* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Thread: Solid State Battery Charger

Solid State Battery Charger

Hello Energy Science Forum,
    Aaron, Tom, Peter, Eric, R_S et al., may your Holydays be Blessed.

This series, though perhaps not who knows, will document construction of a solid state battery charger. It will be presented, at least in small part, as a series of simple didactic experiments for illustrative purposes. That might not be enjoyable for me, haha. This endeavor is in many ways for those new to the area, though for some old hands perhaps there is something here as well, Never know why people don't mention some of these simple things, is it gauche, has it not occurred to them or am I wrong? From these experiments the basis for an heck let's call it a SSG will be generated. As I said we will start very, really very simple, then drive on from there. I haven't built this yet, so who knows what we will see. If I had to guess this will be fun for those who are willing to tag along and maybe we see a couple watts or even more by the end! Maybe, maybe a finished "product" by Christmas, or a few months or such later, haha. Don't know how many videos involved maybe 8 maybe a dozen, will see how things go.

First Video: The Bridging Dioide
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pK...ature=youtu.be

Kudos to you, ZPDM! I'm going to try to help you out here a bit. My intent is to create a quick schematic for each of the different configurations you illustrate in both of these videos and also the resultant waveform on a scope. Here is the first configuration:
    CC1.gif C_C1.jpg
    You only fail when you quit!

Here is the 2nd configuration; charge Cap1, parallel diode, discharge into Cap2:
    CD_2.jpg CD_1.jpg

Please note that the scaling is not necessarily the same from post to post, as I am adjusting volts-per-division, and even time divisions to show the form of the wave more so than apples-to-apples comparison.

Same as previous, but with the addition of an inductor. C1 discharging through an inductor to charge C2:
    LCD-1.gif LCD_1.jpg

I suppose I should have covered this previously, but...

In video #1 C1 = 1 uF and C2 = 100 uF. No other values were given, so I filled in some blanks to illustrate the points ZPDM (in my opinion) was trying to make.

I reserve the right to screw it up royally. ZPDM, if I get it wrong, please Please PLEASE let me know. I'll go back & do it again. This is not my thread, I'm merely trying to fill in some blanks (as best as I can) to help ZPDM get the point across.

I was most intrigued by the points made in the videos and felt compelled to add the missing schematics & scope shots that, in the videos, those tools were not available.

I am sorry ZPDM, but Mike's Schematics are correct... I would have drawn the same thing based on your first video..... and in a way, I have drawn his last circuit, with some more complex circuit idea's but with the switching on the negative rail, per JB's inverted cap pulsers circuits... i like your videos, you are showing a good effect.... keep up the good work....

Mike, how did you acquire the Oscope shots... real Oscope with real components tested or a SIM...?
    Last edited by RS_; 12-10-2019 at 09:10 PM.

I am using a PicoScope to capture the images, which I then convert to a GIF format that is compatible with this forum. I had to take a break from "helping" to conduct the business that pays my bills before moving on to video #2. As per ZPDM's comments, I will no longer be contributing to this thread.

Mike,
    Am sorry, had a few, saw a number of posts brief in a row and assumed it was trolling and spam. I was wrong, please consider forgiving me, about the only silver lining is not having gone full Elon Musk and called you pedoguy. Very Sorry. To be honest I don't enjoy putting this material out or this thread I just feel like I should. Pretty much everything discussed to this point, while of some significance is essentially window dressing. The only concept that needs to be understood for OU from an inductor is the inductor time constant https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws...-circuits.html As can be seen the magnetic field is established over a number of time constants identical to the RC constant for filling a cap. So first if 63% of the field is established at 1 time constant and 100% at 5 time constants, at a minimum for 1/5 the amps one gets 63% of the magnetic field, which is a good deal. However the coil is also a magnetic choke, that is once the field is fully established the resistance equals the DC resistance in the wire, prior to this as the field is being established though there is also a reactive resistance component. As the example on the linked page notes a coil with a steady state amp flow of 10 Amps has an amp flow of only 6.32 amps at one time constant. This is because of the reactive resistance. So one is actually using quite a bit less than 1/5th the amps to establish 63% of the magnetic field. Also if one plugs in the numbers for amp flow at 1/2 a time constant it is at that time only 3.9 amps and this 1/2 time constant would establish 37% of the field, so things keep improving. That is also why the small caps work better. That is really the most important factor. Any inductor can be overunity it just needs to be hit with a sufficiently brief pulse and that sufficiently brief is judged within the context of the inductors time constant. The only drawback is if you are extremely early on the ramp up of the inductor maybe ten fold OU but if you are only putting out 5 milliwatts it might be preferable to be 1.5 OU with a somewhat lengthier charge time if it puts out 30 milliwatts. That is really all there is to it, after that one just wants to look for a decent way to parallel inductors and/or raise voltage to allow for some decent output. Will demonstrate how to set-up with an arduino and the OU in the fourth video. Again sorry for being a jack ass, hopefully with this off my chest I will now find this endeavor less stressful.

Hi ZPDM, thank you for sharing your work, watching with great interest.
    I forgive you, no one is perfect in this realm, you realized you made a mistake and asked forgiveness, that is what matters.
    peace love light