This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have SG or Monopole problems? Read this first

When you ask a question, or when starting a thread with a question, please post the following information with your question:

Wire size and length of wire , and what size the trigger wire is if it is different from the power wire
    Number of wires on the spool
    Number of magnets on the Rotor and type of magnets
    Free spin time of the rotor with the coil removed
    Type of transistor or transistors, and if you matched the components
    Type of battery you are trying to charge
    Is it a single or multi coil machine

what steps you have already taken to remedy the problem.

Please have pictures to upload of your circuit and your wheel.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Hi,

I'm a beginner and this is my first posting. I've purchased and read the beginner's and intermediate books for the SSG monopole energizer. I've ordered and received the 8 curcuit SSG Bedini circuit board, 24 magnets, 5 spools, welding rod packets and 23 gauge wire from Renaissance Charge. I've order the other components from Mouser, etc. as suggested in the books. I've watched the Lindemann video on how to build an SSG. I've made the coil with help from a couple of friends. I've attached the magnets to a bicycle wheel. I've built the framework and mounted the wheel and the coil. This is where I start having problems. The 8 circuit board appears different from the board that is available in the complete kits and is therefore different from what Lindemann is using in his video. I've tried to follow the schematic diagram on page 62 of the beginner's book and I'm not sure if I have stuffed the board correctly. I wired it up, connected it to a battery, got the "thump" but it doesn't run. The lights don't light up. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting but I think I really need a stuffing diagram for this board. Is there one available somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by CONDALIA View Post
      Hi,

I'm a beginner and this is my first posting. I've purchased and read the beginner's and intermediate books for the SSG monopole energizer. I've ordered and received the 8 curcuit SSG Bedini circuit board, 24 magnets, 5 spools, welding rod packets and 23 gauge wire from Renaissance Charge. I've order the other components from Mouser, etc. as suggested in the books. I've watched the Lindemann video on how to build an SSG. I've made the coil with help from a couple of friends. I've attached the magnets to a bicycle wheel. I've built the framework and mounted the wheel and the coil. This is where I start having problems. The 8 circuit board appears different from the board that is available in the complete kits and is therefore different from what Lindemann is using in his video. I've tried to follow the schematic diagram on page 62 of the beginner's book and I'm not sure if I have stuffed the board correctly. I wired it up, connected it to a battery, got the "thump" but it doesn't run. The lights don't light up. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting but I think I really need a stuffing diagram for this board. Is there one available somewhere?
      I would suggest you contact R charge for the diagram...... the neons are not supposed to light up, if they do you have a problem. start with 1 circuit one power strand and the trigger, when you have that working add power strands.

Tom C

Comment

Thanks Tom, I've emailed R-Charge twice and phoned them on three separate occasions. I've only been able to get the answering machine and have never gotten a response. I was hoping to locate one someplace else.

Comment

That's pretty poor after sales support from R-charge. I would've thought you would get a schematic with the board.

Be very careful when you desolder anything from those boards. The traces have a tendency to lift off the board.

At TeslagenX we are hoping to have an 8 transistor board out very soon, which will come with full schematics and instructions.

John K.

Comment

Yes I agree that R-Charge is lacking in customer support. I purchased a universal battery charger for $400 US, three sets of magnets (24 in each set), five plastic spools for the coils, a 3200 ft coil of 23 gauge enameled copper wire, three sets of welding rods, and three 8 circuit boards for the SSG for an additional $311 US. When placing the order I never received a confirmation via email that the order had been received or was being processed. I had no way of knowing if they were even still in business until I saw the charges appear on my credit card statement. Later, I received an email confirmation that the parts had been shipped. You would think that with a combined order of over $700 US they would be more responsive. They really need to get someone to set up their customer service system. It seems very slip-shod.

John V.

Comment

Hi Tom,

Not seeing 1:1 charging.

Wire size and length of wire , and what size the trigger wire is if it is different from the power wire

pwr strandsare #20wire, trigger is #23. 130ft length, litzed.

Number of wires on the spool

7 pwr strands plus trigger on master coil.

Number of magnets on the Rotor and type of magnets

21, c-8, 16"rim

Free spin time of the rotor with the coil removed

8:30 (8min, 30 sec)

Type of transistor or transistors, and if you matched the components

MJL21194. trannys, base resistors, charge diodes are matched.

Type of battery you are trying to charge

Walmart lawn and garden

Is it a single or multi coil machine

Single

What steps you have already taken to remedy the problem.

Bought 8 new batts.

Charge run batts with 2A12 charger.

Started with etched cct board with huge traces but now have new manual copy with #6 wire in and out.

Continuing runs. Am draw is .7A

Please have pictures to upload of your circuit and your wheel.

bro d
              Attached Files
              Last edited by brodonh; 07-20-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Hey bro,

What are the base resistors? Are you running in attraction mode?

John K

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                  Hey bro,

What are the base resistors? Are you running in attraction mode?

John K
                  Hi John K,

The base resistors are 470ohm, running in attraction mode.

My wheel is not loaded and it seems that loading the wheel has a significant effect and it is important to JB especially with the bike wheel.

In the last DVD's he said that he wanted to stay under a certain rpm for the demo, hence the two fans.

Also, when I bought the bunch of new walmart batts I didn't realize that even though they look the same there are different versions.

