Bedini RPX Sideband Generator

* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

ONLY 150 118 90 2 SEATS AVAILABLE! - 2018 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: "Enhanced Generator" from JPKBook

Hi Jules,
    Thanks for adding the arrangement number to your chart, it helps me see what your doing better. I agree with Gary on your set up. Now if it were me I would pick arrangement 2 or 4 and work on dialing it in real good so I had a good starting point for development. I would also recommend discharging C1, C2, C3 some to get a more realistic view of the charging capability of your circuit. In the last tests you were working with the top end of your batteries charge curve where the curve is much shallower. Now have some fun with it.

Michael

Thanks Gary,

I know you have been adamant about this shorting route from top to bottom of the coils through the diodes and experiment would seem to bear that out although theory would suggest that at the HV frequency the coils are open circuit to the flow down that route due to the high coil inducatance. Maybe they are open circuit to the 'positive' flow but a short to the 'negative radiant' energy?

Besides the option you mention at the end to 'back pop' the drive battery, I think we agreed that the synchronised FET option I devised could also work to isolate that route and it might be interesting to see how both options work. I will put together some circuits to run by you.

At some stage I am also interested to either assemble a battery swapping system for charging two batteries, with each one acting as the drive battery without being charged, or a capacitor charge/discharge unit and probably both.

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Luton View Post
    Hi Jules,
    Now if it were me I would pick arrangement 2 or 4 and work on dialing it in real good so I had a good starting point for development. I would also recommend discharging C1, C2, C3 some to get a more realistic view of the charging capability of your circuit. In the last tests you were working with the top end of your batteries charge curve where the curve is much shallower. Now have some fun with it.

Michael
    Michael, there are various options open to me which is a good place to be. Arrangement 2 is amenable to a battery swapping system but first, before I remove the tripple wound coil I might look at the 'back popping' the battery option and also a route I devised to isolate the shorting route that Gary identified. Busy autumn coming up!

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Luton View Post
    Hi Jules,

My guess why you get better charging and higher speed with a lower drive current is that you are driving your coils past the saturation point for your particular coils. You want the coils to operate just under the saturation point, any current applied beyond the saturation point puts a drag on your system and wastes energy.

Michael
    Hi Michael,

I looked at the effect on the rotor of adding some resistance in series with the coils (between the bottom of the coils and the FET Drain) to see if reducing the current and the associated magnetisation would increase the rotor speed but the effect was to immediately start to slow the rotor down. When adding additional resistance from extra batteries, that seems to have a very different effect, possibly because it's in the output stage but at the moment I can't get my head around why that is so. Something to do with less load that the circuit sees I imagine and the way these circuits behave in contrast to ordinary motors.

Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hammond View Post
    Hi Jules,

The only way to charge the primary run battery is by using only the two isolated windings in the main run coil with bridge diodes connecting them back to the run battery.
    Hi Gary,

I have come up with a circuit that I think does what you suggest for 'back popping' and integrated it into my 'basic' Hall switched circuit, but I also have in mind the sketch that you sent to me earlier. The three coils with grey lines through them are lizted on one coil. Have I got this right?

Thank you

Jules
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JulesP; 09-21-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesP View Post
    Hi Michael,

I looked at the effect on the rotor of adding some resistance in series with the coils (between the bottom of the coils and the FET Drain) to see if reducing the current and the associated magnetisation would increase the rotor speed but the effect was to immediately start to slow the rotor down. When adding additional resistance from extra batteries, that seems to have a very different effect, possibly because it's in the output stage but at the moment I can't get my head around why that is so. Something to do with less load that the circuit sees I imagine and the way these circuits behave in contrast to ordinary motors.

