Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RS_ View Post
    Hi Les,

remember, my name is not Ron...... just call me RS on the net, as I do Not use my real name any where on the net........

if you have the 2V cells 1100Ah battery's, yes it takes 12 of these cells to make a 24V bank, and 24 cells to make 2 24V banks so at a C20 rate, that would be 55A for 20 hours per bank and 55A * 24V = 1320W ..............
    Originally posted by RS_ View Post
    Hi Les,

remember, my name is not Ron...... just call me RS on the net, as I do Not use my real name any where on the net........

if you have the 2V cells 1100Ah battery's, yes it takes 12 of these cells to make a 24V bank, and 24 cells to make 2 24V banks so at a C20 rate, that would be 55A for 20 hours per bank and 55A * 24V = 1320W ..............
    oops! sorry about that My bad...

So if that is the case and your running 2500 watts you are twice that. I have just been thinking about how to answer my question as to whether it was really worth it to build a larger multicoil ssg. If I am getting anything close to Ralph's machine then I would say it's worth it. Especially if I use the large comparator circuit. I have improved my comparator ckt with great success and appreciate your input on that. But I still think there are things JB does that go beyond it. Anyway if you have a unit that is 9 times more out than in, it would be reasonable to conclude that there is a cost savings in solar panels. and you would be able to use a smaller tracker or get much more out of a larger one.

However I believe it was John K. that said JB only designed the ten coil for 24volts due to those older batteries and it seemed he was implying we should run these SSG's at 12 volts. that would limit us to the 12 volt units. Not a problem obviously.

Here is another thing I have been considering. Since we have devices in the home that use 2500watts but only for short times such as an electric hot plate etc. I have been thinking of using some of those tractor batteries like the D8 units to supply short term high power. For example take a toaster. It uses quite a bit of power but only for 15 minutes or so. A large set of CCA batteries could handle that with no problem but if you use deep cycle you would have to expend a small fortune.

It just seems to me that with this technology we can get a lot more creative than what I am seeing...

another example is to use our batteries and SSG's in combinations like pumping stations to pump power from one bank to another bank in stages with gain. Alum for the intermediate stages and acid for handling inverters.

Les

Comment

I made a cover for it our of wood and it keeps the sun light out of it and there is no prople with the water, it is all sealed up with 4 filtered air vents on it.

Ron

Comment

Is anyone having a lot of luck with the golf cart batteries and alum, OR ???? The best I can do is about 60 amps max. I was hoping for 200+, as lead acid they are rated at 220 or course you can only use about 50 amps. 30%. It will hold a charge I don't know for how long but more than a week. I have been charging and discharging the battery but it stays about the same. Batteries are my largest problem so far. I have a 3Kw system but we get a lot of rain so I NEED A LOT OF BACK UP POWER. I would like to find some of the old 2 volt cells that you could take apart and rebuild. This is Hawaii and no have. I can get a lot of old used 220 amp and 540 amp batteries, but they need a lot of help.

HELP

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Terry View Post
          Is anyone having a lot of luck with the golf cart batteries and alum, OR ???? The best I can do is about 60 amps max. I was hoping for 200+, as lead acid they are rated at 220 or course you can only use about 50 amps. 30%. It will hold a charge I don't know for how long but more than a week. I have been charging and discharging the battery but it stays about the same. Batteries are my largest problem so far. I have a 3Kw system but we get a lot of rain so I NEED A LOT OF BACK UP POWER. I would like to find some of the old 2 volt cells that you could take apart and rebuild. This is Hawaii and no have. I can get a lot of old used 220 amp and 540 amp batteries, but they need a lot of help.

HELP

so are your alum batts new or are they converted junkers? I have 1 trojan T125 in alum mode, it was completely dead now it has about 30 AH at C20 but does not like higher current draws.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I have concluded that my problem must be sulfation of the plates of the battery. Both batteries are about the same 6volt 220 amp. my battery is about the same as it was before alum 60 amps.
            I have been thinking about draining and using very warm sodium sulfate to see if it will remove the sulfation. I have charged/ discharged the alum battery abut 6 times with little of no change. I read on a other post that it "may" help.
            I am charging now,but I am only charging at 2 amps (4 days)
            I also added sodium sulfate to a acid battery to see if there is any change. Something must dissolve the sulfation.

Comment

I have concluded that my problem must be sulfation of the plates of the battery. Both batteries are about the same 6volt 220 amp. my battery is about the same as it was before alum 60 amps.
              I have been thinking about draining and using very warm sodium sulfate to see if it will remove the sulfation. I have charged/ discharged the alum battery abut 6 times with little of no change. I read on a other post that it "may" help.
              I am charging now,but I am only charging at 2 amps (4 days)
              I also added sodium sulfate to a acid battery to see if there is any change. Something must dissolve the sulfation.
              the best thing you can do is to run it on an SG BEFORE you convert it to alum to get the sulfation off the plates. I have not noticed any increase in capacity cycling it on my rejuvenator in alum mode. I will say the middle plate was completely shorted before I did a bunch of rinses and let the battery sit full of distilled water for a week. after adding alum, the voltage came up to where it was supposed to be.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I have discharged the battery and drained it (60 amps). I have put just "distilled" water in it and am running 2 amps dc thru it. I will check the PH and see if the sulfate does change back to a acid. If it changes I must be dissolving the sulfate. So I will kept doing it and change the water every so often.

