No announcement yet.

Mechanical Switching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well spotted it is a standard text book DC Motor.

This DC motor however does not have all the required designs to minimise sparking.
    This DC motor allows adjustments on the commutator ring to harvest spikes.
    The motor design isnt that important, collapsing coils in unison and timing the spike that results is.
    Tell me what you think is the differance between the 1984 model and the SSG?

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
    Hi Deius,
    I wonder how this set up is different from a standard DC Motor..??
    other than the difference that you have a moving Magnet and stationary Coils!!
    This is more relavent to the JB 1984 Machine than his 2000 SSG.. you can implement the SSG with it to make it a hybrid System of electrical recovery and the Boost Torque at the same time!! some thing like his ferris wheel model.
    nice and laborious efforts though
    appriciate your approach.
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    Cant spend it when your dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Deuis View Post
      Well spotted it is a standard text book DC Motor.

This DC motor however does not have all the required designs to minimise sparking.
      This DC motor allows adjustments on the commutator ring to harvest spikes.
      The motor design isnt that important, collapsing coils in unison and timing the spike that results is.
      Tell me what you think is the differance between the 1984 model and the SSG?
      Hi Deuis,
      All i can say is that the 1984 machine is not a ''true Energiser'' it is an extension of the Motor circuit(expanded form) in its recovery aspect and hence a single Battery (self recovery) can aslo say the Positive terminal is operating the Motor in ''POWER-MODE'''and the Negative Terminal is operating it in the Énergy (CHARGE-MODE) for the Battery. however you can introduce another Battery (the advance SG book describes this iteration)...I call this as SPACE-SWITICHING.(it is a form of Capacitor switching)
      Now, comming to the SG, JB worked on improvising the Energiser aspect of the Machine to have Batteries Charged but taking the advantage of Speed and not Torque in the new design. the Transistorised Triggering design of the SG is a Magneto-electric design which means that a Sinosidal wave is Magnetically(Electromagnetic Induction) made to trigger the device. I call it TIME- EVOKED SWITCHING (opposite to the above mode). The spikes in each mode are of different geometries.. and the batteries accordigly behave in each case.
      However, i too am exploring of integrating both the modes simultaneously in a machine and i think this may be exactly what is done in the Ferris wheel !!
      hope this satisfy's your question..
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Ok,

I finally got the switching right.
        Check out the pulsing inductive collapse through the brush on the right.
        I found a wider narrower brush to match the segments on the commutator which is working beautifully.
        From the left the 1st is the switch. 2nd is power for coils. 3rd is spike collector. 4th isnt used.
        https://youtu.be/cSEjElhlin0
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170602_173453564.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,012.8 KB
ID:	49488
        Last edited by Deuis; 06-02-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Awesome Mr Deuis!

Comment

I hooked up the "back spikey" today and just rigged up a basic diode cap setup.
            Good news was without any real tuning or decent connections i was able to charge the capacitor to a higher voltage than the primary supply.
            The machine would charge at varying rates and was all over the place most of the time.
            At times it would take off like a jet and other times lag and lose all torque, the same applied for charge rates and voltages.
            Interesting conundrum.
            Last edited by Deuis; 06-04-2017, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Switching is laid out as so.
              Blue triangle is the harvesting of the inductive collapse.
              Orange Triangle is the pulse to the coil.
              One full segment is allowed so the two are physically segregated.
              All orange triangles are commoned to the supply slip ring.
              All Blue triangles are commoned to the second collection ring to the capacitor.
              Timing points are the rotation of the commutators and the position of the switching brush.

Comment

Dear diary,

Thnkyou santa for supplying the transformer steel, it will do nicely in my new wider bobbin.
                the loaners from the 10 coiler need to go back home.
                Core will be 150mm wide to match the width of the magnets.
                Havent decided on the gauge of the filar coils yet.
                Ive got 10, 13 and 26 Gauge in stock.
                13 too big?

Name:	Bobbin1.JPG
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	49502Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobbin2.JPG
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	49503Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobbin.JPG
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	49504Click image for larger version

Name:	Card.JPG
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	49505
                Last edited by Deuis; 06-08-2017, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Watching intently

Comment

I suppose you better watch this then and explain it to me.
                    The core is 150mm wide X 25mm thick by 110mm deep.
                    I have wrapped 4 strands of 1.8mm maget wire around for a total of 1.2ohms in series. (45m a strand)
                    I ran out of wire so thats all it got.
                    The machine is running off 29VDC power supply with a series of capacitors doing 540rpm with 1A of current.
                    It ramps up to this speed in about 5 seconds. (2kg shaft)
                    It is shooting 15mm green sparks consistantly while the brush is no more than 40 degrees and I can touch the commutator during operation indicating that it is not vaporising the copper. I used some compressed air on the commutator to see if it would cool down / blow out the sparking.
                    The arcs wrapped around the end of the commutator to be about 20mm long.
                    I am not harvesting any energy off this it is just a motor at the moment.
                    The timing is way different to the previous coils.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awzoqqai0g...08040.mp4?dl=0
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcr5bp685d...10795.mp4?dl=0