Jules
    Hi Jules,
    My thoughts, and I could be wrong with your set up, are its more about controlling the timing than controlling the current directly. The saturation point is controlled by the amount of time the FET is turned on. A shorter on time will allow less current to flow into your coils and reduce the saturation and decrease the cycle time to your next pulse, a shorter cycle time gives a higher frequency and therefore a faster rotation of your wheel. Adding resistance where you did does not decrease the time for the gate of the FET to switch off so you don't decrease the saturation. As far as timing your goals are to charge your coil to just below the saturation point, immediately discharge the coil as fast as possible, and set up for the next cycle. You are correct that adding impedance at different points in your circuit has different effects. It all needs to be thought out as to how these impedances effect the time constants of the different elements in your circuit and how that result effects your timing.

Play and have some fun with it.

Michael

Hi Jules,

Quote Originally Posted by JulesP View Post
    Hi Gary,

I have come up with a circuit that I think does what you suggest for 'back popping' and integrated it into my 'basic' Hall switched circuit, but I also have in mind the sketch that you sent to me earlier. The three coils with grey lines through them are lizted on one coil. Have I got this right?

Thank you

Jules
    The circuit you came up with should work quite well! It is a common ground "generator mode" circuit. And if you want to change it to "radiant mode" just connect the negative end of the charging battery to the top of the coils which is also the drive battery positive. (And yes, you are correct about the three windings litzed on one coil in that schetch. One is the trigger winding, one is the power winding, and the other one is the recovery winding in Classic Bedini fashion.)

In your new circuit you can also install the common terminal of a single pole, double throw switch to the charging battery negative and then one switched terminal to the drive battery positive and the other switched terminal to the drive battery negative. This will allow you to easily switch back and forth from "generator mode" to "radiant" mode with only the flick of a switch! This is how I have my Bedini SSG configured and it works great for experimenting and making comparisons. And in radiant mode you could charge several batteries in series as you've already discovered.

Besides the option you mention at the end to 'back pop' the drive battery, I think we agreed that the synchronised FET option I devised could also work to isolate that route and it might be interesting to see how both options work. I will put together some circuits to run by you.

At some stage I am also interested to either assemble a battery swapping system for charging two batteries, with each one acting as the drive battery without being charged, or a capacitor charge/discharge unit and probably both.
    I like all these ideas.
    Last edited by Gary Hammond; 09-21-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: clarification
    Gary Hammond,

Hi all, I changed the wiring of the 4 coils to parallel wired.
    It gives much better rpm compared to series wired and more effective charging of the charge battery.
    A full wave bridge was tried off the other 3 coils into the charge battery, however, they did not generate enough voltage to push any current.
    A couple more coils would do the job though.
    Still testing different arrangements, though this one is looking pretty good at the moment.
    peace love light
    Here is circuit I am testing.

Last edited by SkyWatcher; 09-21-2018 at 10:36 PM.

'Back Pop' and mode switch

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hammond View Post
    Hi Jules,

In your new circuit you can also install the common terminal of a single pole, double throw switch to the charging battery negative and then one switched terminal to the drive battery positive and the other switched terminal to the drive battery negative. This will allow you to easily switch back and forth from "generator mode" to "radiant" mode with only the flick of a switch! This is how I have my Bedini SSG configured and it works great for experimenting and making comparisons. And in radiant mode you could charge several batteries in series as you've already discovered.
    Hi Gary,

You mean like the attached?

From what I have read the 'Generator' mode is more efficient and makes best use of the extracted energy but it would be worth experimenting to see the difference, especially to compare having 2/3 additional batteries in both modes.

For my bridge rectifier do I need 1000V rated diodes or can I use the IN5408?

I should be in a position to test my 'double FET isolator' circuit early next week and will report back - and of course the other developments as I come to them and get results. I have a good circuit for the battery swapper and for the cap dump I am reading up on time vs voltage based methods. I'm hoping that when the time comes you or others will be able to guide me on the optimum circuit and related matters

Jules
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JulesP; 09-22-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Hi Skywatcher,

Nice to see another exploring different angles on this design approach. The model I'm working with uses parallel coils which can lead to quite high currents when the combined resistance of them is less than 2 ohms! However, at optimum battery loading the current does drop to less than 0.3A which keeps the FET cool. Have you been able to get any charging, or delayed discharge, of the drive battery with or without charging additional batteries?

Jules