experience with oscilloscopes, can we match transistors by it - before making SSG circuit = in the shop?

Regards,
    cald

Originally posted by caldovicd View Post
    I have found that hFE transistor matching with DDM is most inaccurate method for matching transistors, since working conditions are quite opposite of the DDM testing parameters, and yet, everyone here is probably using this method. Transistor matching depends on the several conditions: temperature, testing voltages, collector current, base current etc. so this is quite complex thing to do.

Since Mr John Bedini says that matching parts is most important ting for the best SSG operation, my intention is to open discussion upon this subject. Here is interesting site about it (I didn't try matching transistors yet, I was curious what everyone here will say about this subject, so I couldn't wait to make this thread). Transistor matching I will be glad if Mr John Bedini could give comments on this subject, because of his transistor testing background. Since I have no experience with oscilloscopes, can we match transistors by it - before making SSG circuit = in the shop?

Regards,
    cald

nope you can not use a scope. if you want matched transistors in quantity you can get them from Teslagenx. we have a dedicated tester. you will need at least 100 transistors to get 10 or 15 that are matched, that is my experience. the quantities needed to match are not insignificant in the cost of matching

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Just to add... the tester we use at TeslagenX to match transistors is one designed and recommended by John Bedini.

John K.

Comment

Hi John,

Do you have the schematic and are you able to post it on here?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

Transistor Beta Tester

Hi Dave,

Sure, here it is...

John K.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Guys,
            Do you also need to match the base resistors and the diodes?
            Does anyone know if Rick used matched components for his assembled multi strand boards. I asked him along time ago but did not get a reply
            Thanks for the interest

Comment

Yes match everything you can.

Dave W.

Comment

Originally posted by Batterybruce View Post
                Hi Guys,
                Do you also need to match the base resistors and the diodes?
                Does anyone know if Rick used matched components for his assembled multi strand boards. I asked him along time ago but did not get a reply
                Thanks for the interest
                No he did not, at the 2011 conference, 5 of us helped assemble the big machines, well I did for one day.... John K erik luther and josh all spent days doing it. components came right off the reels and out of the packages, no matching. we were not told to do that. I dont remember even seeing a beta matcher in his shop. it did not matter to Rick.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                  Hi Dave,

Sure, here it is...

John K.
                  Hi John K.
                  please can you tell me how many milliamp the panel should have and what D.U.T. means.
                  Thanks

Comment

Hi forelle,

The mA should be in the range of what you are going to run the transistor at.

D.U.T. - Device Under Test

John K.

Comment

How do you use the R1, pot, in the Transistor Beta Matcher?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Christianson View Post
                        How do you use the R1, pot, in the Transistor Beta Matcher?
                        Jon, you adjust it for the current the want to use to test the device.

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                          Hi forelle,

The mA should be in the range of what you are going to run the transistor at.

D.U.T. - Device Under Test

John K.
                          Thanks,i know you are not here to give a electronic tutorial.

Comment

Originally posted by caldovicd View Post

Regards,
                            cald
                            matching under the same circumstance w/o special curve tracer beta matching equipment. Not sure if any special equipment could produce the same real world circumstances the transistors will be under while running the SSG i.e. high power pulsed DC.

conclusion... I need to also add a power supply to this experiment to stabilize the data.

Comment

I recently bought this tester - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/170983316127?...84.m1497.l2649 and it works quite well. It detects the type - bipolar, FET as well as polarity - PNP vs NPN, provides h value. It also detects and measures other active and passive semiconductors such as thyristors, diodes as well as capacitors. It also has pads for SMD type. Transistor socket could be extended by means of flexible plug in with socket. Hard to beat the price.

Vtech

Comment

Working...
                              X