Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the spool for the coil be wood instead of plastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the spool for the coil be wood instead of plastic?

I'm living out of the states and can't buy the proper size plastic spool for the coil. Assuming I can get the dimensions right, can someone confirm for me that wood would be fine instead?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Cmor View Post
    I'm living out of the states and can't buy the proper size plastic spool for the coil. Assuming I can get the dimensions right, can someone confirm for me that wood would be fine instead?
    Thanks.
    Yes... but remember the wood should not be absorbing moisture as along as it dry..all is well
    Rgds,
    Faraday88
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Hi Cmor, yes the spool can be wood.

Alternatively, you can purchase the recommended spools from TeslagenX

http://teslagenx.com/parts/tx-spools...arts|kits|coil

Shipping out of the USA is pretty reasonable. If you live in Australia, I have some. PM me if interested.

John K.
      Last edited by John_Koorn; 11-14-2016, 09:07 PM. Reason: Adding some more helpful information

Comment

Thanks. One less obstacle to getting started!

Comment

Thanks. Given that it can be done with wood, I'll go that route. I'm in Costa Rica.

Comment

Hi John and Faraday88,

Better late than never. It occurred to me that it would be much easier to just use a piece of plastic pipe. I found one with an I.D. of 11/16" (the manual recommends 3/4") and thickness is 3/32" (no size is indicated in the manual). Do you guys think that will do the trick?

Thanks again,
            Cmor

Comment

Hi John and Faraday88,

Better late than never. It occurred to me that it would be much easier to just use a piece of plastic pipe. I found one with an I.D. of 11/16" (the manual recommends 3/4") and thickness is 3/32" (no size is indicated in the manual). Do you guys think that will do the trick?

Thanks again,
              Cmor
              Hi Cmor, that should be fine

John K.

Comment

Thanks again John.

Comment

Hi John and Faraday88,

Thanks again,
                  Cmor
                  Hi Cmor,

just to add to what John said.. the only thing to worry is how to contain the turns in place...meaning as you wind the coil would tend to slip side ways hence you will have to
                  fix a end plates...do one thing, if you have discs (plastic ones) drill hole in the center of the size of your plastic tube and attack them to the tube at both the sides (one per end) this will resemble a spool that normal we use for the winding..
                  rgds,
                  Faraday88.
                  'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                  X