Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery Monitoring with tesla chargers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Monitoring with tesla chargers...

My question is...

I am wanting to monitor my batts on my computer as I charge/discharge them with the tesla chargers. Does tesla Chargers have a product or is this somthing I need to buy elsewhere? If so where?

Thank's
    Bedini man

Hi Bedini man,

The west mountain radio CBA III will do it nicely with a conventional charger, but I don't know whether or not it would be damaged by the voltage spikes from the Tesla Charger. I use the CBA III to record all my discharges, but haven't been brave enough to use it while charging with my RC-10A-12 Tesla charger.

Anybody out there know if the CBA III is compatable with the Tesla Chargers?

Here's the link to West Moutain Radio. West Mountain Radio - CBA IV - Computerized Battery Analyzer

And here is a warning about avoiding a common ground with the computer that came with the CBA.

"Test Type

Normally you would leave this set to discharge. A discharge provides an electronically and software regulated constant current discharge. The other option in the standard version is “Charge Monitor” which uses the CBA as a recording voltmeter to chart voltage vs. time for evaluation of a charger."

"Caution: Never hook the CBA to a battery that has something else connected that is not totally ground isolated. To test a charger in the charge monitor mode the charger must be totally electrically isolated from the computer ground."
    Last edited by Gary Hammond; 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM. Reason: add information

Comment

I charted a charge curve with the RC-2A12...and it did work...but the curve was all over the place due to the pulses. It wasn't a solid line.....

Originally posted by Gary Hammond View Post
      Hi Bedini man,

The west mountain radio CBA III will do it nicely with a conventional charger, but I don't know whether or not it would be damaged by the voltage spikes from the Tesla Charger. I use the CBA III to record all my discharges, but haven't been brave enough to use it while charging with my RC-10A-12 Tesla charger.

Anybody out there know if the CBA III is compatable with the Tesla Chargers?

Here's the link to West Moutain Radio. West Mountain Radio - CBA IV - Computerized Battery Analyzer

And here is a warning about avoiding a common ground with the computer that came with the CBA.

"Test Type

Normally you would leave this set to discharge. A discharge provides an electronically and software regulated constant current discharge. The other option in the standard version is “Charge Monitor” which uses the CBA as a recording voltmeter to chart voltage vs. time for evaluation of a charger."

"Caution: Never hook the CBA to a battery that has something else connected that is not totally ground isolated. To test a charger in the charge monitor mode the charger must be totally electrically isolated from the computer ground."

Comment

Ok I guess we will wait and see if somebody knows what is the best I don't want to blow somthing... Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Ok I Just Ordered The West Mountain Radio - CBA IV - Computerized Battery Analyzer

Peter Lindemann Talks about using them on the newest batt rejuvination video and so I am assuming they are ok to use while charging batterys to chart the charge curve but I am still not 100 percent sure anybody have experience with this? Gary Hammond Have you been brave enough to risk it yet?

Comment

Hi Bediniman,

Originally posted by bediniman View Post
            Ok I Just Ordered The West Mountain Radio - CBA IV - Computerized Battery Analyzer

Peter Lindemann Talks about using them on the newest batt rejuvination video and so I am assuming they are ok to use while charging batterys to chart the charge curve but I am still not 100 percent sure anybody have experience with this? Gary Hammond Have you been brave enough to risk it yet?
            Yes. I use it while charging batteries with no ill effects. Several other people do as well. And John Bedini uses it to moniter the charge in several of his videos and demonstrated it at the last conference!

Comment

Excellent Thank you for the help!

One other question I am wondering if you have a good source for a ground isolating usb to usb module? or whatever I need to isolate the computer from being damaged by the charger and cba from potential surges that may occur. I hope I said that right.

Thanks again
              Last edited by bediniman; 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Bediniman,

On the Tesla Charger I have, the output leads are totally isolated from the ground. I think only the chassis is grounded. So it isn't necessary to isolate the USB of the computer and CBA module from each other. If one of the leads of the charger is grounded, however, either the computer or charger would need to be isolated.

When I want to isolate my o-scope, which does have a grounded lead, I just use a 3 prong adaptor between the o-scope and the wall outlet and leave the computer grounded.

I don't know any sources for a USB to USB ground isolator, but if they are made I would expect B&B Electronics to have them.

P.S. I just looked it up on B&B's web site. Here's the link. http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-...Isolators.aspx
                Last edited by Gary Hammond; 12-12-2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X