Bedini 1984, 2017 style.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Yaro,

These tests are purely measuring the output spike when a magnet passes the standard coil at measured speed.
    The motor is isolated from the circuit and at the moment isn't relevant, however it will be later on.
    I was specifically looking at coil voltages and wave patterns So i could deduce the best arrangements.
    I wanted to see correlations between velocity, voltage, frequencies and also saturation levels
    This test can be used to calibrate magnet strength, determine core saturation and compare to other magnet arrangements soon to come.
    For instance I expected a higher voltage with the magnet clusters but this wasn't the case, I assume due to saturation of the core but even at lower RPM the peaks were still smaller than the 12 magnet wheel.
    The wheel itself can have any arrangement of up to 36 mounts, I will be posting scalar patterns and also ring magnet passes to identify the best speed / number / type / frequency / core material / coil size so I can accurately figure out my design going forward.
    This is all about sorting out the biggest wheel for the least power per magnet pass.
    A lot of variables here but I hope someone else can benefit by the posting of raw data on the standard coil.

The ebike wheel itself and power consumption is being used as a yard stick, with better aerodynamics I can reduce power output but it's not a concern of mine yet. I will be using it as a reverse meter of sorts. The SG circuit will be hooked up eventually, isolated from the motor and I can use the motor to assist or create drag for experiments on mechanical loads or power assist.

The adaptability and reliability of the wheel is immense.
    No more guessing for me.

Yes the wheel bead nuts, magnet holder and coil holder are all 3D printed.
    I was sceptical of 3d printers but they are insanely good.
    Once I finished final design work in CAD I just printed as many as I needed.

Originally posted by Yaro1776 View Post
    Yo John,

Happy Valentines Day and thanks for your complete test results and pics on the magnet cluster progression. Nice meaty spikes generated that multiply the output for a minimum additional input. As a suggestion an accompanying chart with the freewheel data without magnets would be useful to establish the input baseline.

For us neophytes it would be useful to briefly explain your goal in these experiments and to broaden the perspective. Nice work on the coil holder - assume that the 3D printer was in play here.

BTW - the attachment in post #11 is MIA.

Thanks for sharing your neat and informative work - glad to see you are still active after a short hiatus.
    Cant spend it when your dead.

Comment

Wheel bead locker with Magnet holder.
      Bead nut screws in and the holder locks it from moving with 4mm stainless bolt through the middle.
      Centre circle locks into the wheel spoke hole accurately placing the nut at a specified angle in divisions of 10 degrees.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Nut profile.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	49732Click image for larger version

Name:	Holder top.JPG
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	49733Click image for larger version

Name:	Holder bottome.JPG
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	49734Click image for larger version

Name:	Full unit.JPG
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	49735
      Last edited by Deuis; 02-16-2018, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Test Data on an 8 Filar 18ga Bedini Spec coil in series.
        36 Magnets spaced 53mm apart.
        Frequency held fairly well but voltage is way down indicating core saturation issues or possibly magnet field problems.

Name:	IMG_20180222_152659833.jpg
Size:	1,001.0 KB
ID:	49738 Click image for larger version

Name:	36mags.JPG
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	49739

Comment

Test Data on an 8 Filar 18ga Bedini Spec coil in Parallel.
          36 Magnets spaced 53mm apart.
          Some crazy harmonics riding up and down the wave.

Name:	IMG_20180222_163625427.jpg
Size:	1,013.5 KB
ID:	49740Click image for larger version

Name:	36 paralell.JPG
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	49741Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180222_152805129.jpg
Size:	1,010.8 KB
ID:	49742

Comment

12 Donut magnets evenly spaced 161.6mm apart.
            Magnet centre is slightly larger than coil core.

Name:	IMG_20180223_114602284.jpg
Size:	985.4 KB
ID:	49743Click image for larger version

Name:	12 donut.JPG
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	49744

Comment

So from the data at top speed we can conclude for an 8 x 18ga Standard Bedini coil in series.

