Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some perplexing results on my mini 6 pole.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some perplexing results on my mini 6 pole.

Howdy all,

Well, after spending quite a bit of time with my mini 6 pole I have some confusing and somewhat contrary results to report.

1. This was my first unit that was able to charge a single battery to over 14.5v on a single charge of an identical battery. Effortlessly, I might add. Plenty of charge left over.

2. There is absolutely NO heating of any components while running. Not the battery, transistors, resistors, diodes.....nothing. All very cool to the touch.

3. The unit will charge a 5ah battery to around 14.8v in around 1h 35m. That's wicked fast!

4. I can see a good radiant spike of around 340v.

So far, so good. Right? Well, here is the rub:

The battery that I have been using as the secondary is gradually losing capacity to the point where it only lasts about 1h 50m discharging at 300ma. That is just over the 250ma c20 rate for a 5ah battery.

Another observation:

When I was using the bike wheel, after charging the battery I noticed a spark that would jump as I hooked up the battery to the discharger. I do not see that after charging with the 6 pole.

My theory:

J.B. mentioned that the coil cores were too small on these units. Even though everything else appears to be performing as expected for an energizer, I am losing capacity instead of gaining it. I think it must be the coil cores, although I'm not sure what the process is that is giving me this outcome.

Any thoughts? Please chime in!

Thanks

-Woody
    "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

your battery is charging faster because the capacity is going down........

were these batteries new?
    what is the primary current draw?
    is this a sealed lead acid SLA battery?
    what are you using for discharge load? how many milliamps does it pull?
    do you have NEO magnets in the unit or did you change over to Samarium cobalt?

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Tom-

- I bought the batteries new about a year ago.

- Primary draw is 440ma.

- Battery type is flooded lead acid motorcycle.

- I'm using a Triton battery charger/discharger @ 3ma.

- I have SmCo magnets arranged in the superpole configuration on the rotor. Total of 12 magnets glued together in 6 positions around the circumference of the rotor.

- I have 20.2 ohms resistance on trigger circuit.

- 100 ohm resistors on the base.

- 19awg for the motor coils, 23awg for the trigger coil.

- MJL 21194 transistors.

Thanks Tom!

-Woody
      "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

Hi Woody,

It is of my opinion that you are not charging the battery to a high enough voltage and therefore are loosing capacity each time rather than gaining. Try 16.3 volts as a finishing voltage. If you cannot get the capacity up after doing this a few times, the battery is damaged internally and is on the way to being a prime candidate for the scrap heap.

Dave Wing
        Last edited by Dave Wing; 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
          Tom-

- I bought the batteries new about a year ago.

- Primary draw is 440ma.

- Battery type is flooded lead acid motorcycle.

- I'm using a Triton battery charger/discharger @ 3ma.

- I have SmCo magnets arranged in the superpole configuration on the rotor. Total of 12 magnets glued together in 6 positions around the circumference of the rotor.

- I have 20.2 ohms resistance on trigger circuit.

- 100 ohm resistors on the base.

- 19awg for the motor coils, 23awg for the trigger coil.

- MJL 21194 transistors.

Thanks Tom!

-Woody
          you are pulling 1/2 an amp from the primary, that is a lot. at the confernce last year, we had ralphs 6 coil, which i sa carbon copy of JB's 6 coil, which was 18 awg 4 strands superpole config only pulling 2 amps. so your little tiny machine is pulling a ton of current for its size.

Does the charge battery warm up at all? I would run the battery up like dave says. remember motorcycle batteries are not meant to cycle for long perods with big discharge cycles. they are essentially a starter battery. hi current for a short period of time then charged up by the magneto, then a buffer for ights and signals.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Tom,

The battery and all components are cool. No heat anywhere. I'll try charging to a higher voltage. Thanks Dave and Tom.

-Woody

Comment

Working...
            X