Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharing my rite of passage with a pulse motor and not being able to charge batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing my rite of passage with a pulse motor and not being able to charge batteries

Just finished my first pulse motor. I have 2 coils, each with 8 wires. One wire is the master coil that turns the transistors on and off.
    Started with new 12.3 v deep cycle batteries. Running tests the batteries are slowly discharging. I am at 11.2 v
    I would like to add a 3F audio car capacitor to collect the output from the collectors amd then discharge into the bat. bank. Do not know how to prevent the output battery from charging the capacitor.

Please help.
    Attached Files

You do not need to be worried about that. There are situations where you may want to isolate the battery from the cap in one direction and to do so you can use a high current diode but as I said it is not necessary.

Here is how and why.
    You want to make a timed circuit to let the cap build up voltage above the target battery and then switch it to make them parallel. DO this by connecting the positive of the cap directly to the battery and put a switch of some sort in the negative rail. You could use a relay or a FET but you will need to come up with your switching mechanism. The higher voltage potential of the cap will force the current to flow to the battery when the switch is closed. Once the cap and the battery reach the same voltage no current will flow because they have the same potential. Open the switch and the voltage will rise on the cap again, close it and the same process as before will occur.

In short what I am telling you is you work with the potential and the current will follow. The cap is not going to go below the battery's voltage so current will not flow the wrong way.

I suggest you try this with a much smaller cap, 3F will be hard to manage and will probably blow your switch apart. Try using between 5kuf - 20kuf.

If you do not have experience with caps please be careful. Even a small cap has enough current to kill you. Always get in the habit of discharging caps when they are not in use, don't charge it up and set it off to the side somewhere. I say again, be careful with caps!
    Last edited by BobZilla; 10-26-2016, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the quote: work with the Potential and the current will follow. In this lines I got a bridge rectifier 35 amps. Thinking in connenting the output from the 3 amp diodes to make the negative spike positive and from alternating pulse to a dc wave. Now I am working in the wiring details.

Comment

Working...
      X