* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: One-Coil SG 3D

Quote Originally Posted by wrtner View Post
    I am building a basic SG and the recommended magnets, C8, 2" x 1" x 0.5 are expensive. Will I get sufficient results from ceramic, C8, round 1" dia x 0.3" which cost a quarter of the price?
    These are the magnets that I used for this project: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...cks-98406.html They only have a 3lb pull force. They are adequate enough to activate the transistor via the trigger coil. I'm not sure if they are C8, but they are only 99 cent right now for a 2-pack. They are easily sourced as long as you have a HF in your area.

I've used circle ceramics before. They worked. I don't think that it matters too much what the shape of the magnet is that you use. The only one that you may have trouble with is a ring magnet when using a trigger coil. The abrupt nsn or sns that you get with a ring magnet is where the trouble comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by DMANN View Post
    These are the magnets that I used for this project: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...cks-98406.html They only have a 3lb pull force. They are adequate enough to activate the transistor via the trigger coil. I'm not sure if they are C8, but they are only 99 cent right now for a 2-pack. They are easily sourced as long as you have a HF in your area.

I've used circle ceramics before. They worked. I don't think that it matters too much what the shape of the magnet is that you use. The only one that you may have trouble with is a ring magnet when using a trigger coil. The abrupt nsn or sns that you get with a ring magnet is where the trouble comes from.
    Here's where I get mine. Best price I've found and very fast shipping. http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...roducts_id=255
    Gary Hammond,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hammond View Post
    Here's where I get mine. Best price I've found and very fast shipping. http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...roducts_id=255
    They look very good. Their web site is a nightmare if you live outside the US (or Puerto Rico, Canada or Mexico). I have emailed them and wait in anticipation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DMANN View Post

Hi DMANN,
    The face of a Magnet is where the lines of force are normal to its surface. in a ring magnet the magnetization is done diameterically to the ring geometry..hence if one assume to use the ring magnet same a flat round magnet.it would behave like what you said..NSN or SNS.
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    ‘Mass is the Spatial density of Matter (Particle) and the Temporal Intensity of Space (Field)’.

When compiling the core out of 1.6mm dia R45 welding rods, copper coated, is it a good idea to dip them in paint or varnish to reduce eddy currents?

Soak them in water for a day or so, till they form a patina (rust) on the copper, let them dry, and you have natural insulation from the copper patina. JB told me about doing this early on.
    Last edited by RS_; 11-21-2017 at 09:14 PM.

An excellent idea, RS. A squirt of lemon juice might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by wrtner View Post
    this would corrode the rod too much..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    ‘Mass is the Spatial density of Matter (Particle) and the Temporal Intensity of Space (Field)’.

Quote Originally Posted by Faraday88 View Post
    this would corrode the rod too much..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    I think you are quite right. I was expecting a green layer of a salt. Do you reckon dunking them in a gloss paint is the better move to cut down eddy current issues?
    Last edited by wrtner; 11-23-2017 at 10:26 AM.