Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulsing a coil with a cap pulser

Greetings fellow experimenters!

Sorry I have posted here for a long time.

I was working on an experiment over the weekend where I was taking the output of a Bedini Large Comparator to pulse a very large coil. Then I sent the output of the coil to a battery.

So far the results look impressive.

Has anyone else tried this experiment?

Cheers,

John K.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    Greetings fellow experimenters!

Sorry I have posted here for a long time.

I was working on an experiment over the weekend where I was taking the output of a Bedini Large Comparator to pulse a very large coil. Then I sent the output of the coil to a battery.

So far the results look impressive.

Has anyone else tried this experiment?

Cheers,

John K.
    Hi JK,
    Very long time indeed!! nice to see you back!! This experiment can it not be done with out the Large Comparator... I mean a set up which has a standard Vanilla SSG and just that a Capacitor in place of the primary battery!!
    just my opinion that the Generator mode and standard mode flipp their positions in this case.
    the nature of the spike at the output is also inverted to the case where we have a primary as the battery. In this set up i would place a Capacitor at the out put connected to the now generator mode and not a battery.
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
      Hi JK,
      Very long time indeed!! nice to see you back!! This experiment can it not be done with out the Large Comparator... I mean a set up which has a standard Vanilla SSG and just that a Capacitor in place of the primary battery!!
      just my opinion that the Generator mode and standard mode flipp their positions in this case.
      the nature of the spike at the output is also inverted to the case where we have a primary as the battery. In this set up i would place a Capacitor at the out put connected to the now generator mode and not a battery.
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      You could use a smaller cap pulser, but I'm using the Large Comparator because the coil is my 81 strand #23 @ 3 ohms per strand. (It's a BIG coil).

I'm not using an SSG circuit. it's set up like a 3 battery switch and the coil is the load. Will post a schematic when I get some time.

Anyway, anyone tried this experiment?

John K.

Comment

You could use a smaller cap pulser, but I'm using the Large Comparator because the coil is my 81 strand #23 @ 3 ohms per strand. (It's a BIG coil).

I'm not using an SSG circuit. it's set up like a 3 battery switch and the coil is the load. Will post a schematic when I get some time.

Anyway, anyone tried this experiment?

John K.
        Thanks JK! Yes i realize that the SSG circuit is kind of akward to this topology especially when using Transistor to switch Capacitor dump (how knows a SSG circuit using a Power device dual to the IGBT say like base and source and drain)
        when you said its a Big coil i'm sure it meant low impedance, High- Inducatnce...and all these are Paralleled (81 strands) @ 3ohms per strands must not be very high turns ration.for that gauge.
        any way more as i learn more..
        Best Regards,
        Faraday88.

Comment

Thanks JK! Yes i realize that the SSG circuit is kind of akward to this topology especially when using Transistor to switch Capacitor dump (how knows a SSG circuit using a Power device dual to the IGBT say like base and source and drain)
          when you said its a Big coil i'm sure it meant low impedance, High- Inducatnce...and all these are Paralleled (81 strands) @ 3ohms per strands must not be very high turns ration.for that gauge.
          any way more as i learn more..
          Best Regards,
          Faraday88.
          Best way to learn is to do the experiment

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi John,

Not having an 81 strand coil could you let us know what results you have been getting?

Thanks,
              John.
              Cant spend it when your dead.

Comment

Hi JK,
                The Load coil seems to have primary and secondary sets of coils depcted in the second schematic next to it, represented by a SSG type (not actually one) and then an Inverter in parallel to the out put battery.
                The second schematic is the same as Peter L. presented in the 'beyond the advance' presentation.
                .......time to try out what it does??? double stage amplifier??
                Rgds,
                Faraday88.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuis View Post
                  Hi John,

Not having an 81 strand coil could you let us know what results you have been getting?

Thanks,
                  John.
                  @all odd number of coil
                  Rgds,
                  Faraday88.

Comment

Best way to learn is to do the experiment
                    You said it JK...Indeed!!
                    Rgds,
                    Faraday88.