I checked the battery and it has 6.0 volts, so I checked the PH. 1.8 acid from distilled water??? So maybe Have been taking off the sulfation very slow and it is changing back to a acid.
                Any one see a flaw with my thinking??

It has worked before I can make work again

Comment

At 6:00 AM the PH was at 1.3, the change is slowing. So today I will rock it drain and refill ( RDR) with distilled water, and run 2 amps thru it again and check PH. I think I would be happy with about a PH of 4.

Please Any one see a flaw with my thinking??

Comment

So now I have have more questions then answer's. I have charged and discharged a few more times, low power for a 220 amp battery. 60 amps. and the PH is 1.2 with water or alum after a few c/discharges. Full charge about 6 volts but internal resistance high 6.0 to 5.5 with 7 amp load.
                    Last charge was less than 2 amps for 21 hours voltage 5.96 v. I am going to try charging for 24 hours more just to see what happens.
                    I read some where that the sulfate turns to sulfuric acid when it desulfate's is this true? If so the battery may still be desulfated.
                    Should I try charging it harder 10 amp C20?

Help.

Comment

Hi Tom C,

To go off the Grid (OTG) i guess so far amoung the Bedini Tech's only The 10 Coiler is capable of achiveing this task..! but no one so far has succesfully replicated the 10 coiler swapper effect to go off the grid.
                      your comments please...
                      rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Farday88, I'm well on my way.
                        After several months of charging my 6v@225amp x4 batteries (5400w), they now put out 5610w and that is only bringing my 24v system down to 22v. They still had some watts in them.
                        With one more 24v set like this I'll be good to go. Run on one set while charging the other.
                        Still have 4 coils to install on my 8 coil ssg.
                        Getting closer by the day. It's so exciting.

Have a great day
                        Ronnie

Comment

Some photos if you will, please !

Hi Ronnie

Some photos if you will, please !

Theunis
                          Hey !
                          WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
                          JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

I have discharged the battery and drained it (60 amps). I have put just "distilled" water in it and am running 2 amps dc thru it. I will check the PH and see if the sulfate does change back to a acid. If it changes I must be dissolving the sulfate. So I will kept doing it and change the water every so often.

I checked the battery and it has 6.0 volts, so I checked the PH. 1.8 acid from distilled water??? So maybe Have been taking off the sulfation very slow and it is changing back to a acid.
                            Any one see a flaw with my thinking??

Bill

I have had some good done on my L16s that I got for scrape. What I did was take the acid out and put in Ammonia in the battery's. Put a charge on them with a rejuvenater. I have seen that the lead changes color to gray from black in the cells. The battery's are now holding charges with the Ammonia in it and I will be changing it with Acid and the later use Alum in the cells.

Before I used the Ammonia I had charged them with the acid in them for a lot of cycles and they just never held like they are holding now. I think the Ammonia is making Ammonia Sulfide.

Ron

Comment

Hi Ron,
                              Great to see your set-up giving results! so you have 24v each of the side you said!(225AH, 6V EACH?).
                              I would expect the right kind of system to give immidiate results (not months of cycling) such as the 10 coiler if built the way it is meant to be! The group is not yet to this level (i' dont say i am either).
                              ummm.. Bigger Battries as John has always been saying..
                              Enjoy pal,
                              Rgds,
                              Faraday88.
                              Last edited by Faraday88; 02-23-2013, 12:21 AM. Reason: addition
                              'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Bill

I have had some good done on my L16s that I got for scrape. What I did was take the acid out and put in Ammonia in the battery's. Put a charge on them with a rejuvenater. I have seen that the lead changes color to gray from black in the cells. The battery's are now holding charges with the Ammonia in it and I will be changing it with Acid and the later use Alum in the cells.

Before I used the Ammonia I had charged them with the acid in them for a lot of cycles and they just never held like they are holding now. I think the Ammonia is making Ammonia Sulfide.

Ron

What Ammonia concentrate did you use and what charge rate? Was the acid sulfuric acid? Did you have a reason for not going to alum and by passing the acid?
                                Did you check the PH of the Ammonia from what I have seen it would have been acid. Does sulfuric acid and ammonia mix and what do you get?
                                I know where I can get some L16's for $25 and they would be great if they had any life. I have been doing all my testing with a 220 amp. golf cart battery. It weights about 60 lbs and a L16 about 125 lbs hard for a old man to drain.

Thanks any help is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X