Bedini Circuit test points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini Circuit test points

Hi all, where in the bedini circuit would be the best probe points that will not frye an oscilloscope.

Br Elmar

Hi Emmibe,

Originally posted by Emmibe View Post
    Hi all, where in the bedini circuit would be the best probe points that will not frye an oscilloscope.

Br Elmar
    I usually check across the transistors (one at a time) with the ground connection attached to the run battery negative lead and the probe connected to the collector where it connects to the coil. This shows the wave form across the transistor. You can also fasten the scope's ground lead to the drive battery positive to see the wave form across the coil. This is a mirror image of what's across the transistor with the battery voltage added in.

I also usually place a sniffer coil near the charge battery leads and connect it to the second channel of my scope. It shows the high frequency ringing of the pulse that's hitting the battery. You can also see this with the sniffer coil near the run battery leads, and it is a mirror image of the pulse hitting the charge battery.

You can also scope the trigger coil both before the base resistor and after the base resistor.

As long as you have the charge battery connected, you'll probably never see over 90 volt spikes. With the charge battery disconnected, you will see 300 to 400 volt spikes which will also blow your transistors!! Don't do this unless you want to replace the transistors!! The scope will be fine if you have the probe and voltage scale set properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
      Hi Emmibe,

I usually check across the transistors (one at a time) with the ground connection attached to the run battery negative lead and the probe connected to the collector where it connects to the coil. This shows the wave form across the transistor. You can also fasten the scope's ground lead to the drive battery positive to see the wave form across the coil. This is a mirror image of what's across the transistor with the battery voltage added in.

I also usually place a sniffer coil near the charge battery leads and connect it to the second channel of my scope. It shows the high frequency ringing of the pulse that's hitting the battery. You can also see this with the sniffer coil near the run battery leads, and it is a mirror image of the pulse hitting the charge battery.

You can also scope the trigger coil both before the base resistor and after the base resistor.

As long as you have the charge battery connected, you'll probably never see over 90 volt spikes. With the charge battery disconnected, you will see 300 to 400 volt spikes which will also blow your transistors!! Don't do this unless you want to replace the transistors!! The scope will be fine if you have the probe and voltage scale set properly.
      Hi Gary,
      Just to add more to what you described....
      You may scope the Transistor for the 300-400V Spike with the Neon bulb across the Transistor Collector to emmitter or collector to positive line(across the coil) (this is usually not the practice).
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
      X