Comment

Hi JK,
                      The Load coil seems to have primary and secondary sets of coils depcted in the second schematic next to it, represented by a SSG type (not actually one) and then an Inverter in parallel to the out put battery.
                      The second schematic is the same as Peter L. presented in the 'beyond the advance' presentation.
                      .......time to try out what it does??? double stage amplifier??
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      Hi JK,
                      Would like to buy a Large Comparator.. do you have a spare one for sale?? Teslagenx/Tesla chargers/Enegenx all closed production
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuis View Post
                        Hi John,

Thanks,
                        John.
                        Hey JD, as far as results go I'm still doing test runs. But compared to either straight DC current charging, standard SSG charging, or just pulsed DC charging with a cap dump this setup would appear to be the most efficient method. You don't need a big coil to prove the concept. Just about anyone on this forum should be able to replicate without too much difficulty.

The second picture will probably throw you off because what I'm running is a lot simpler. That diagram was just a bunch of ideas I was scribbling down.

What I was after is more like the first picture in a block diagram. Like I said and Faraday rightly picked up is the circuit is basically the "3 battery switch" that PL showed - but not like the one most people have built. What I wanted was a setup that can squeeze everything out of a solar panel and efficiently charge a battery with it. Note that at this point while I'm testing I've been using a lab power supply to simulate the solar panel.

Here's how it works:

The Large Comparator is connected to the output of a solar panel, which in this case will be a 24V 200W panel. It will put out an Voc of around 45v in direct sunlight with a maximum of 5A. The Ctv (capacitor trigger voltage) on the comparator is set to ~25V.
                        The load coil is 81 strands of #23 (0.5mm), 64 strands are being used for the "power" winding and 16 strands are used as the "output" winding. The output winding is connected to the AC side of a FWBR as in the schematic I scribbled. The DC output of the FWBR is connected to the charge battery. The coil has an "air" core. (Please ignore the transistor at the bottom of the power winding and also the output diode. they are NOT in this circuit. I will scribble a better schematic some time in the future)
                        The battery is a 12V deep cycle LAB.

As per a "3 battery switch" the Comparator output is the "2 series batteries" for 25VDC. The coil is obviously the load and the battery is the "3rd battery".

But unlike a "3 battery switch" I', not using a constant DC current to charge the battery - I'm using the output of the comparator to "pulse charge" the coil and in turn the battery. When the comparator discharges its caps a very high current 25v pulse is placed over the charge battery and the coil which are in series.

During the comparator discharge pulse two things happen at the same time. Firstly, the coil is charged and secondly the battery gets a high current pulse charge.

Now, as soon as the pulse from the comparator is completed the coil discharges (a very high potential "radiant" spike) through the FWBR and then to the charge battery.

Effectively the charge battery is getting two massive charge pulses for every discharge pulse from the comparator.

What I really like about this setup is it's simplicity and it's efficiency. The comparator is the only device that is doing all of the switching. Aside from some switching losses in the comparator, everything else is being captured by the battery. There is no heat in the coil and no heating of the battery. I also like that it uses a lot of the concepts that JB has taught us.

But to replicate this you'll need something to regulate the current into the comparator. Do not use a couple of 12v batteries in series or a 24v battery as the comparator/cap pulser input.
                        My setup on a lab power supply running at 3A input will have the Large Comparator dumping at around 4Hz. You probably want to start with something smaller. Just grab a standard coil like an 8 strand and take 2 strands for the output winding. Any cap pulser will probably work, as long as you can set the dump voltage to about 2 times the charge battery voltage. Go slow at first with little current charging your caps, so you can visualise what's happening.

On the weekend I'll do a short video of my setup in operation and I'll show you the scope shot you're looking for. With a bit of luck I'll have it hooked up to a solar panel as well.

John K.

Comment

Hi JK,
                          Would like to buy a Large Comparator.. do you have a spare one for sale?? Teslagenx/Tesla chargers/Enegenx all closed production
                          Rgds,
                          Faraday88.
                          Hi Faraday. Email sales@teslagenx.com. Looks like we're still taking orders on the website, but I haven't checked with Tom C to see if we're supplying them or not. I only have the one I'm using and don't expect I'll be selling it.

