* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobs 1st 3D Project

Bob,

ABS really likes an enclosure, even just a cardboard box. check your slicer thickness, for small parts .2 MM is what I like, you can also increase the number of shells (that is the number of walls on the inner and outer surface of the parts befre it starts generating infill. let me know if you have specific questions.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Hey Brian,
    Yes I did. Originally they sent me a kit by mistake so I had to go through a return process which is why I said finally got it up and running. Not because I was working on it but it was a long wait. It was on back order for a few months to begin with. Prusa is just swamped with orders.

It's worth noting that although I had some issues initially with them, I would still say that their customer support is TOP notch and a great company. I was a little concerned about it because they are in Czech Republic and I thought their could be problems with returns or getting help but it is quite opposite.

The spool holder came out decent after I cleaned it up but not perfect by any means. As I said I know there are settings I can play with to change the results but I am re-printing one right now with the same settings but I flipped the parts 90 degrees to see if they do better that way. I will show another picture when that is done and we can see the difference. Over all I am very happy with the results even as they are. It might not be perfect looking but it will perform it's function no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Bob,

ABS really likes an enclosure, even just a cardboard box. check your slicer thickness, for small parts .2 MM is what I like, you can also increase the number of shells (that is the number of walls on the inner and outer surface of the parts befre it starts generating infill. let me know if you have specific questions.

Tom C
    Hi Tom,
    You were typing your message at same time I was answering Brian... I did increase the shell from 3 to 5 on these. I didn't have any problem with warping and it stuck to the bed nicely. As I said to Brian I am trying it again with it flipped 90 degrees. I think the big circle's will like that orientation better than having to sort of bridge the whole thing together.

I am contemplating purchasing simplify3D for my slicer. I have seen a lot of video's and some look like it is way better but others show prints where free software beat the pants off of it so it's hard to decide if it's worth it. These were sliced with a Prusa edition of Slic3r, they did some tweaks to it to make it their own release. I might try Cura just to see how that does too.

I have simplify 3D and it is very handy.... CURA does a few things better, but the fact that S3D has your printer already configured in its settings helps a bunch.

Tom C

Looking good Bob

John K.

So I spoke too soon on the ABS. My first few things had no problems but now I am starting to see some warped prints. I am gong to have to put a box around the printer as Tom suggested (thanks Tom). It must be temperature because I know that when I first started printing it was hotter, the room the printer is in has no AC so it tends to follow the temps of outdoors to some degree. If it gets hotter outside so does the room or colder the same. Well it has gotten significantly colder the last few days and then the warping started.

Over all things are going pretty good with the project. The holes all line up so far and have clearance for the bolts. They may be a hair too large but I think I will leave them so that later on if someone trys a print on a different model that maybe prints a little different tolerance than mine it should still work. By the time you tighten the bolts up it makes no difference really, there is a little play but not much adn when tightened up it is fine.

BZ-Frame-1stPrint-front.jpg

BZ-Frame-1stPrint-back.jpg

A little update here:
    I tried some PETG clear on some legs and frames and WOW is this stuff awesome!

I don't think I am ever going back to ABS, I mean it was cool but this stuff is very tough and prints very nice. It sticks to the bed really well for me and I haven't had one peel up at all. Take a look at these new prints. I don't think I have enough to do the whole kit with this same spool so I am going to do the coil holders and supports in a different PETG that I have on order.

BZ-FRAME2-PETG.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BobZilla View Post
    A little update here:
    I tried some PETG clear on some legs and frames and WOW is this stuff awesome!

I don't think I am ever going back to ABS, I mean it was cool but this stuff is very tough and prints very nice. It sticks to the bed really well for me and I haven't had one peel up at all. Take a look at these new prints. I don't think I have enough to do the whole kit with this same spool so I am going to do the coil holders and supports in a different PETG that I have on order.

BZ-FRAME2-PETG.jpg
    Hey Bob
    Very nice, i like the design.
    Could you please place something next to it for a size reference, when you have time.

Petg is nice.... looks like your default settings were pretty spot on. my E3D V6 nozzle on my rostock id not like the PETG, I hav ento tried it on my robo or flashforge yet. my DaVinci is supposedly great with PETG, wo knows... I have a few spools laying around for a work project. looking forward to your finished build!!

Well Done!!
    Tom C

Quote Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
    Petg is nice.... looks like your default settings were pretty spot on. my E3D V6 nozzle on my rostock id not like the PETG, I hav ento tried it on my robo or flashforge yet. my DaVinci is supposedly great with PETG, wo knows... I have a few spools laying around for a work project. looking forward to your finished build!!

Well Done!!
    Tom C
    Thanks Tom.

It is interesting that you say your nozzle doesn't like it, my printer uses the same nozzle (.4) brass. This clear spool is Prusa brand from them, they compt me a spool because of some order issues. I wonder if other brands will work as well as this does since you say you have not had the best experience with it. I have some petg coming from Maker Geek that I got on a bundle discount offer and I also have some Hatchbox brand coming. We will be able to see if other brands do as well on my setup as the clear did.

The prusa edition of slic3r I am using does have pre-configured settings for my printer for various materials which I didn't mess with other than increasing shells and bottom/top layers and the fill density. The temp was 230 on first layer and 240 for the rest on the extruder and 85 on first and 90 for the rest on the bed. The print settings were on NORMAL .20mm profile.