Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by i_ron View Post
    Thanks James for the interest...

What this is, is a six coil, six magnet rotor design.

The problem I felt with PL's two coil design is that it does not scale up as the gaps become too large.

So in this approach I have all one polarity magnets and fire the coils with one polarity when the magnet is over the coil and fire the coils with the opposite polarity when the magnet is in the gap.

A year ago I posted an experiment of the coil tests

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4g0XCgEqM

So as you can see there are two stages, one is the pull over the coil and the second is the repulse in and out in the gap between two coils.

Like this:

So yes bifilar (for convenience) two strands 60 feet of number 20 for each coil, in series.

Ron
    This is 100% identical to the Monopole ZFM that I'm building except that I'm going with 4 coils.

Are you switching them all parallel with each other or putting all 6 coils in series to up the recovery voltage?

I want to see this turn a Kromrey.
    Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
      This is 100% identical to the Monopole ZFM that I'm building except that I'm going with 4 coils.

Are you switching them all parallel with each other or putting all 6 coils in series to up the recovery voltage?

Six coils in series Aaron, It seems to run at 740 RPM on 5 watts. This is version one where I am switching 12 times per revolution with the H bridge.

Version two will have double the number of magnets, N S N S and switch only with the north pole over the coil... so pulsing only six times per revolution.

Here is a video of version one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSs...em-uploademail

Ron
      Last edited by i_ron; 12-16-2017, 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Ron can you post your circuit?

Comment

• Hey Ron,

Very nice work in putting together the pancake ZFM design. Looking forward to the progress and performance as you go forward with the coil firing modification/position.

Love the opto couplers integrated into the firing circuit - a step up from the reed switches from a precision perspective.

Thanks for sharing your replication efforts and Happy St. Nicholas' Day,
          Yaro
          Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Hello Aaron,

Do you have a perception as to the RPM and power requirements to run the Kromrey device? Be good to have a useful performance goal for the ZFM as the builds progress.

Yaro
            Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed_Morbus View Post
              Ron can you post your circuit?
              It is a mosfet circuit, much more efficient than a transistor circuit. As you may know charge pump highside drivers don't do 100% duty cycle. So I have used dc dc converters here but shown in the schematic, labelled as VCC2 and VCC3 These are DC101's and put out 10 volts but anything in that range will work

Ron

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hbridge2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	49695

Name:	IMG_7935e.jpg
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	49696
              Last edited by i_ron; 12-17-2017, 10:27 AM. Reason: added pic

Comment

• Originally posted by Yaro1776 View Post
                Hey Ron,

Very nice work in putting together the pancake ZFM design. Looking forward to the progress and performance as you go forward with the coil firing modification/position.

Love the opto couplers integrated into the firing circuit - a step up from the reed switches from a precision perspective.

Thanks for sharing your replication efforts and Happy St. Nicholas' Day,
                Yaro
                Thanks! yes they do a good job.

With a wee bit of tweaking it is now running 740 RPM using all of 5 watts

here is what the pulses looks like...

Ron

Name:	zfmk2c.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	49697
                Last edited by i_ron; 12-17-2017, 04:58 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Ron only the schematic is to small and Attachment not working

Comment

• I will try again

but it keeps putting up a thumbnail?

R

https://s17.postimg.org/o4tmo2snj/Hbridge2.png
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by i_ron; 12-17-2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Hello Aaron,

Do you have a perception as to the RPM and power requirements to run the Kromrey device? Be good to have a useful performance goal for the ZFM as the builds progress.

Yaro
                      Hi Yaro,

At 1500RPM uncoupled from the Kromrey, it goes 1500 rpm with a dc motor draw of 12.24v at 0.78a = 9.54 watts. This is WITH the flywheel on the back end of the motor. I'd test w/out the flywheel, but can't find the right Allen Wrench at the moment. All three measurements are with the DC motor on the back end of the flywheel.

Coupled to the Kromrey with nothing on the output of the Kromrey at 1500 rpm, it takes 12.62v at 1.98a = 25 watts.

Coupled to the Kromrey with the output of the Kromrey shorted at 1500 rpm, it takes 12.5v at 1.75a = 21 watts.

The DC motor needs up to 15 extra watts to turn the Kromrey at 1500 rpm at whatever efficiency that DC motor is. Even if the flywheel takes 100% of the DC motor draw to turn, we're looking at 25 watts for 1500 rpm but of course will take less than this.

