Tuning Method and Questions for Forum on Setup- Please Assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again,

I have a few general suggestions. First I watched your video again and I notice you sort of discounted your wiring as not being a problem. I would pay much closer attention to that. It only takes one loos connection in the system and you are throwing away the spike across an ark. Even if you do not see this happening it very well could be. Clean up your wiring and solder all of your connections. Also the noises coming from your wheel indicate a bit of drag to me, the flapping and then the knocking. I'm not sure what is causing that but if you can fix that it should help a lot. You want it as smooth as possible. Is that tape smacking the frame as it goes around? The knocking sounds like the coil is not mounted completely secure, is it rocking back and fourth as it attracts the magnet? If that is happening then you should tighten that up too. Imagine a track runner trying to push off on a wet surface, more effort with less forward momentum. These are only suggestions, it's hard to see what issues you could have from just a quick video.

You asked about the timing light I showed. If you want to make one it is very simple. Get two led's one red and one blue. Connect them in opposite polarity to each other. I prefer the little square high power LED's sometimes called piranha, like the fish (any led's will do though). Get two 150 Ohm resistors and use those for the legs then attach some wire with clips on the other end. You want to be able to clip it on to check but unclip it while running most of the time so it doesn't steal from your circuit. See picture for what I'm describing.

This picture shows the light. There are no marks on the magnet because I had only temporarily put this on a machine to see the width of my on time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	LED.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	49316

This connects across the coil. You can check your trigger coil or your power coil with it, in either case just connect one side to the top of the coil and the other to the bottom. The reason for two LED's in opposite directions is because your coils charge one way and discharge the other so with the led's you can see and time both. You will want to put timing marks on your magnets at the center line so that you can see where your firing in relation to the coil and also how many spikes per pass.

If you make a timing light it will teach you a lot. There was a time when I would not run a machine without using one because I had become so dependent on the information it would show me.

One last thought here. You do know that batteries need to be cycled many times before they become conditioned to this type of charging right? It takes a lot longer to charge a normal positive battery with this energy, the battery will fight accepting it.

Comment

HERE'S 2 things ck if 1 magnet is flipped .cant see how magnets are attached looks heavy? i use wax to balance [nonmagnetic ] 4 me i always used a fix resistance v pots always gave me trouble
      and all the great help above post [top of the bill advice]

Comment

a well built ssg badly tuned will charge but very inefficiently
        [run down the charge bat to fast]

Comment

Working...
        X