Comment

Hi Faraday. Email sales@teslagenx.com. Looks like we're still taking orders on the website, but I haven't checked with Tom C to see if we're supplying them or not. I only have the one I'm using and don't expect I'll be selling it.
                            Hi JK,
                            Thanks a lot! very comprehensive explanation above to JD's post its very encouraging to see you back!
                            i can always wait even if it would take time for the production to commence.. Aaron had some plans on that which means the supply would reflect at Teslagenx as well!
                            in the mean time it experiments with all that is around us
                            cheers!
                            Faraday88.

Comment

Hey JD, as far as results go I'm still doing test runs. But compared to either straight DC current charging, standard SSG charging, or just pulsed DC charging with a cap dump this setup would appear to be the most efficient method. You don't need a big coil to prove the concept. Just about anyone on this forum should be able to replicate without too much difficulty.

The second picture will probably throw you off because what I'm running is a lot simpler. That diagram was just a bunch of ideas I was scribbling down.

What I was after is more like the first picture in a block diagram. Like I said and Faraday rightly picked up is the circuit is basically the "3 battery switch" that PL showed - but not like the one most people have built. What I wanted was a setup that can squeeze everything out of a solar panel and efficiently charge a battery with it. Note that at this point while I'm testing I've been using a lab power supply to simulate the solar panel.

Here's how it works:

The Large Comparator is connected to the output of a solar panel, which in this case will be a 24V 200W panel. It will put out an Voc of around 45v in direct sunlight with a maximum of 5A. The Ctv (capacitor trigger voltage) on the comparator is set to ~25V.
                              The load coil is 81 strands of #23 (0.5mm), 64 strands are being used for the "power" winding and 16 strands are used as the "output" winding. The output winding is connected to the AC side of a FWBR as in the schematic I scribbled. The DC output of the FWBR is connected to the charge battery. The coil has an "air" core. (Please ignore the transistor at the bottom of the power winding and also the output diode. they are NOT in this circuit. I will scribble a better schematic some time in the future)
                              The battery is a 12V deep cycle LAB.

As per a "3 battery switch" the Comparator output is the "2 series batteries" for 25VDC. The coil is obviously the load and the battery is the "3rd battery".

But unlike a "3 battery switch" I', not using a constant DC current to charge the battery - I'm using the output of the comparator to "pulse charge" the coil and in turn the battery. When the comparator discharges its caps a very high current 25v pulse is placed over the charge battery and the coil which are in series.

During the comparator discharge pulse two things happen at the same time. Firstly, the coil is charged and secondly the battery gets a high current pulse charge.

Now, as soon as the pulse from the comparator is completed the coil discharges (a very high potential "radiant" spike) through the FWBR and then to the charge battery.

Effectively the charge battery is getting two massive charge pulses for every discharge pulse from the comparator.

What I really like about this setup is it's simplicity and it's efficiency. The comparator is the only device that is doing all of the switching. Aside from some switching losses in the comparator, everything else is being captured by the battery. There is no heat in the coil and no heating of the battery. I also like that it uses a lot of the concepts that JB has taught us.

But to replicate this you'll need something to regulate the current into the comparator. Do not use a couple of 12v batteries in series or a 24v battery as the comparator/cap pulser input.
                              My setup on a lab power supply running at 3A input will have the Large Comparator dumping at around 4Hz. You probably want to start with something smaller. Just grab a standard coil like an 8 strand and take 2 strands for the output winding. Any cap pulser will probably work, as long as you can set the dump voltage to about 2 times the charge battery voltage. Go slow at first with little current charging your caps, so you can visualise what's happening.

On the weekend I'll do a short video of my setup in operation and I'll show you the scope shot you're looking for. With a bit of luck I'll have it hooked up to a solar panel as well.

John K.
                              'Ring the bell twice'
                              Rgds,
                              Faraday88.

Comment

Working...
                              X