Zero Force Motor Replication Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Ron,

Good to see that you are becoming engaged with the ZFM concept. Your experiments are definitely worthwhile in that they clarify the workings of the fields in the static mode. Perhaps you should consider that these fields becoming modified in the dynamic mode and that the magnitude of their respective influences become different also. I assume (I may be wrong) that for classical DC motors the strength of the induced electrical field within the coil diminishes as the RPM increases - so according to "Hoyle" the maximum RPM (no applied load) is reached when the applied force on the rotor from the induced field is equaled to the total of internal friction, windage (air resistance) and BEMF.

But with the ZFM (depending on input voltage, timing parameters, etc) once this point is reached the machine will normally run up to and at this balanced level for several minutes, shorter or longer, when there is a tangible acceleration. This acceleration can appear in steps increasing the RPM about 10 -20%. So apparently all the restraining forces are somehow reduced or the input is increased. Must be the smoke and mirrors...

One can suggest that the true magnetic lines of force now come into play. Another proposed explanation could be that certain resonant points are activated within the machine above a certain firing frequency. Still shooting in the dark with all this, but persistent and careful experimentation will slowly clarify these issues. The interaction of the different fields certainly makes this a very interesting machine.

It is worthwhile to note that while the machine is in this hyper mode, the position of the firing point (energizing the coils) can be moved over a 35-40 degree range with minimal impact on RPM and amperage draw. At slow RPM's this type of adjustment has a dramatic impact on speed and amp draw.

So the Green lines may yet rule - Happy Halloween!
    Yaro
    Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

• Hello Yaro,

Thanks for your comments.

This is not my first attempt, I did a model a year ago. I had hoped John would comment but I guess that was not to be...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGRBk6lWAf4

Ron
      Last edited by i_ron; 10-31-2017, 07:59 AM.

Comment

• More red line stuff:

Thinking of alternate ways to make the Zero force Motor I came up with this...

I will bite the bullet and show my red neck test setup,

With a single 1/8th by 1 inch neo face on (conventional) I get a pull force of 27 g

With a small piece of steel behind the magnet I get 31 g

However what if instead of only using one side of the coil I utilise both sides of the coil?
        (U bracket with two 1/8th x 1" magnets, S S)

Good move as the force triples... I get 111 g's (grams)

I had thought to put a coil on each side of a single rotor but discarded that as doubling the watts. Why not instead double the magnets? A double rotor setup, magnets are cheap, and come pre charged.

Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7878e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	49621
        Last edited by i_ron; 10-31-2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Hi Richard,

Originally posted by Richard
          ......................... Yes, an outrunner combined with an inrunner of sorts. Inner and outer rotating magnets or a 350 degree wraparound (around a section direction, not the motor perimeter, leaving 10 degrees of space to support the coils) with one set of stationary coils. How would this effect COP, horsepower per pound, $ per horsepower, etc.? For large motors, would many coils (and magnets), rather than only two, and operated at higher frequency, give better torque at low rpm?
          What you just described is very close to Paul Babcock's "External Field Interaction Motor" which is now patented. Here's a short video clip of it running.

Last edited by Gary Hammond; 11-01-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• And here is a longer video clip where Paul explains the motor to Aaron. Enjoy!

Comment

• Here is a Zero Force Design that I showed JB the last time I saw him...
              Attached Files

Comment

• another transparent view
                Attached Files

Comment

• That's good RS, as I think two magnets in repulsion is the answer

Name:	images.jpeg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	49625

The black square is the coil and see how the field fills in the two open sides?
                  30g for a single magnet 111g for two shows this to be true.

Actually when I put the u bracket with the two magnets in place I had made the right hand arm longer. This eventually caused me to re-run the experiment with the left arm lengthened --- imagine my surprise to get a reading of 127 grams!!!

Ron
                  Last edited by i_ron; 11-02-2017, 07:33 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

• Greetings Ron and RS, also to all the lurkers out there who are gaining an appreciation for the ZFM,

Ron your experiments with the dual magnet arrangement have been very interesting along with your video. My bad for not acknowledging that sooner. RS you have put together an interesting concept for the ZFM with the dual magnet arrangement - unfortunate that JB did not comment on it. However, he has noted in the past that the magnetic fields induced within the ZFM were very contained internally. Both of you appear to be on a similar track for amplifying the torque of this machine. Go for it and make it real!

