2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid state SSG

Solid state SSG

Greetings,
    I have build an SS SSG from an SSG monopole circuit conversion. It seems to have been tuned ok at the moment and does it's job as it is supposed to.
    I would like to upgrade to a six or more filar circuit and on youtube i have found two diagrams.
    One from min2oly and one from blackchisel97.

Between those two there are some major differences.
    I was wondering if some of you could provide on this thread some of your diagrams, the final and working ones, so as to proceed to the construction of the circuit.
    It would be nice to have a thread dedicated for this device and it would also be nice if we could join as a team so as to improve it through experimentation.

With regards,

Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    Greetings,
    I have build an SS SSG from an SSG monopole circuit conversion. It seems to have been tuned ok at the moment and does it's job as it is supposed to.
    I would like to upgrade to a six or more filar circuit and on youtube i have found two diagrams.
    One from min2oly and one from blackchisel97.

Between those two there are some major differences.
    I was wondering if some of you could provide on this thread some of your diagrams, the final and working ones, so as to proceed to the construction of the circuit.
    It would be nice to have a thread dedicated for this device and it would also be nice if we could join as a team so as to improve it through experimentation.

With regards,

Thanos
    use patricks (min2oly)

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Patrick's SS SG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    use patricks (min2oly)

Tom C
    Hi. I've just built the SS along the lines of Patrick's SS, with the cap/diode modification. I haven't got the two big caps on the front and back end like he has though. I'm wondering two things: firstly, what are the function of these in the circuit?; second, I've just googled 3300mF 350V capacitors, as used by Patrick, and they're 60-100 each!! Is it necessary to have such big, expensive caps, or can you / someone recommend a cheaper alternative?

Cheers .. R

Hi Rob,
    As a cheaper alternative, you can find some pretty good deals on these caps on eBay.
    I located one guy for you here:
    2900UF 350V DC AEROVOX ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS | eBay
    This fellow sells them for about 15.00 each

Take care

Capacitors

Hello,
    I have bought mine from ebay also.
    It had no charge for postage.

Picked up 2 nichicon 10,000uF 400v from the scrapyard yesterday. Lucky day...
    I was charged according to weight!!! 190nt$(New Taiwan Dollar) or about 6.30US$ for them and a few other things. lol.
    Love the Taiwanese scrapyards!
    Martin B
    Last edited by Martin B; 03-17-2013 at 07:44 PM.

I haven't tested COP on mine yet but I would guess it is probably over 1.

I have one I use to charge two 75 AH batteries with one 100 AH on a regular basis. The primary still has more juice at the end but I just charge it back up for the next run.

In early testing I was charging one 75 AH with the other and again the primary still had more juice.

This charger works very well and I suspect if I had made more power legs it would do even better. It has three strands of 18 AWG 200 ft. One is used for the trigger and two for power. Also using Patrick's cap diode mod.

I plan to build a bigger version of this where I will use 4 power windings to capitalize on the branch diode design more.

Here is a shot of the 2 transistor model.

BobSS.jpg

How are people tuning their SS SG's? I've never read a definitive guide to tuning a SS SG and would be interested on what methods people are using.

I pretty much tune to the C20 rate of the primary, as long as nothing apart from the main base resistor gets hot.

John K.

All else being equal, I tune to BTDC of resonance, keeping within temperature and C20 tolerances.
    -KR
    Patrick