25 watts = 0.0335 HP to turn it at that speed. I don't know the optimum speed, I can tell you there is nothing linear about the machine. And sometimes, it just spontaneously jumps in speed 10-20% and then slows down. Might be bad brush contacts, etc... it's not in the greatest shape. So anyway, that is just this particular build.

I want to build a larger Kromrey with a few bells and whistles as time permits. Getting all the parts together right now.
                      Aaron Murakami

You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Comment

Hi Yaro,

At 1500RPM uncoupled from the Kromrey, it goes 1500 rpm with a dc motor draw of 12.24v at 0.78a = 9.54 watts. This is WITH the flywheel on the back end of the motor. I'd test w/out the flywheel, but can't find the right Allen Wrench at the moment. All three measurements are with the DC motor on the back end of the flywheel.

Coupled to the Kromrey with nothing on the output of the Kromrey at 1500 rpm, it takes 12.62v at 1.98a = 25 watts.

Coupled to the Kromrey with the output of the Kromrey shorted at 1500 rpm, it takes 12.5v at 1.75a = 21 watts.

The DC motor needs up to 15 extra watts to turn the Kromrey at 1500 rpm at whatever efficiency that DC motor is. Even if the flywheel takes 100% of the DC motor draw to turn, we're looking at 25 watts for 1500 rpm but of course will take less than this.

25 watts = 0.0335 HP to turn it at that speed. I don't know the optimum speed, I can tell you there is nothing linear about the machine. And sometimes, it just spontaneously jumps in speed 10-20% and then slows down. Might be bad brush contacts, etc... it's not in the greatest shape. So anyway, that is just this particular build.

I want to build a larger Kromrey with a few bells and whistles as time permits. Getting all the parts together right now.
                        Okay - that is good info. The present YZFM will produce that at about 7800 RPM, so theoretically a 5:1 ratio belt drive should work to drive the small Kromrey device right now and provide the starting torque to get everything up to speed. Very Interesting...

Yaro
                        Yaro

Comment

• Hello Cristian,

Nice video of your design - interesting arrangement on the coils that seems to work okay. It appears that you are using around 8.9 watts to drive the motor at 1,700+ RPM. You will find that as you alter the Firing Angle (coil power on time) and the Advance/Retard of the firing point that the machine will change speed and input consumption.

Maximum speed is not really the goal, though it does raise the level of excitement at times. Goal here is to maximize torque and subsequent horsepower while minimizing power input.

Good work!!!
                          Yaro
                          Yaro

Comment

Okay - that is good info. The present YZFM will produce that at about 7800 RPM, so theoretically a 5:1 ratio belt drive should work to drive the small Kromrey device right now and provide the starting torque to get everything up to speed. Very Interesting...

Yaro
                            Kromrey might do better at even lower speeds. There is a point where the output volts and amps increase then the current stays the same even with the voltage going up a bit - have to look at the input output ratio to see the point of diminishing returns. The Kromrey acts like a constant current generator and constant current generators are supposed to unload the prime mover when output is shorted. I think that is something nobody ever really got about the Kromrey so it isn't anomalous at all - at least not that specific aspect of its operation.
                            Aaron Murakami

Comment

• Aaron,

Sheesh! You are certainly distracting my attention towards the Kromrey device; but I will ignore this siren song for awhile and keep focusing on the ZFM goals for the time being. There is more to be mined from this motor and I am loathe to be distracted away from it as this point.

Keep priming the pump with the Kromrey info and progress.

Yaro
                              Yaro

Comment

• Originally posted by cristian alba
                                Hello everyone
                                I think I do not bother this approach on Ron's project and I propose to look at a not unusual way to start up the ZFM, this time with the circuit proposed by Peter Lindeman. This video is uploaded to edit anything with little clarity due to the lack of good light of my work site, but in a very short time I will return with a version with details.
                                Ron, your work is very fine, you love and interest at the same time
                                Yaro, you are the veteran of this engine. If to this engine, I put an aluminum rotor, with my optosensor ignition system how many revolutions do you think it will achieve if you touched more than eleven thousand?
                                OK sorry Mr. chrome that has translated into English but I do not think it is a barrier to communicate when you have to say things.
                                Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GP8...ature=youtu.be
                                Very interesting concept Cristian! thanks for sharing

Ron

Comment

Working...
                                X