The ZFM is a pull/push motor! The starting point for this motor is normally a combination of repulsion and attraction. With the YZFM Neo's at the neutral coil position, one can rotate the shaft with/against the normal rotation as a function of the timing arrangement. You will always feel the repulsive kick and the attractive force combo. Interestingly, both work in opposing directions, thereby negating the usual reactive forces. I should make a video of this, but it will be complex due to the ZFM design and visibility of the internal rotor - see what happens as time and video editing skills permit, but don't hold your breath.

I do believe that this current thread does provide a wealth of constructive information in combination with the 2017 Conference Video and attachments, so anyone can build this motor if they have the initiative. In that regard my new postings will be on a new thread dedicated to the fine tuning, with advanced design and development of the ZFM as per the P. Lindemann config - name of thread? It will be obvious. Comments as to this direction?

In closing, JB believed that the ZFM had many interesting potentials - time to explore why!

Yaro
                    Last edited by Yaro1776; 11-02-2017, 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

• Ron,

I had not thought about opposing magnets in this configuration, I had only thought, that if a N on the inside rotor, and a S on the outside rotor, so that the magnet field flowed through the coil, strengthening the field between the magnets..... opposing magnets would be interesting to test....

Yaro,

JB did comment, He found the design interesting, but because we had a wrong understanding of the rotor magnets at that point in time(all N out), what little he said is not relevant....

I've been wanting to 3D print a small version of this to test, but I have been too busy with the 6 coil and stuff to have the time for this project...

This model was designed in FreeCad, and if someone wants to play with it / resize it / 3Dprint it, let me know and I will email the files to you.

Comment

• RS, all,

How it works:

Convention has the flux lines flowing out of the North pole into the South pole.

For the magnet (with the right polarity) at "A", it will lock into the flux lines and travel the length of the coil

For the magnet at "B", (of the same polarity) it will 'see' the out flow and will be repulsed.

For the magnet at "C", (of the same polarity) it will see the inflow and be attracted back to the coil.

For the magnet at "D", it must be of the same polarity as "A" in order to travel in the same direction.

Name:	ZFM flux interactions.jpg
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	49627

I have re-posted the JPG as my good friend Gyula has clarified it with polarities

Ron
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by i_ron; 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• "my new postings will be on a new thread"

Link?

Thanks

Ron

Comment

• Originally posted by i_ron View Post
                            RS, all,

How it works:

Convention has the flux lines flowing out of the North pole into the South pole.

For the magnet (with the right polarity) at "A", it will lock into the flux lines and travel the length of the coil

For the magnet at "B", (of the same polarity) it will 'see' the out flow and will be repulsed.

For the magnet at "C", (of the same polarity) it will see the inflow and be attracted back to the coil.

For the magnet at "D", it must be of the same polarity as "A" in order to travel in the same direction.

I have re-posted the JPG as my good friend Gyula has clarified it with polarities

Ron
                            Before you move have you considered... The mighty Halbach array? It seems to have many benefits for the zero force motor, especially with the way your coil is pictured in the quote above.

Here is what I am talking about... It seems to mesh perfectly with your coil... So many good things to try so little time!

Dave Wing

Attached Files

Comment

• If you happen to find Yaro's new forum would you post a link here?

Thanks

Ron

Comment

• Originally posted by i_ron View Post
                                If you happen to find Yaro's new forum would you post a link here?

Thanks

Ron
                                Hey Ron and all,

Intention on my part was to give a heads up that my further posts on the ZFM will deal with advanced details and testing with a new thread on this forum and location so as to not clutter this ZFM replication thread. I believe that the existing thread should deal with startup information for replicating the original ZFM concept and other related issues.

Unfortunately I have been occupied with my outside business work and anticipate that I will launch the new thread on this forum later this week. Still waiting on the new rotors from the machine shop - all minor speed bumps.

Yaro
                                Yaro

Comment

Working...
                                X