* At magnet spacings of 53mm the coil/magnet saturates resulting in reduced voltage output across the entire spectrum.
              * At 16metres per second the coil puts out an average of 116V pk-pk.
              * Motor current reflected only aerodynamic losses.

Name:	Data.JPG
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	49745

Comment

18 Magnets, North Out.
                Magnets spaced at 53mm saturate. At 106mm appear to correlate with other arrangements.
                Further experiments may hone in on the perfect distance but this wheel is not designed for those experiments.
                When possible I will run with an 18 magnet wheel.
                Curiosly Rick's 10 Coiler runs at 67mm with smaller Neo's.

Name:	18Mags North.jpg
Size:	1,000.5 KB
ID:	49746Click image for larger version

Name:	18Mag.JPG
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	49747
                Last edited by Deuis; 02-22-2018, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Just putting some finishing touches on some super poles to fit to the wheel.

Question.
                  I've seen a lot of mention about double and triple stacking of rotor magnets to amplify field strength.
                  I have enough magnets to be able to build one stacked configuration.

What is the best stacking method you have tried? ie how many, in what orientation and direction.

Comment

6 x Super poles.

Name:	6 Super poles.jpg
Size:	1,023.1 KB
ID:	49754Click image for larger version

Name:	6 supers.JPG
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	49755

Comment

Comparison's of different combinations all at 490RPM's
                      The 36 magnet wheel has the higest frequency but the lowest pk-pk voltage.
                      The 18 magnet wheel appears to be the right blend for this size wheel and magnet.

Name:	490 Rpm.JPG
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	49759

Comment

Stacked Super pole magnet facing north out with both souths glued together.
                        Results were less than impressive. I used one stacked super pole and one North out magnet to offset weight on wheel.
                        The peaks are the standard North out.

Name:	IMG_20180225_092409518.jpg
Size:	1,002.3 KB
ID:	49760Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180225_092517143.jpg
Size:	983.7 KB
ID:	49761Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacked super.JPG
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	49762

Comment

Stacked magnet facing north out with NS glued in middle.
                          To offset weight on wheel I once again used a standard 2"x1"x1/2" with north out.
                          The results are fascinating, indistinguisable between each other.
                          I used a gauss meter to test the north face and measurements were identical.
                          Conclusion stacked magnets will produce the same result per mass and geometry as a single magnet.

Name:	Stacked NS.jpg
Size:	1,004.3 KB
ID:	49763Click image for larger version

Name:	Stacked NSNS.JPG
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	49764

Comment

To make sure the stacked magnet wasnt a static potential I ran North out with a single 2" x 1" x 1/4".
                            Numbers run well under.

Name:	Single small north 1.jpg
Size:	984.2 KB
ID:	49765Click image for larger version

Name:	Single small North.JPG
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	49766

Comment

Originally posted by Deuis View Post
                              Stacked magnet facing north out with NS glued in middle.
                              To offset weight on wheel I once again used a standard 2"x1"x1/2" with north out.
                              The results are fascinating, indistinguisable between each other.
                              I used a gauss meter to test the north face and measurements were identical.
                              Conclusion stacked magnets will produce the same result per mass and geometry as a single magnet.
                              Excellent basic research here John - results put the gen coil and mag configuration in the proper perspective. Big Thanks for sharing your work, presentation and experimental results.
                              Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

This is stepping up the depth of the magnet by 1/4" increments.
                                Starting at 1/4 - 1/2 - 2X1/4 - 3/4.
                                Ill have the data on a double stack 1/2" shortly but the trend is positive.
                                Smaller narrower magnets stacked NSNSNSNS will give greater depth of field and higher coil potential.
                                There is a small increase in wheel diameter and perhaps speed but cross referancing the velocity to matching numbers still gives a higher voltage.

Name:	Stacked 1-4,1-2.jpg
Size:	992.8 KB
ID:	49768

Name:	Stacked as.JPG
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	49767

Comment