Presently I have an exact matched pair running and the charge batt was drained to 12v and the run was fully charged (16.2.v)

We'll see in the AM. Got to get the bike wheel right before trying to solve the 5 coiler issues.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

bro d

PS Don't understand the gap setting. It's at about 5/16" at present. and runs at 400rpm.
                  If it's at minimum then it runs at close to 500 At 3/16" it runs at 450.
                  What are the symptoms of a correct gap?
                  Last edited by brodonh; 07-20-2013, 07:50 PM.

Comment

do you have the final 12 ohm resistor in there? what is your primary current draw? too much current possibly. I found on mine I had to add a 33 ohm resistor as a base resistor before the branch resistor to get my current down. Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                      do you have the final 12 ohm resistor in there? what is your primary current draw? too much current possibly. I found on mine I had to add a 33 ohm resistor as a base resistor before the branch resistor to get my current down. Tom C
                      Hi Tom,

What do you show for amp draw?

I'm seeing around .6-.7A.

When I checked it with an inline analog meter it initially showed .6A and than as the machine adjusted to the meter it showed .7A.

I have a 10ohm, 10W resistor which is soldered to the base resistor buss and then to a pot.

The total resistance is 45.8ohm from buss to coil trigger winding top. Yours sounds like 12 + 33 = 45.

bro d

Comment

Presently I have an exact matched pair running and the charge batt was drained to 12v and the run was fully charged (16.2.v)

We'll see in the AM. Got to get the bike wheel right before trying to solve the 5 coiler issues.

Hi John K,

I checked it this morning and the run batt was 11.97v and the charge was 13.01v before I turned it off.
                        Before the run the run batt was at 15.5v and chrg was at 12.22v.

Shouldn't I be able to see a fully charged result with 1:1 charging?

bro d

Comment

my sg pulls over one amp. you have big batteries and you are running at a 2 transistor draw rate. I like to see 200 to 250 milliamps per transistor. not sure why your current draw is so low for 7 transistors. that current draw would work better on smaller batteries. you need a bit more juice. work with your base resistance to get your current draw up. thats the thing it can be too hi or too low.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                            my sg pulls over one amp. you have big batteries and you are running at a 2 transistor draw rate. I like to see 200 to 250 milliamps per transistor. not sure why your current draw is so low for 7 transistors. that current draw would work better on smaller batteries. you need a bit more juice. work with your base resistance to get your current draw up. thats the thing it can be too hi or too low.

Tom C
                            Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I hear John B say that "it's a one amp machine."

I thought that his amp draw was 1A.

I checked each component in my circuit and thought I might find a defective device but they all seemed to be OK.

I then, made minimum connections with clip leads. And played with the gap. It's running now at 1.2A.

That is with matched 66 ohm resitors.

If the gap was 1/8" wider it wouldn't run.

Is your SSG running with #18 pwr windings at 130ft?

That should call for a little more amperage than my #20 coils, right?

I thought that maybe I was causing a problem by removing wire insulation with a butane torch.

What's the best way for that.

Thanks for your faithful help.

bro d

Comment

Hello all,
                              Another new builder here that was amazed by the possibilities of the SG and SSG. I have tried after watching many videos and reading countless forums to build my own monopole as close to possible to posted bedini schematics on a vcr head roter. The exception is that I dont have space and cash at this time for the actual bicycle wheel kit and all parts listed aren't readily available. Ok for the lack of schematic knowledge I have I am slowly learning them but from the many I have researched they are all basically the same as this YT video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttY7yLXZSpo.

My build is around 140 turns using 40 feet of 22-gauge run wire and 40 feet of 26-gauge trigger wire on bifilar on same spool it came from in radio shack 315' magnet wire set http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2036277
                              The magnet setup I have tried on hard drive using the curved neo's found inside of the hard drive using 1 epoxied on each side of disk as well as another setup consisting of vcr head with a cd-disc glued to top with 4 1" rectangle magnets from radio shack http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...=2103429spaced evenly like a + and a third setup on another vcr head with 4 tiny button neo's http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...ets-67488.html that i figured from the compass method have a north field while laying flat depending on which way it is filpped also in a + configuration.
                              Ok now free spin of the hard drive rotor is around 20-30 sec while both vcr head rotors will spin for 60-90 sec.
                              Here is where you guys are going to yell at me. Being on a budget and radio shack not having in stock the 3055 transistor I bought a combo pack for joule thief build consisting of 5 each 2n222a, 2n3904, and 2n4401. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062586. figuring this could be my main mistake can anyone tell me why these wouldnt work on a small scale such as recharging rechargable batteries aa, aaa, 9v with 6.2v lantern battery as power source or I have various cell phone wall worts that may also be power source depending on reccomendations.
                              The diodes are another part that I couldn't replicate but I think should still work. I did get the 4001 right but radio shack didn't have the 4007 in stock so I got a 4005 http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2049728 instead to go in its place.
                              Another scolding point is I can't find a ne-2 neon anywhere local so I am trying a 5v led just to see if I am getting a spike from the Emitter to Collector with charge battery disconnected. The LED is lit seemingly from the power source. I then attached DMM to those leads and nothing happens when I pass a magnet by the coil at any distance, it stays same voltage as power source. I have tested the coil for shorts used wire clothes hanger core and air core and I get nothing either way. I have set my circuit up according to all schematics that seem to be the same as youtube video and forums that I have read and I can't figure out where my problem is. If this isn't enough info I can take a picture of my set-up and post it here. Let me know any suggestions please.

Comment

Working...
                              X