Solar Tracker Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Branch,

Yes, 4.2 hours average insolation means exactly that. This may mean for your location you may only get 1 hour in winter but 8 hours in summer. The point being that if you want to stay off the grid during winter you would have to size your panels accordingly. To give you an idea, I have a 1.6kw array which in winter only gave me around 2kwh/day but at this time of year I'm getting around 7kwh/day.

Also note that the ambient temperature has a large effect on panel efficiency. Basically the hotter it is, the less efficient the panels are. Expect to lose about 50 percent on a 100F day, but alternatively you will x percent more than the rated panel power when it's freezing.

I haven't had the chance to run a Tesla Solar Tracker V through its paces yet, so I don't have any data to share however my TSTIII starts charging batteries before sunrise and after sundown, obviously not full power but at a guess I would get at least an extra 10 percent out of the panels.

nte makes a good point about panel orientation to the sun, obviously the more direct sun you can get on the panels the more energy you will harvest. Ideally you would have a sun follower to tilt the panels but the cost and energy associated with doing that may be prohibitive or impractical.

I'm still working towards an off-grid system that would lean on the grid for a backup, but the cost vs. ROI is the main issue.

John K.
    Last edited by John_Koorn; 11-27-2013, 11:53 PM. Reason: Forum doesn't render the percent character

Comment

Ok thanks man.

Yeah as I have added all this up...it's really amazing how expensive it is! And this is just a small 10x10 room with a small ceramic 200w heater, a laptop, and a desktop PC with some recording gear.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
      Hi Branch,

Yes, 4.2 hours average insolation means exactly that. This may mean for your location you may only get 1 hour in winter but 8 hours in summer. The point being that if you want to stay off the grid during winter you would have to size your panels accordingly. To give you an idea, I have a 1.6kw array which in winter only gave me around 2kwh/day but at this time of year I'm getting around 7kwh/day.

Also note that the ambient temperature has a large effect on panel efficiency. Basically the hotter it is, the less efficient the panels are. Expect to lose about 50 percent on a 100F day, but alternatively you will x percent more than the rated panel power when it's freezing.

I haven't had the chance to run a Tesla Solar Tracker V through its paces yet, so I don't have any data to share however my TSTIII starts charging batteries before sunrise and after sundown, obviously not full power but at a guess I would get at least an extra 10 percent out of the panels.

nte makes a good point about panel orientation to the sun, obviously the more direct sun you can get on the panels the more energy you will harvest. Ideally you would have a sun follower to tilt the panels but the cost and energy associated with doing that may be prohibitive or impractical.

I'm still working towards an off-grid system that would lean on the grid for a backup, but the cost vs. ROI is the main issue.

John K.

Comment

Keep in mind some things wont like the sine wav signal and will slowly self destruct.
        Convert a few Good APC units for the appliances that require true AC power.

Hope this helps.

Save The Planet!

Comment

Put together my panels and hooked them up today. Shot some video. Thx everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
            Put together my panels and hooked them up today. Shot some video. Thx everyone!
            Hey Branch, thanks for sharing!

I have the same solar tracker and have been using it with a 200W Monocrystalline panel and 65AH deep cycle batteries, it struggles on cloudy days as you would expect so would be interested in how you go with your amorphous on cloudy days.

James

Comment

Hey James,

Well I went and purchased a couple 6V Trojan T-105's today...hooked them up in series. I'm not sure if they will be a good comparison to your 65AH battery...but I'll at least be able to chart a couple times with my CBA on a cloudy day and see what it looks like. I'm definitely curious too!

Right now it's 7:56pm here, sun is going down...panels are in the shade...and the tracker is still running...the batteries were up around 13.04V earlier in the afternoon...now they are at 12.92V...so I'm not sure if they are charging or just holding.

Originally posted by jelloir View Post
              Hey Branch, thanks for sharing!

I have the same solar tracker and have been using it with a 200W Monocrystalline panel and 65AH deep cycle batteries, it struggles on cloudy days as you would expect so would be interested in how you go with your amorphous on cloudy days.

James

Comment

It's very overcast today, but I had my TST5 out as some sun showed it's face earlier. I took these pics at midday, the panel was supplying about 15V 300mA. If you have a similar day it would be fun to see what your 45W amorphous can do. Very unscientific but thought it might be interesting to share

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140523_121546.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	46300

Name:	20140523_121616.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	46301

Comment

I'll check it out for sure on the next overcast day. We have had plenty recently with spring rains.

It's very overcast today, but I had my TST5 out as some sun showed it's face earlier. I took these pics at midday, the panel was supplying about 15V 300mA. If you have a similar day it would be fun to see what your 45W amorphous can do. Very unscientific but thought it might be interesting to share

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3458[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]3459[/ATTACH]

Comment

Hey Jelloir,

I have been waiting for an overcast day like the one you had...today is perfect. I took these photos at around 9:15am this morning.

Panels are putting out 13.88V, and 312mA. If I can remember I'll come out and check at high noon if it's still overcast.

Name:	clouds.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	46338Click image for larger version

Name:	tracker.jpg
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	46339Click image for larger version

Name:	voltage.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	46340

Comment

So your 45W Amorphous is working as well as my 200W Poly in similar conditions. Pretty telling I reckon. I had my panel angled and facing toward the sun on that day as well, hows yours orientated?
                      Last edited by jelloir; 06-02-2014, 07:34 AM. Reason: Removed the word "almost", hell it's working basically the same...

Comment

My panels are facing south. They are on the roof to my barn so I don't rotate them with the sun...if there were no clouds, at 9am the sun isn't even above my treeline yet.

I'm sure your panel drastically outperforms mine on a sunny day...but yeah...pretty telling for cloudy, low-light conditions. I am pleased...excited to add more panels.

So your 45W Amorphous is working as well as my 200W Poly in similar conditions. Pretty telling I reckon. I had my panel angled and facing toward the sun on that day as well, hows yours orientated?

Comment

Ok just checked again. It's 12:10pm. 15.79V and 336mA. Still very overcast. So I guess if I had 4 times as many watts in amorphous I should expect to really be kickin' your panel in the rear on cloudy days haha.

Comment

Ha, yeah and I have had 4 days straight of overcast weather and rain, so Amorphous panels have been on my mind a lot! Thanks for taking the time to indulge my curiosity.

Comment

Working...
                            X