Charging 3 105 AH batteries with SSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    I'd always suggest the C20 charge/discharge rate if you can. You can get away with pushing it harder every now and then but for a deep cycle I'd never push it harder than C10.

Remember that heat is your enemy. Heat = wasted energy and shorter lifetime. Keep it cool, keep it forever

As for your "interesting behaviour", I've seen that too. I have no idea if it's a by-product of radiant charging. I've usually put it down to loading the battery too hard at the start.

John K.
    Thanks JK for the clarification.
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
      Thanks JK! How fast and safey can we Radiantly charge the Battery? suppose its a100Ah battery (deep cycle flodded) consideringa de-rating factor and effective capacity of 96Ah and say a rate of C5 charging and discharge rate of 5hr (19.2A Load current). is that the maximum one can go?
      Also, I have seen an interesting behavior with the SG charged battery.. A fully charged Battery when subjected to the load dips down in the terminal Voltage very fast up to a point and then starts to rise up from there and kind of oscillate in this fashion. Now, is'nt that a characteristic to the Radiant Kind of Charging?
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      What kind of load are you talking about? Inductive or resistive? The radiant charged batteries work phenomenally well with resistive loads. They can sometimes act goofy with inductive loads.

But like John said, most of what you explained is from overloading the battery from my experience.
      Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
        What kind of load are you talking about? Inductive or resistive? The radiant charged batteries work phenomenally well with resistive loads. They can sometimes act goofy with inductive loads.

But like John said, most of what you explained is from overloading the battery from my experience.
        Hi Aaron,
        Yes, they are Resitive loads 100W X 5 Nos.(500W). I remember JB saying it in his 2nd DVD that SSG (10Coiler video) Charged batteries are very good for running DC Motors (brushed) which is perhaps same as using a sine-wave inverter to run loads and recharge the front.
        I have experienced this too with Inductive loads like a PMDC Motor performs very well with kind of gain in torque.
        I guess Full patent would do even better..my next experiment now.
        Rgds,
        Faraday88.

Comment

Hi Aaron,
          Yes, they are Resitive loads 100W X 5 Nos.(500W). I remember JB saying it in his 2nd DVD that SSG (10Coiler video) Charged batteries are very good for running DC Motors (brushed) which is perhaps same as using a sine-wave inverter to run loads and recharge the front.
          I have experienced this too with Inductive loads like a PMDC Motor performs very well with kind of gain in torque.
          I guess Full patent would do even better..my next experiment now.
          Rgds,
          Faraday88.
          That's interesting - the long time understanding is that batteries charged with spikes like on a SSG should not be rotated to the front because they're not good with inductive loads, which the SSG definitely is. The spikes have to be converted to positive energy first by taking the spikes to a capacitor then dumping the cap to the output battery. John's original term for that is "Forward Conversion". Then, the batteries will be fine for both kinds of loads and can be cycled to the front of the energizers as well as being totally compatible with conventional chargers.
          Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
            That's interesting - the long time understanding is that batteries charged with spikes like on a SSG should not be rotated to the front because they're not good with inductive loads, which the SSG definitely is. The spikes have to be converted to positive energy first by taking the spikes to a capacitor then dumping the cap to the output battery. John's original term for that is "Forward Conversion". Then, the batteries will be fine for both kinds of loads and can be cycled to the front of the energizers as well as being totally compatible with conventional chargers.
            Thanks Aaron for your comments and inputs on the above, i shall post my experimental observations next after a try out the full patent,
            Tesla Nodes, and the branch current that are the next course of actions for these trials.
            Rgds,
            Faraday88.

Comment

Hi all,

I spent most of this afternoon running my SSG with the "split-the-negative" four 105AH battery rotation set up some more. It was pulling 84 LEDs from the two genny coils as well, and running about 210 RPM with double spikes to the charge battery. All four batteries were fully charged at the start ranging from 12.96 to 13.02 volts. As stated previously in this thread, these batteries are too large for this machine to top off at 15 volts. However I remember John suggesting that when doing load tests to stay within the normal working voltage range for maximum COP.

