X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bedini sg resistance problems

Here is a video for my bedini sg.
    YouTube

The problem i am having, is with my resistor. The only way i have been able to get my machine to opperate, is to bypass the resistor. It never works, ever, with a resistor or any size. I know that without a resistor, the amp draw will be very high, and the charging will be undesirable. What can i do to get my sg to function with a resistor? Currently, i am getting about 120-180 rmp with my wheel. I can change the dioide between the base and emitter, but i have tried several different circuits, with many different parts, and it never works untill i bypass the resistor.. So, I am sure that my machine ISNOT running correctly.

Originally posted by Gpilot View Post
    Here is a video for my bedini sg.
    YouTube

The problem i am having, is with my resistor. The only way i have been able to get my machine to opperate, is to bypass the resistor. It never works, ever, with a resistor or any size. I know that without a resistor, the amp draw will be very high, and the charging will be undesirable. What can i do to get my sg to function with a resistor? Currently, i am getting about 120-180 rmp with my wheel. I can change the dioide between the base and emitter, but i have tried several different circuits, with many different parts, and it never works untill i bypass the resistor.. So, I am sure that my machine ISNOT running correctly.
    please list
    wire size, length
    core material
    spool size

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

also freewheel time of rotor without coil, should be above 8 minutes
      magnet type
      coil to magnet gap

if your base circuit is not triggering it is because your magnets are not flipping the core of the coil. or you have a bad solder joint somewhere, or your coil is backwards. could be some other things, check those first.

Tom C

Comment

I made a new circuit from left over parts and got the machine running. I tried a 100 ohms resistor first, and it came to life. Now, should i test with different value resistors? Also, how can i test the amp draw with a basic multimeter? Before when i was running the machine with no resistor, the primary battery would loose the ability to power the wheel after about 20-24 hrs. What is a good time to shoot for, and will changing the resistance further improve running time?
        I am using 700-800 turns of .80mm and .56mm wire. My core is made of copper coated steel welding rods. The spool i ordered from r-charge and is speciffically for the bedini monopole.

Comment

I made a new circuit from left over parts and got the machine running. I tried a 100 ohms resistor first, and it came to life. Now, should i test with different value resistors? Also, how can i test the amp draw with a basic multimeter? Before when i was running the machine with no resistor, the primary battery would loose the ability to power the wheel after about 20-24 hrs. What is a good time to shoot for, and will changing the resistance further improve running time?
          I am using 700-800 turns of .80mm and .56mm wire. My core is made of copper coated steel welding rods. The spool i ordered from r-charge and is speciffically for the bedini monopole.
          you need a 1k variable pot for testing, put that in series with the resistor.
          you can use our multimeters ammeter function.

Tom C

Comment

On the video i noticed that the wheel was running clockwise.
            Is this the direction that is supposed to run?

Comment

It can run in either direction. It makes no difference.

Comment

Thanks, i always thought it should run counter clockwise

Comment

I have run it both clockwise and counterclockwise. Same same.

Comment

It seems when i added the 100 ohms resistor, i lost the ability to tune using my pot(1k). Should i lower my resistor to 50 ohms? I was able to charge up a few nonrechargable 9v today; that was rewarding.

Comment

It seems when i added the 100 ohms resistor, i lost the ability to tune using my pot(1k). Should i lower my resistor to 50 ohms? I was able to charge up a few nonrechargable 9v today; that was rewarding.
                      Gpilot, can you please decide which forum you are going to post in and stick with it? For people that are reading this thread it is very confusing as to what you are talking about.

John K.

Comment

Ok, my problem is that ever since i added the 100 ohms resistor to the base, i havent been able to tune the wheel. When i turn the pot, you can hear more current being passed, but it doesnt result in a higher rpm. It doesnt matter where the pot is, it seems the rmp is constant. Does this make sense?

Comment

Ok, my problem is that ever since i added the 100 ohms resistor to the base, i havent been able to tune the wheel. When i turn the pot, you can hear more current being passed, but it doesnt result in a higher rpm. It doesnt matter where the pot is, it seems the rmp is constant. Does this make sense?
                          please post complete specs of your machine, what you are using for the primary battery and please include pictures. dont expect any more help till you give us the info we need. there are too many variables otherwise.

magnet type
                          wheel diameter
                          number of magnets
                          wire size in AWG (american wire gauge)
                          length of wire
                          transistor number
                          diodes
                          battery types and sizes primary and charge.

Tom C

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
                            please post complete specs of your machine, what you are using for the primary battery and please include pictures. dont expect any more help till you give us the info we need. there are too many variables otherwise.

magnet type
                            wheel diameter
                            number of magnets
                            wire size in AWG (american wire gauge)
                            length of wire
                            transistor number
                            diodes
                            battery types and sizes primary and charge.

Tom C

Tom C
                            All you had to do is ask Tom.
                            Magnets: 16 ceramic 2"x1"x1/2"
                            Wheel: 22" aluminium bike rim
                            Wire: 700-800 turns of #20 and #23
                            Spool: standard for sg from r-charge site.
                            Core: copper coated steel welding rods
                            Transistor: 2n3055 (the better one is impossible to find in Italy)
                            Diodes: (2) N4001
                            Resistor: 100 ohms. (Also have most sizes from 50-1000 if needed)
                            Batteries: (2) lead acid 12v (ah unknown, but regular auto batteries). (2) lead acid 12v, 7.5ah
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	45099Click image for larger version

Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	45098Click image for larger version

Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	45100http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blKgyLQxcpA

Forgive me if some statements in the video are not completly accurate, i am still learning this stuff.

Comment

Something else i have noticed is my charging battery doesnt seem to be charging very well. My primary battery looses volts as it should, but the secondary battery never seems to charge as fast as the primary discharges. I havent seen the secondary battery stand above 12v for a while. When i was running the machine without the resistor, i was getting the secondary battery above 13.5v. Now, it seems to stay around 12.96v. I should at least be able to have 1 battery always above 12v if the machine is working right, and if i start with at least 1 battery above 12v. When i started, both batteries were sitting at 12.4v, +or- .2v.

Comment

Working...
                              X