No announcement yet.

3D Printed Window Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The rotor has been revised with bearing standoffs on both sides. You must print with support on the bottom.
    I added the new rotor file at: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1676878

Doug

Comment

Got my 5" pulley in today from Teslagenx. I also got my other parts for the 4th module this week. Here is a video of it running with some rpm readings. All that is left is to set up the capacitor discharge.

Doug

Comment

Hey. I am in the developmental stage for an electrostatic induction generator to add on to the Window Motor module. It is something that I have been dreaming up for a couple of years now, to incorporate three designs into one. I have seen some similar works over the years. There is going to be some trial and error with this like anything else.

The idea is to use the Window Motor as a high efficiency drive unit to turn the static induction generator. Store the HV in some doorknob capacitors from the SIG and run it back through the Window Motor rotor like Oleg Jefimenko's (more recently the Mini Atmomotor by LaserSaber) work.

I am using AD Moore's design (Dirod) for the SIG. It is said to have a high output even in high humidity. I got his book (Electrostatics; Exploring, Controlling, and Using Static Electricity w/ The Dirod Manual) three years ago for research.

I have five parts to the Dirod already designed. Those parts include the rod holders, the base & top, the ends, and the neutralizer bar holder. I still need to come up with the collector and inductor designs. The pulleys should work great for this project. AD Moore says this SIG works best between 600 and 1200 rpm's.

Please be patient with me. It should not take me long to get it done. If you would like to go ahead and get some parts sourced I am using 1/8" brass rods from Lowe's. Get enough to cut 18-4.75" lengths. The bearings will be the same size as the Window Motor. The bolt sizes for this will be 1/4". I may use nylon bolts on this module. I plan on making this open source on Thingiverse. Teslagenex may also be available to print the 3D parts if you like. Please post any questions or comments.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160920_103747_992.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	49000

Doug
        Last edited by DMANN; 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM. Reason: add picture

Comment

if anyone wants parts let me know...

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

I'm getting closer. Maybe about another week or so on the dirod. Here is an update picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160923_220617_447.jpg
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	49001

Doug

Comment

Hey all. I am pleased to announce that the Dirod is complete. I just got done putting the final parts together. I need to do some preliminary test to ensure that it produces before I list it to Thingiverse. Meanwhile, here is a picture. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161004_183911_013.jpg
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	49008

Before I test it, I will need to print some new pulleys and hook it up to the Bedini/ Cole Window Motor. I should be able to do an update by Friday 10/07.

Doug

Comment

Doug,

Is the Dirod high voltage like a Wimshurst machine? I've wanted to drive a Wimshurst with an SSG for some time now but am sometimes rather slow with my builds. Perhaps this is common knowledge but I recently found the equation for capacitance, of at least a two plate capacitor, is C= permittivity x area/distance. I strongly suspect this has relevance in electrostatics, and if you keep churning out these great builds you might want for your electrostatic generator to look at having fun with the capacitance parameters, just don't get carried away if I happen to be right Lastly, is there Lenz drag off a loaded electrostatic generator? Ah don't answer (unless it is a yes moron it is five times as severe everyone knows that) I should find out for myself I just don't churn out these sort of frequent quality builds. Dammit I'm a doctor Jim, not some electrostatical engineer!

Z
                Last edited by ZPDM; 10-07-2016, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Here is the Dirod hooked up to the Bedini/Cole Window motor.

Comment

Z,

This is high voltage, but more like a Varley machine. It works on an induction principle. There is a radial version of this that anyone should be able to incorporate with the Bedini SG. My device here is not producing the sparks on its' own yet. I am actually using two chinese neg ion generator modules off of the output on the Bedini/Cole Full Sequential Bipolar Circuit and running it through the dirod. It is allowing me to see some things. One thing is that the spark gap can not get much bigger than what you see in the video. If I widen the gap it does a lot of internal arcing. The RPM on the Dirod here is 2000. I will need to print a bigger pulley for the Dirod to bring it down to the suggested rpm which is between 600 - 1600. I will not post this to Thingiverse until I know that it works. If all else fails I may change to a simplified Voss design much like what Lid Motor has done in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H9hW-Pkns This may also be the way to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05s3zkBPewg I have not given up on this Dirod yet, but there are many directions we can go. I am sitting in 100% humidity near the NC coast so that may be giving me some negative effects.

