Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rickets SSG Journey. Progress Log.

Hi,
    Intro...I've "tinkered" with electronics for a while...mainly computers and programming stuff. Used to play with microelectronics and house wiring as a kid/teen until an accident took my right eyesight for a year..shied away from electronics for a while after that....always wear eye protection when working with electronics

I've since got most of the sight back, and like a bad habit I've started working with micro electronics again. Started by building LED light fixtures. Then all of a sudden I found this Bedini business....wow what an absolute treat John, his supporters, co-workers and their work has been to go through. Some really amazing stuff, and a good group of folk willing to talk, share, open idea's with one another. Thanks.

So I'm going to follow suit and document my SSG creations, progress, challenges, etc. Just a note I don't often follow the normal convention...I like to try different ideas. I'm also still a newbie to this stuff too...so bear with me as I'm far from "up to par" as some of you.

I've made 3 SG's so far. First one was a bust (or I though it was...I have since realized what went wrong and it would probably have worked with some tuning)

Second was this one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	00.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	50915Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	50916

I've since scrapped that one because it's part of a concept I'll be working on later. It would have cost me too much to make so it'll have to wait till I can afford the magnet wire and other items to do it right. As John says....scaling the project opens up new possibilities....this is one that the possibility I was trying to achieve required major scaling, and that costs more than I have :P

Third and current project...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiniDay1-1.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	50917Click image for larger version

Name:	DiniDay1-2.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	50918Click image for larger version

Name:	DiniDay1-3.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	50919

This one isn't as fast as my first, but with the magnets on the inner part of the hub I've been able to get a heck of a lot of torque out of this without having to put too much $$ in magnet wire. With just 6 run coils and a trigger it'll rip my hand off trying to stop it :P

I just took it for a test run last night....there's still lots of kinks to work out...most of which is a new hub, as the current one has a major "wobble" and past 300rpm it looks like it's only a matter of time before it goes flying. It's hard to make a perfect circle with a hole in the exact center when all you have is a skill saw :P

I have some major plans for this circuit, but I've since realized I need to start small.....plus magnet wire and parts in the quantities I need is uber $$$ :P

I've also started making some batteries. I firmly believe that having the right batteries for this system will change it's possibilities. Conventional batteries are just too limited in their designs/materials....as JB has noted over and over....I hear ya
    I started making an Edison cell, but since found it too hard to get Nickel in the amount I wanted....so I poured over my periodic table and lead/zinc with Alum as per John's tests seems like a great combo. The day I realized to use lead and zinc I look to see if anyone else had....sure enough...John has May also do some testing with K0H (potash) electrolyte instead of alum since it's super cheap here in Canada If anyone wants to try it a good starting mix for the potash blend is 1800ml distilled water to 350ml K0H, or just do 1 part K0H to 5 distilled h2o.

Anyway I'm off to tinker...hope to have some neat results soon. I'll post more specifics of my current energizer once I get some more reliable tests completed. Between work, wife, and kids I may be lagged in responding so bear with me if asking questions.

Thanks for the SG JB. Also thanks for the Beginner's Guide. That book is a God send. Anyone that hasn't gotten/read it .... do it. Worth every penny if you want to work with SG's.

ttyl
    Rick

Nice work.. sounds like a man with a plan !!

Whats the drive for building these batteries .. u wanna run your enegizer on these?

Btw what circuits are you running for your bedinis?

Comment

Rick,
      The coils on the inside of the wheel is novel. I hadn't thought of that!
      Since you have gone down this path have you considered a small used stainless steel washing machine drum? It's even pretty well balanced for you! If you leave the old motor attached, technically you have a free wheeling bearing.
      No cutting required!
      Great work. Would love to see some torque measurements when you get a little further down the track.
      Keep it up.
      James

Comment

Thanks guys,
        So answer your questions and to log a bit of progess....

mrbeale: I want 3 alum batteries. 2 small for my run/charge batteries...somewhere in the 12v 7ah range. Then I want a HUGE battery bank for testing how well alum do as a long term storage battery. I just got the Alum in (10lbs worth) and am trying to find the metal now...sadly where I live there's no metal dealers so I'm going to have to have it shipped....that means big shipping costs because it's a heavy item. I'm running the SG 3's from R-Charge. I'm probably going to make a new circuit board soon because I'll be adding more coils. I'll just pull the pieces off these boards and put them on a new one

James: never thought of a washing machine drum. would have to cut it down. hmmmm. The metal might interact with the flux of the coils, so I'll probably try and find a wood or plastic type solution.

Update: Well I rebuilt my rotor hub, and the rotor is still giving headaches. If you look in the picture above there's the teal colored pipe I used to hold the magnets. Anyway, come to find out that pipe is actually warped, and even though my hub is now good it doesn't matter cause the magnet holder is craptacular. So I need to remake the hub with something not warped. I'll probably use a bucket bottom.

Also I blew a transistor yesterday so my results are still unreliable....ording some new electronics soon
        Thanks for the interest.

Rickets.

Comment

nice post .........
          thanks
          ghost rider jacket with spikes ghost rider jacket with spikes
          resident evil stars jacket resident evil stars jacket
          tony stark leather jacket tony stark leather jacket
          joe rocket suzuki jacket joe rocket suzuki jacket
          redbull jacket redbull jacket
          honda motorcycle jacket honda motorcycle jacket
          porsche design leather jacket porsche design leather jacket
          soft leather jacket soft leather jacket

Comment

Some good news, some bad.

Good: Built a new rotor from a bucket bottom and it works much better....lighter also so I'm getting higher RPM's.

Bad: Thought I had a dead transistor; but after some testing there seems to be a problem with my main coil, and I have no idea what's causing it. The coil has one 26awg trigger, and three 23awg powers. There seems to be an odd affect when I connect all three powers, in that the 3rd actually slows the wheel down....like becoming a load. It increases amp draw on the primary battery, and adds to the charging amperage going into the charge battery, but it slows the energizer down like it's going in a reverse magnetics. I've tested the power strands on the coil. Continuity - OK. All create a north pole when connected to a battery the same way - Yup. And the coil has worked just fine before in the past.
            I can connect any 2 wires, to any 2 transistors, and in any combination of 2 power strands just fine and it'll work just fine. However, when I add any third to any transistor it creates a load instead of adding another functional coil to the system.....odd huh. The third will also osilate at very low resistances. I have no idea what's happening...is it a coil problem or circuit problem? no idea.

I'll put a video up asap

Comment

Bzar,
              How did you test the transistor? Depending on the test it could indicate ok but is partially fused inside. In this mode my tester no longer shows it as a NPN transistor but as a diode bridge. That is no gain!
              That being the case the power going through the power strand will not be the same and it is likely to act as load versus assisting in spinning the wheel.
              Simplest solution. Check the Hfe and compare with the other transistors, or change over the transistor and see what happens.
              Hope that helps
              James

Comment

Great advice, thanks. I'll get on that and report back.

Comment

++++++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++++++++++++
                  Strange problem solved.....Tried everything...even a new rotor. But alas what it ended up being was a solder joint snapped off the pot so the wire was just barely connecting creating this odd effect. Thanks Tachyoncatcher (Randy) for figuring where to search for this issue...nailed it again. Also thanks James...brainstorming is never undervalued to me....it always eventually leads to the right conclusion.
                  ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

video update soon.
                  Last edited by Bzar; 12-21-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X