So I decided to run each cycle for only 6 minutes to see what would happen. I ran each battery through four complete rotations (16 cycles of 6 minutes each). Each battery under charge started out climbing from 12.9 volts to 13.4 volts and on the last rotation they were all climbing to 13.5 volts in six minutes. So they were maintaining charge and even gaining a little.

My conclusion is that it was giving me a little bit over-unity and maintaining charge running this way similar to keeping a trickle charger on them all the time. I do periodically top them all off to 15 volts with my 10A12 charger, but they always drop back to just under 13 volts after a few days.

I load tested one of them about 4-1/2 months ago at the C20 rate and it put out 104 AH. I will load test again to see if they are losing, gaining, or maintaining capacity.

Comment

Thanks Aaron for your comments and inputs on the above, i shall post my experimental observations next after a try out the full patent,
                Tesla Nodes, and the branch current that are the next course of actions for these trials.
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                Here is My Dual monopole in action.https://youtu.be/ZgmTgCfRLVg
                The Dual coils allow the batteries to be charged in Parallel or in Series (Branch current)
                This particular set up is designed for parallel charging a set of 4 batteries.
                Load testing and COP calculation underway...Qualitatively though the batteries seem to give out more the more you load them (kind of a anti-Puerkt law) and charge right up faster (DC Resistive load) this is in premise with what JK said in his post earlier.
                Thanks Aaron/JK
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.
                Last edited by Faraday88; 04-10-2019, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Here is My Dual monopole in action.https://youtu.be/ZgmTgCfRLVg
                  The Dual coils allow the batteries to be charged in Parallel or in Series (Branch current)
                  Load testing and COP calculation underway...Qualitatively though the batteries seem to give out more the more you load them (kind of a anti-Puerkt law) and charge right up faster (DC Resistive load) this is in premise with what JK said in his post earlier.
                  Thanks Aaron/JK
                  Rgds,
                  Faraday88.
                  Load testing and COP calculation underway...Qualitatively though the batteries seem to give out more the more you load them (kind of a anti-Puerkt law) and charge right up faster (DC Resistive load) this is in premise with what JK said in his post earlier. attached CBA discharge profile @C20 rate. This Battery measured 12.29V when purchased. I was looking for batteries in the range 13.25V or above since these would reliably of good quality. to my surprise the gel cells in the shop were all in the same range of 12.35-40V
                  Over the years the quality of these gel cells have declined. None of the previous batteries I purchased have stood up the test for a capacity test.
                  Thanks Aaron/JK
                  Rgds,
                  Faraday88.[/QUOTE]
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	April 12 2019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	50166

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
                    Thanks for the feedback. What you are saying sounds about right. In the normal single battery supply my 7 strand SSG will charge a 13AH lawn battery to well over 16 volts. It does it very quickly in generator mode and a little slower in radiant mode. And it will push a 30AH car battery well over 15 volts in generator mode. It's definitely too small for the 100AH batteries I'm playing with now. I may add more coils to it at a later date. In the meantime, I'm just topping them off with my 10A12 charger to keep them in reasonably good condition.
                    Hi Gary, were you able to continue these tests?
                    I'm curious because from what I read on this thread, I should consider adding around 5 coils with each of them operated by the 7 or 8 transistor circuit... to be able to charge 105Ah batteries to the (for rejuvenation) required 15,3V topping voltage.

Comment

Also, I have seen an interesting behavior with the SG charged battery.. A fully charged Battery when subjected to the load dips down in the terminal Voltage very fast up to a point and then starts to rise up from there and kind of oscillate in this fashion. Now, is'nt that a characteristic to the Radiant Kind of Charging?
                      This sounds to me that the the battery is somehow capacitive, and load is somehow inductive - both with very low impedance and very little losses.
                      I'd expect this is a slowly dying RC oscillation as energy is going forwards and backwards?

Comment

Hi Psiegers,

Originally posted by psiegers View Post

Hi Gary, were you able to continue these tests?
                        I have not yet built a multicoil SSG. So no, I haven't continued on with these tests.

I'm curious because from what I read on this thread, I should consider adding around 5 coils with each of them operated by the 7 or 8 transistor circuit... to be able to charge 105Ah batteries to the (for rejuvenation) required 15,3V topping voltage.
                        That is a correct observation.

Gary Hammond,

Comment

Working...
                        X