Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first unit to achieve 1 for 1 charging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW!! Hey y'all, I just converted my mini 6 pole unit to a superpole, and the difference is amazing! I found some rectangular SmCo magnets that will fit in the updated 6 magnet rotor that r-charge used to sell, so if you have that one this conversion is a piece o' cake! Those magnets can be found here: cPath_3 | products_id_249 | SmCo Magnets 1/2 in x 1/4 in x 1/8 in Samarium Cobalt Block Magnet - Applied Magnets & WindMax Wind Turbines

Ok, for those that have not been able to remove the old neos, or who just have not tried it yet here's how I did it. Get a wire mesh basket (I think it's called a strainer) and a pot of water to rest it in. Put enough water in the pot so that the water does not touch the basket when it's resting in the pot. Steam the rotor for about 30 min or so. The magnets should come out with a little help from another neo and maybe a few taps from a screwdriver.

So, ok now for the results I have from this conversion. First of all, when I had the regular small SmCo magnets in there, the unit really liked to run with only 4 coils. This was optimum for charging and gave me my first unit to have a 1 for 1 charge capability. A 5ah 12v motorcycle battery would take about 3h 20m to charge to 14.8v, leaving about 12.02v left on the primary at shutdown. The primary would recover to around 12.45v one hour later. A 9ah battery would take about 7h 19m to charge to 14.1v. The primary would be at 11.83v at shutdown, and would recover to 12.25v.

With my new superpole rotor, the unit likes to run with all six coils much better. I moved the coils a bit further away from the rotor for a distance now of 3/16". The 5ah battery charges to 14.8v in 1 hour!! Load testing gave me 2h 8m at c20 rate, so it's not surface charging. The 9ah battery took about 2h 30m to raise from 12.28v to 14.14v. Load test gave 3h 44m at c20 rate. I won't post any pics because the unit looks exactly the same. The only change is the addition of the superpole magnet equipped rotor. My new data shows 880ma draw on primary, and 470ma input to secondary. It runs at about 4300-4500 RPM, and I'm running 15.2 ohms resistance on the trigger. Also, the unit is now a 1 pulse per magnet machine, with spikes of about 340v.

Right now, just for fun I have it charging a sulphated 690cca battery with a 550cca battery I have rejuvenated. It is doing very well. After a total time of 2h 55m of charging, the bigger 690cca battery has been raised from 12.37v to 12.93v. The interesting thing is, I started charging it last night. The primary started at 12.71v and the bigger secondary started at 12.37v. I ran it for about 1h 45m and shut down the unit for bed with the primary at 12.45v and the secondary at 12.86v. After the initial drop on the primary at the beginning of the run from 12.71 to 12.39, for the next 50m the primary was INCREASING in voltage! At shutdown last night the primary was at 12.45v, and check this out. This morning when I went to start it up again, the primary was at 12.72v!! Higher than BEFORE I started the run last night, and after running for 1h 45m! The secondary was at 12.49 this morning when I started charging again. So both batteries were at higher voltages this morning than they were last night BEFORE I started running. Is that cool or WHAT!!

Anyway, I just wanted to give an update here! There is lots of fun to be had with this little unit. If you have one, you can learn alot with it.

-Woody
    "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

woody,

put up some pics of your rotor if you can.
      Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

No problem! Here are some pics of the rotor, Tom. It is installed, so kinda tough to get a good angle sometimes but these should be good enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	superpole! 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	45058Click image for larger version

Name:	superpole! 003.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	45059Click image for larger version

Name:	superpole! 004.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	45060

-Woody
        "It's not a mutiny if the commander is leading it!" - Wally Schirra, Commander Apollo 7

Comment

Ahh that is what I thought you have a different rotor, that is the latest rotor From RF. the other style rotor has round holes, not slots.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

You do know battery voltage increase with heat? of 27mV per 12V (0.108 per degree C 48v) so if your battery was outside at 10 degrees C and your house was 20 C it would RISE up by .270 volts. All by itself! Just to let u know that's all. Nice neat machine.

Comment

Originally posted by machinationus View Post
              You do know battery voltage increase with heat? of 27mV per 12V (0.108 per degree C 48v) so if your battery was outside at 10 degrees C and your house was 20 C it would RISE up by .270 volts. All by itself! Just to let u know that's all. Nice neat machine.
              Thanks for the data machinationus. I am aware of temperature effects on batteries. In this case, the battery is in a section of the house that is not connected to the heating ducts. It does get quite chilly in there during the night, so there was definitely NO ambient temperature rise. In fact, the temperature had dropped during the night, so the voltage rise cannot be attributed to heat.

I am noticing that the larger batteries produce some interesting results compared to the smaller batteries I have been working with. Now I see why J.B. says to use larger batteries! With 19 awg motor windings, and 6 motor coils, this unit is now better suited to larger batteries. What a hoot this is!

-Woody

Comment

Working...
              X