Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary:

Reading about your internal supercharger reminded me of an animated gif I saved one time as I have an interest in double acting cylinders. Can't remember now what the article, which I didn't save, was about, but on looking the gif over it seems to be more of a positive fuel inlet delivery system for a two stroke engine than a supercharger. However, it does use the concept of a double acting piston with an enclosed bottom cylinder end, as you were mentioning; which seems to demonstrate a case of great minds thinking alike... Here's a link: http://i41.tinypic.com/2z8yutu.jpg (fyi: Opera will download and open just the image using this link, while Firefox will resolve it into http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2z8yutu&s=5 which displays a tinypics webpage with the image - I like Opera's style better...)

I really admire people with machinists skills, as while at one time long ago I was able to put a suture or two into those who couldn't object much, with machinery I've only ever rated as a poor backyard mechanic. I think the last engines I ever worked on were some late 60's MoPars. Although my favorite personal auto was a '55 Studey President, with deep dish reversed chromies, which sat about six inches off the ground, and a four on the floor with that electric over-drive, it was a cornering devil - until I put it in a ditch..

Comment

Hi ckurtz,

The animated gif you posted shows a normal third port induction two-stroke engine cylinder, as used in many two-stroke engines, but with a closed bottom end and linear reciprocating connecting rod rather than the usual crankshaft and nonlinear oscillating connecting rod. This type of connecting rod results in simple harmonic motion, which has several advantages in some applications. It is used in many very large engines and also in free piston designs which drive hydraulic pumps or those engines that only drive a turbine from the exhaust. (And of course this rod design is also used in double acting steam engines.)

Thanks for your encouragement! And I must confess that one of my all time favorite vehicles was the '55 Studebaker President Speedster. Awesome machine and precursor to the supercharged Golden Hawk ............another one of my favorites.
      Last edited by Gary Hammond; 11-05-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X