Bedini RPX Sideband Generator



Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: My Solid State Adventure

  1. #1

    My Solid State Adventure

    I'm starting this thread to post my experiments with solid state devices that have blossomed out of my research with the Bedini energizer. In 2009 my son was looking for a science fair project, so we were doing some searching on the net and came across the monopole group over at Yahoo. The Bedini energizer offered to rejuvenate batteries and extend there over all life span, my son and I were both intrigued to say the least. So I helped him build the device itself, (you'll see it in the video below) and he did all the charge/discharge cycles himself, kept very good records and put together a fabulous display for the science fair. He won the overall grand champion award. After the science fair was over we continued to charge and discharge batteries with it, some of them were 10-15 years old and we saw them coming back to life and some of them better than new.
    Over time he got interested in other things, my interest continued. Though electronics was never a strong suit in my life, observing others on the forums and a few you tube videos, and a lot of practice, i have made some progress.
    "Fast Forward to present" I had heard different folks talk about solid state devices, they seemed quite mysterious and a tad to complex for my ability levels. Until i started reading a thread (My Mode 3 - In Action) by a gentleman who goes by BobZilla on this forum. Between him and Min2oly they seemed to take a lot of the mystery and complexity out of it. So, following along with what Bob had shown I was able to put together a solid state charging device, (i might add I was quite pleased with myself and thankful to Bob for sharing his device) very much similar to his. Once I had that working then I was able to put together a Solid State Cap Dumper, once again based on what Bob had shown (I think Min2oly did too).
    The video showing my charger is in that thread, post #117. So now for the Cap Dumper, (Some of what is below I cut and pasted from the other thread)
    I got the cap dumper finished tonight, it consists of 2 470 uf and 4 4700 uf capacitors ( all 100 volt), 4 switches, a solid state relay, and an arduino. It is basically configured like the one Bob showed earlier in the thread. Thanks Bob.
    The picture is of my test run, making sure it works.


    The big drops are when i changed the off time, the smaller down spikes are when i would take a capacitor out of the mix.
    Overall, I am very pleased, it needs some tuning but that just involves some time.
    The battery started at 12.54 and stopped at 13.34 in about a 2 hour test run.
    This picture is just of my notes taken throughout the 2 hour run.


    I made a video of most of the first run, at the end of the video I say I'll be back, however, my camera battery died before i finished, but you'll get the idea. hope you enjoy it
    Feel free to post comments or questions.
    I am planning on posting more of these experiments, now that I have learned how to make and post videos and pictures.

  2. #2
    Hi Brian,
    Hey great work on that cap dumper. I like your methodology for testing the various capacities in that video. As you run through these different settings your going to start gaining a lot of knowledge. I'm not going to comment too much just yet about try this or that because I want you to follow your own path but once you have all of the fundamentals understood I would be happy to show you some of the more complex approaches.

    I will say to keep in mind that the batteries matter a great deal as well. It has to do with the impedance (and other things). What I mean is do not start to think one particular timing is perfect because as you change to a larger battery or a smaller one you will find so do the outcomes. Just as you are studying the effects of more and less capacity on the caps, the same kind of variances happen with changing of the batteries. What you want to do is study and learn the characteristics of changing this or that, so that you can apply the right timing and capacitance to whatever your working with.

    Also now that you are working with large capacitors I suggest you get yourself a bleeder resistor to keep on hand. Occasionally as your experimenting you may accidentally charge those caps up more than you intended to and you need a way to bring them back down. A light bulb won't work because if you go to high on voltage it will just pop the filament so what you want is a 100 ohm 2 watt resistor or similar. I always keep one with an alligator clip wire around. If your caps get to high for any reason you just short them through the resistor to drain them down. This is also handy when you want to change how many of your caps your using. Throwing those switches on live caps will wear out the switch contacts because of the arc'ing and it's just a little unsettling sometimes. Better to drain your caps down smoothly with the resistor first.

    This is great work your doing, thanks for sharing with the group.

  3. #3
    I had a little time this afternoon to play with the cap dumper, the chart is below, it took just under a half hour. The bumps in the graph are when i remove a cap. I find that feeding it with my energizer if i go down to just the base capacitor the charging slows down. I need to get another arduino to run the solid state pulsar or figure out how to get one arduino to do both, it might be simpler to just get another board.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts