Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batteries Made of Junkyard Scraps - Interesting Parallels to the JB Crystal Battery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries Made of Junkyard Scraps - Interesting Parallels to the JB Crystal Battery.

Hi All --

The following article that just came out earlier this month looks very familiar to what John Bedini
    was doing many years prior to this article and these college students making it a research project.
    Then saying its a new way of thinking. This is part of what John Bedini was trying to get out in the world.
    The article talks about making batteries from Brass, Steel, Water and a common Laundry detergent salt.
    Sounds very familiar to Copper (Brass), Magnesium (Steel), Water and Mule Team Laundry detergent.

See quote from article below and URL link to the article.

"Unlike the recent bout of exploding lithium-ion cell phone batteries, the steel-brass batteries use non-flammable water
    electrolytes that contain potassium hydroxide, an inexpensive salt used in laundry detergent."

http://www.newswise.com/articles/vie...hr&xy=10008807

-- James
    Last edited by James McDonald; 11-28-2016, 05:43 AM.

Originally posted by James McDonald View Post
    Hi All --

The following article that just came out earlier this month looks very familiar to what John Bedini
    was doing many years prior to this article and these college students making it a research project.
    Then saying its a new way of thinking. This is part of what John Bedini was trying to get out in the world.
    The article talks about making batteries from Brass, Steel, Water and a common Laundry detergent salt.
    Sounds very familiar to Copper (Brass), Magnesium (Steel), Water and Mule Team Laundry detergent.

See quote from article below and URL link to the article.

"Unlike the recent bout of exploding lithium-ion cell phone batteries, the steel-brass batteries use non-flammable water
    electrolytes that contain potassium hydroxide, an inexpensive salt used in laundry detergent."

http://www.newswise.com/articles/vie...hr&xy=10008807

-- James

Nice find James. I would bet someone on that team is familiar with Mr. Bedini and his work.

Using a base electrolyte has been done many times over and I believe Mr. Bedini was working along the same lines when he chose to use Alum in so many projects. The Potassium hydroxide (KOH) was used by Thomas Edison in his Nickle Iron cells back around 1890's. If you have ever touched KOH it feels "slippery" just like the Alum.

I did a lot of experimenting with building cells from various metals myself and it is surprising how many combinations will yield results. The trick is to not allow the anode to sacrifice itself. Look at the chart on this page below and notice the galvanic scale, if you think of it in terms of potential you can match a higher potential to a lower one and make juice. I have recently purchased some Nickle Iron cells that I will be posting about soon but the thing that is so great about them is that the metals do not break down into the electrolyte at all, it's not like the lead in acid. They are said to last at least 30 years but there are many out there from the original edison productions that still work today.

Link:
    http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BobZilla View Post
      Nice find James. I would bet someone on that team is familiar with Mr. Bedini and his work.

Using a base electrolyte has been done many times over and I believe Mr. Bedini was working along the same lines when he chose to use Alum in so many projects. The Potassium hydroxide (KOH) was used by Thomas Edison in his Nickle Iron cells back around 1890's. If you have ever touched KOH it feels "slippery" just like the Alum.

I did a lot of experimenting with building cells from various metals myself and it is surprising how many combinations will yield results. The trick is to not allow the anode to sacrifice itself. Look at the chart on this page below and notice the galvanic scale, if you think of it in terms of potential you can match a higher potential to a lower one and make juice. I have recently purchased some Nickle Iron cells that I will be posting about soon but the thing that is so great about them is that the metals do not break down into the electrolyte at all, it's not like the lead in acid. They are said to last at least 30 years but there are many out there from the original edison productions that still work today.

Link:
      http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm
      Hi BobZilla --

I am interested in these types of long lasting battery technologies very much. I have built 15 crystal batteries
      and they are all still working fine. Thanks a lot for posting that link the galvanic scale. I look forward to your post
      on the Nickle Iron cells.

-- James
      Last edited by James McDonald; 11-30-2016, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Here is the full info for this battery.

ps. Sorry guys. The info is right from developers, but it is far from full... The only 'key-phrase" was (not included in this document though) the following.

"Here we present the first full-cell battery device that is developed entirely from scrap metals of brass and steel - two of the most commonly used and discarded metals. A room temperature chemical process is developed to convert brass and steel into functional electrodes for rechargeable energy storage that transforms these multicomponent alloys into redox-active iron-oxide and copper-oxide materials. The resulting steel-brass battery exhibits cell voltages up to 1.8 V, energy density up to 20 Wh/kg, power density up to 20 kW/kg, and stable cycling over 5000 cycles in alkaline electrolytes. ."

So, it looks like John's development on oxide layers. No other useful info is there.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Nanuhi; 12-14-2016, 04:49 AM. Reason: added some info

Comment

Batteries Made of Junkyard Scraps Interesting Parallels to the JB Crystal Battery

I only recently heard about this, its another short story involving Helva. I havent been able to track it down so far, but has anybody here read it? Whats it about?

Comment

Working...
          X