Nickle Iron Cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
    Here is a discharge chart from last night. Notice they still had not hit the cliff, this was a half amp pull down to 10v.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5667[/ATTACH]
    Bob
    The attachment doesn't seem to work

Comment

Originally posted by Brian McNece View Post
      Bob
      The attachment doesn't seem to work
      Not sure what happened but I re-attached it and it seems to work now.

Comment

Looking good Bob

I've done a few charge/discharge cycles on by 5 cell "war battery". Not getting anywhere near the rated 7.5Ah capacity yet but still waiting for some new electrolyte to arrive, so these were merely runs to get a baseline.

However, what may be interesting to note. I did one charge run for 20 hours at the C6 rate just to see if over-over-charging would make any significant difference (because we all fall asleep every now and then ). Well, aside from causing the electrolyte to go below the lower level marker on a couple of cells, there was no appreciable increase in output capacity.

I'd put up a couple of charts however the PC that the CBA is connected to isn't connected to the Internet (to prevent virii, hacking, etc...)

John K.

Comment

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
          Looking good Bob

I've done a few charge/discharge cycles on by 5 cell "war battery". Not getting anywhere near the rated 7.5Ah capacity yet but still waiting for some new electrolyte to arrive, so these were merely runs to get a baseline.

However, what may be interesting to note. I did one charge run for 20 hours at the C6 rate just to see if over-over-charging would make any significant difference (because we all fall asleep every now and then ). Well, aside from causing the electrolyte to go below the lower level marker on a couple of cells, there was no appreciable increase in output capacity.

I'd put up a couple of charts however the PC that the CBA is connected to isn't connected to the Internet (to prevent virii, hacking, etc...)

John K.
          Hey John thanks for updating on your cells. "over-over charge" heh I like that term. I would say that what I am seeing with mine it is pretty much the same. You can charge them to a point and then any extra is just not going to help. I am still figuring them out but it seems that somewhere around 16 to 16.8v is fully charged on 10 cells in series. Of course it depends on the current going in for where you will see teh voltage rise too. It's a lot like any other battery though in that if you watch the curve it will level off at some point and it's pretty much done.

Yours are a completely different animal right now with your old electrolyte but I will say that with mine it is not so much the over charge that helps as it is the cycling over and over. It's like sulphation being cleaned,,I know these do not have any but that is about the best way to describe it.

Comment

I did a run on my NiFe cells with my new machine in mode 1.

I explain in the video but this was also checking the effect of leaving one of these nickle iron packs discharged for a long period of time and then charging it. I didn't keep track of how long but I'm telling you it has been months since I used these cells. They did charge right up and give a decent performance on a discharge at 250ma down to 6v. There are stories of these things sitting for years untouched and working fine when someone charges them which is one reason I have them but I wanted to test that a bit. Months and years are very different but at a minimum you could say that you would not want to do this with any lead acid battery but this one had no issue with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NiFe10ah.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	49537

Click image for larger version

Name:	NiFe10AHcycle.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	49538

Video:
            https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miG3ygbvSoLhDS_JY

Comment

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
              I did a run on my NiFe cells with my new machine in mode 1.

I explain in the video but this was also checking the effect of leaving one of these nickle iron packs discharged for a long period of time and then charging it. I didn't keep track of how long but I'm telling you it has been months since I used these cells. They did charge right up and give a decent performance on a discharge at 250ma down to 6v. There are stories of these things sitting for years untouched and working fine when someone charges them which is one reason I have them but I wanted to test that a bit. Months and years are very different but at a minimum you could say that you would not want to do this with any lead acid battery but this one had no issue with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6376[/ATTACH]

Video:
              https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miG3ygbvSoLhDS_JY
              I was wondering if you were still working with those nickel batteries, thanks for sharing the video.

Comment

Working...
              X