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                    Watching intently
                    Watch the timing of sparks through the commutator, it has a rhythm.
                    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o8vnhe07f...16805.mp4?dl=0
                    Last edited by Deuis; 06-09-2017, 10:13 PM. Reason: 3rd video

Comment

I suppose you better watch this then and explain it to me.
                      The core is 150mm wide X 25mm thick by 110mm deep.
                      I have wrapped 4 strands of 1.8mm maget wire around for a total of 1.2ohms in series. (45m a strand)
                      I ran out of wire so thats all it got.
                      The machine is running off 29VDC power supply with a series of capacitors doing 540rpm with 1A of current.
                      It ramps up to this speed in about 5 seconds. (2kg shaft)
                      It is shooting 15mm green sparks consistantly while the brush is no more than 40 degrees and I can touch the commutator during operation indicating that it is not vaporising the copper. I used some compressed air on the commutator to see if it would cool down / blow out the sparking.
                      The arcs wrapped around the end of the commutator to be about 20mm long.
                      I am not harvesting any energy off this it is just a motor at the moment.
                      The timing is way different to the previous coils.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awzoqqai0g...08040.mp4?dl=0
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/dcr5bp685d...10795.mp4?dl=0

Watch the timing of sparks through the commutator, it has a rhythm.
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/0o8vnhe07f...16805.mp4?dl=0
                      Wow, that's cool

Comment

Timing-
                        The book says that a simple mechanical timer is a split commutator slightly less the 180 indicating that the attract and dump are a 50% cycle rate between them.
                        On this motor I have been running a 1:3 cycle rate.
                        When the attraction is set on the 3 cycle the standard sparking occurs with average motor torque.
                        When the attraction mode is set on the 1 cycle the green pulsing occurs.
                        This tells me that the faster the on time the better.

I do have room on the commutator to go a 2:2 or 1:1 cycle rate.

The nagging thought in my head is that the motor is a balance equation and the differance is the charge and discharge cycles.
                        Specifically the 1st time constant of the two.
                        The capacitor will charge to 63% in the first time constant. If the sharp rate is the most desired then the capacitor should be matched to charge and discharge in the single constant.
                        The inductor is the same for the first time constant therefore to achieve maximum inductance in the shortest time for matched pairs it should be charge for one constant dump for one constant.
                        This is perhaps where the filar winds come in. By having parallel inductors the time constant is minimised allowing for maximum charge.

So really ive answered myself as its a ratio to charge and dump which is set by the coil winds/makeup, voltage and pulse time.
                        Therfore if chasing the highest non equilibrium focusing on the shortest time constants is a must.

Or i could be babbling garbage.

Comment

Timing-
                          The book says that a simple mechanical timer is a split commutator slightly less the 180 indicating that the attract and dump are a 50% cycle rate between them.
                          On this motor I have been running a 1:3 cycle rate.
                          When the attraction is set on the 3 cycle the standard sparking occurs with average motor torque.
                          When the attraction mode is set on the 1 cycle the green pulsing occurs.
                          This tells me that the faster the on time the better.

I do have room on the commutator to go a 2:2 or 1:1 cycle rate.

The nagging thought in my head is that the motor is a balance equation and the differance is the charge and discharge cycles.
                          Specifically the 1st time constant of the two.
                          The capacitor will charge to 63% in the first time constant. If the sharp rate is the most desired then the capacitor should be matched to charge and discharge in the single constant.
                          The inductor is the same for the first time constant therefore to achieve maximum inductance in the shortest time for matched pairs it should be charge for one constant dump for one constant.
                          This is perhaps where the filar winds come in. By having parallel inductors the time constant is minimised allowing for maximum charge.

So really ive answered myself as its a ratio to charge and dump which is set by the coil winds/makeup, voltage and pulse time.
                          Therfore if chasing the highest non equilibrium focusing on the shortest time constants is a must.

Or i could be babbling garbage.
                          This is good stuff - now you're in it! good times, eh...
                          "...the faster the on time the better." and other than torque vs efficiency, duration makes little difference.
                          Reading with much interest, I hope you continue to share - Thanks!
                          -Patrick

Comment

Find attached charge curve.
                            The charge curve obviously flattens off once the capacitor is charged but thats not the end of the curve we are interested in.
                            The faster the discharge of the inductor the higher the voltage.
                            The Di-pole flash will simultaneously discharge the inductor (with lag) while dumping a disproportionate amount of charge into said suitably large capacitor bank.
                            This is the creation of the non-equilibrium no?

The higher the voltage, the larger the coil the wilder it gets.

Name:	RC Charge curves.JPG
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	49509

Comment

I was looking at suitable rotors last night and came across this.
                              http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-26-4-...UAAOSwEHpZN7Dw
                              Would be a great test bed to test generator coils.
                              Mount the magnets on the wheel and you can dial in the speed you want.
                              Measure the motor current without a coil, then add the coil and calculate the differance.
                              Discharge the battery or load and voila a very quick and accurate test bed for the effectivness of the coils.
                              Go even further and bang as many gennie coils around it and crank it up see what it can do!

Comment

That's pretty cool. Good idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X