Battery monitoring software/hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys,

@Tom, I have already contacted West Mountain Radio by email and their answer was "It has an input impedence of probably around 20K." Somehow "probably" and "around" in the same sentence didn't satisfy me. lol. Their next answer was that the impedance varies depending on the voltage monitored. Makes sense. Using different voltage dividers depending on the voltage. So I tested it at different voltages and found that the impedance is around 10K at 1.5v, 5v and 12v but goes down to 4.6K at 40v! They didn't say anything about using(or not) a "pulse" charger with the CBA. Anyway, I'm not sure I would trust them with that. There are commercial pulse chargers on the market but I'm not sure they "kick" as much as an SSG!

@ John K, this is somehow encouraging. I'll find out if the CBAII has the same impedance as the CBA4 before I go forward. Probably, as ADC pics are often 5v input and low impedance. I have already blown a CBA3 because the computer went to sleep. My fault I know. Really like the 12 bit resolution of the new CBA.

@ Dave, really sorry to hear about your blown CBA and motherboard and... Ouch... Thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful... And, yes, I'm using a designated laptop(old one) to drive my CBA.

So I know DMMs have a high impedance and CBAs have a much lower impedance. I know the higher the impedance, the more protection you get but I have no idea what's needed to keep an ADC from blowing up on and SSG! Anyone?

If 10K is enough to protect a CBA it means it's probably enough to protect an Arduino too as the ATmega328 also likes 10K. Voltage reading while the SSG is running would be pretty cool, for a desulfator/charger/cycler that is, not for COP testing! John B has a voltmeter on his big rejuvenators after all!

Thanks again,
    Martin B

Comment

Working...
    X