Battery monitoring software/hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery monitoring software/hardware?

In J.B.'s videos on youtube, I see some very cool computer based battery monitoring tools. I know John has said he is using the West Mountain CBA for discharging, but which model is it?

Also, it appears the software used for monitoring CHARGING is different than that used for discharging. Does anyone know what that might be, if it is different?

Thanks,

-Woody
    "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Originally posted by Woody View Post
    In J.B.'s videos on youtube, I see some very cool computer based battery monitoring tools. I know John has said he is using the West Mountain CBA for discharging, but which model is it?

Also, it appears the software used for monitoring CHARGING is different than that used for discharging. Does anyone know what that might be, if it is different?

Thanks,

-Woody
    The CBA 4 will do discharge and charge monitoring, that is what I use. its in the software. John is using software called METERVIEW it works with radioshack meters that have serial output.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Thanks Tom. Do you have the CBA 4, or the CBA 4 pro? Also, do you or John use the extended software available for the unit?

Thanks again,

-Woody
      "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

stndard software. CBA 4.

Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom. Got one on the way!

Comment

I use mine ALL the time you will not be dissapointed.

Tom C

Comment

Is this what you would recomend to buy?
              CBA IV 4 Computerized Battery Analyzer [CBA4] - $159.99

Comment

Yes, that's the one.

John K.

Comment

Ok, another question: Can the radio shack meter and/or the CBA IV devices be left connected to a battery that is being charged radiantly (like by an SSG) without damaging them?

Thanks,

-Woody

Comment

I leave my CBA attached to watch charging curves, just for a few cycles.
                    Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom! I received my CBA today but they sent the CBA III instead of the CBA IV. Shoot. Now I have to send it back and wait for a backorderd CBA IV. As the Tom Petty song goes....."The waiting is the hardest part."

-Woody

Comment

Tom, John, Woody,
                        Have you ever used your CBA to monitor a charge cycle on a big SSG. I have a solid state charger that draws 2.5~3 Amps and would like to monitor it's charging but I'm worried about blowing my CBA4. The input impedance on most digital multimeters is 10Mohms and we know they survive. But the CBA4 (probably the CBA3 too?) is only 10Kohms!

Thanks,
                        Martin B

Comment

Originally posted by Martin B View Post
                          Tom, John, Woody,
                          Have you ever used your CBA to monitor a charge cycle on a big SSG. I have a solid state charger that draws 2.5~3 Amps and would like to monitor it's charging but I'm worried about blowing my CBA4. The input impedance on most digital multimeters is 10Mohms and we know they survive. But the CBA4 (probably the CBA3 too?) is only 10Kohms!

Thanks,
                          Martin B
                          I have never done huge banks, I am sure if you caled west mountain they would be able to answer your questions.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Martin B View Post
                            Tom, John, Woody,

Thanks,
                            Martin B
                            Hi Martin B,

I only have a CBA2, but I've never had a problem monitoring charge cycles on big batteries with a big SG. I've used it to do charge monitor tests on a 10 coiler drawing 6A @ 24v into a large bank without any problems.

John K.

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted to through my 2 cents in here as well. When charging a battery bank with the CBA attached always make sure you have a rock solid connection with the SSG and the battery, you cannot afford one radiant spike to enter the CBA... I know this because a spike took out my CBA and travelled through the USB into my computer and took out anything attached to the USB system. My mouse, keyboard were totally destroyed electronically and I am not sure about the other parts of the computer as I have not taken it in for repairs yet. I know I am going to see a hefty bill and I am a little annoyed at this prospect.

Perhaps use a old designated computer just for CBA testing and not your expensive computer or laptop, because this can happen if you are not careful.

Dave Wing

Comment

Working...
                              X