Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Rejuvenation on SSG

Hi John k/Tom C/ Aaron,

In the picture below is drawn the internal of a 12v battery( 45AH) this one was out of service form my car, so wanted to have it revived on the SSG
    all the cells were measured for their SG before they were put on the SSG.. after several cycling it showed dramatic improvement all the cells SG (specific gravity) were nearly equal, however there when i wanetd to check for the cell voltages and figure out which among the cells were sulfated or otherwise.
    as there is no access to check across every cell, i checked across the extreme ends near the posts, it turned out that the Positive post cell measured 2v
    (measured between the post and the Electrolyte), while the Negative post measured 0nly 0.10 (again between the post and the electrolyte)...
    what is surprising is that the cell that is suppose to be good (positive post cell) in terms of the 2V state shown on the meter did not bubble with cold boiling during rejuvenation and the opposite was the case at the Negative post cell..that is equal cold boiling as seen in the other good cells (middle ones).
    i'm baffled on this could you guys explain what is happening..? BTW this battery has recovered except the positive post cell.. but it starts my car..
    rgds,
    Faraday88.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20161116_135940[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	506.4 KB
ID:	51355
    Last edited by Faraday88; 11-16-2016, 03:42 AM.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Sorry Faraday, no idea on that one.

John K.

Comment

fwanoFWANOfwanoFWANOfwano
      Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.W.A.N.O. View Post
        Hi, Faraday,

the battery pushes a lot of current to start a car so it discharges fast,
        and then, when the car runs, the alternator recharges the battery (again - with current),
        both cycles make the battery heat up.

If the car is started a lot and driven mostly short distances, the first cell on the positive side gets "cooked"
        from too frequent charge/discharge stress.

It is interesting how a cooked cell can show 2 volts, usually they seem shorted or simply won't hold voltage for very long.

I've seen several lead-acid car batteries and other battery packs (Ni-Cd, Ni-MH) with the first cell on positive being cooked because of frequent use.

A cell damaged in such manner can hardly (if at all) be revived or rejuvenated, it needs to be replaced
        (which can be done in some Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh packs and could be done in some old lead-acid car batteries since
        they were composed of six cells bolted together - bolts and contact bars were then sealed with tar or
        something similar to avoid shorting and corrosion).

regards,
        f.w.a.n.o.
        Hey F.WA.NO,

First of all thanks for your attention to this thread..! a little story on this battery..My cousin (cousins are always eyebrow raises ) dumped this battery at my home and i wanted these types of batteries any ways, however after it was revived he did not believe me and never turned up, i decided to put it my own car run a test..and Voila!! it started the car and is still starting it every time i use the car.. Yes you are correct in what you opine on way the battery is stressed..and this is exactly what i'm amazed about also..!
        all the more because the cell that is supposed to be fine in not showing up in one sense (like cold boiling in that cell) and the one which is seemingly good (with cold boiling in that cell) measures very low (0.10V) what the heck is going on!!! whatever is the case.. this battery has started my car every time at the first instance of ignition switch..!!! and imagine it sets up a bench mark for the kind of deterioration in Batteries that can be revived/rejuvenated...bravo Bedini technology!!!:
        BTW the alternator tops up the battery and works as constant voltage approach of charging it... it is never fully charged..
        Rgds,
        Faraday88.
        Last edited by Faraday88; 11-30-2016, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Hi Faraday,

You are right about the alternator, it works about the same way as a standard charger.
            Had a dead battery around to check, too - dried up at the top, the plates were visible in mid-air, no (visible) crystals
            anywhere inbetween the plates, i added distilled water then gave it half an hour or so of radiant from the SSG
            to break off (at least some of) the possible sulphation, then had it charge from a standard charger overnight -
            starting current was about 2 amps, the next day it was still pulling 1/2 amp at 13+ volts and would probably do so for hours
            more if i left it charging so i put it back in place - it does the job well but i need to see if it can sit for a few days,
            hopefully the plates did not bend with high current being drawn from a "dry" battery, if it self-discharges quickly,
            then this could be the case... but i hope it was just a bit thirsty...

Regards,
            f.w.a.n.o.
            Hi F.WA.N.O,

Sure you did the test very well... i'm studying to bench mark as to what level of deterioration in Batteries (lead -acid) can be rejuvenated.. i'm working on ways to incorporate the Energiser circuit on board so that the battery even when it is being topped off by the Alternator, is also receiving a Radiant 'kick' to keep the Battery in top shape always...what say??? this would do away with external Rejuvenation process...
            Rgds,
            Faraday88.

Comment

Last edited by F.W.A.N.O.; 02-28-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

If an energizer of the radiant type were superimposed onto an alternator charge, wouldn't that require the battery to be
                separated from other circuitry first?

Since spikes range around 300 volts (my SSG and window motor can charge a cap up to some 250 volts), wouldn't it be
                dangerous to car electronics if radiant spikes were to be sent into a battery without disconnecting it from other loads first?

Rgds,
                f.w.a.n.o.
                Hey f.w.a.n.o,
                What a smart guy that you are!!!!yes you are bang on the issue ..but there is good news in the design approach to tackle with this situation, the key is to know what a SSG does to the primary battery..if you have the beginner;s Hand book that would give you an insight into this... rest is a piece of cake to work on..any size of battery and yes any kind of application..be it even a continous operating Battery (say for a UPS) can be made to have on board Radiant spike kicker to keep the battery in top shape.. one would at the worst need to check only for the Water level /SG to maintain the Batteries.. rest is taken care by the Radiant spike on baord..
                Rgds,
                Faraday88

Comment

@all,
                  I received my CBA IV recently and was fervently awaiting for testing some of my AMG batteries that were essentially dead. these were purchased in 2015 and were 'abused' to the level of discharging them well below to the level of having them internally heated!!
                  I put one of these batteries on my recent SS SSG to have them revived. apparently, it was gained the capacity.
                  Although in the discharge test, the battery failed to pass the capacity test with reference to the factory rated Capacity.
                  it attained a good capacity of 45% of the manufacturer rating.
                  Attached are the test results.Click image for larger version

Name:	Power Profile 1.jpg
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	49906Click image for larger version

Name:	Power profile 2.jpg
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	49907Click image for larger version

Name:	Discharge test.jpg
Size:	253.4 KB