I do not know what loading a static generator will do. I am hoping to learn by experience. My only other experience with making a static generator was a Van de Graaff generator.

Doug

Comment

I was able to get the Bedini/Cole Full Sequential Bipolar Circuit to self oscillate. You can see in this video that I have the two HV modules linked to the output of the circuit. It sparks at a faster rate than spinning the motor.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h66ukBfiQI8

Comment

listed on Thingiverse as a work in progress: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1817132

Comment

Here is the Bedini/Cole window motor with a Jefimenko Electrostatic Motor twist. I don't know where this is going but have fun. I have not put this one together yet but by all means have at it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161009_225720_052.jpg
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	49011

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1817194

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DMANN View Post
                            Z,

This is high voltage, but more like a Varley machine. It works on an induction principle. There is a radial version of this that anyone should be able to incorporate with the Bedini SG. My device here is not producing the sparks on its' own yet. I am actually using two chinese neg ion generator modules off of the output on the Bedini/Cole Full Sequential Bipolar Circuit and running it through the dirod. It is allowing me to see some things. One thing is that the spark gap can not get much bigger than what you see in the video. If I widen the gap it does a lot of internal arcing. The RPM on the Dirod here is 2000. I will need to print a bigger pulley for the Dirod to bring it down to the suggested rpm which is between 600 - 1600. I will not post this to Thingiverse until I know that it works. If all else fails I may change to a simplified Voss design much like what Lid Motor has done in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H9hW-Pkns This may also be the way to go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05s3zkBPewg I have not given up on this Dirod yet, but there are many directions we can go. I am sitting in 100% humidity near the NC coast so that may be giving me some negative effects.

I do not know what loading a static generator will do. I am hoping to learn by experience. My only other experience with making a static generator was a Van de Graaff generator.

Doug

Doug,

I am not familiar with either the Dirod or Varley, I can say I picked up a Wimshurst for maybe 50-60 bucks a while back and it is fun to hand crank it and get 1-1 1/2 -2 inch sparks at maybe 60 rpms every 4 -5 rotations, 1 inch sparks if humid. I poked around the internet (don't have any links off top of my head) but apparently there was someone who had a high current variation of the Wimshurst decades ago, couldn't find any patent or anything at all more. However, as C = p x A/ D, it would seem if you had large plates and close tolerances you would have more current for a given rpm. Also while air has a permittivity almost equal to vacuum, i.e. both about 1, glass has a permittivity about 5-10 and other, I won't say exotic cause it seems you can buy them easily, substances have p>1,000. Without experimenting, so just spinning, I am wondering if you had a one inch gap on a Winshurst and 7/8 inch was filled with a p = 1,000 material is that better or worse than just having a 1/8 inch air gap, heck if I know. Also, on the Wimshurst and I would guess the Dirod, one takes advantage of the tremendous voltages produced by utilizing high voltage small capacitance capacitors around the spark gap, but one needn't do this (maybe avoid some x-rays too?) you could just shoot the separated charge into large caps or a battery for that matter, hence how to maximize current.

Comment

Here is the Bedini/Cole window motor with a Jefimenko Electrostatic Motor twist. I don't know where this is going but have fun. I have not put this one together yet but by all means have at it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5546[/ATTACH]

Doug
                              I revised the bearing holders for this motor to better conceal the high voltage leads.

Comment

Here is the Bedini/Cole window motor with a Jefimenko Electrostatic Motor twist. I don't know where this is going but have fun. I have not put this one together yet but by all means have at it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]5546[/ATTACH]

Doug
                                For those that are following along with this project I expect to have it done by Tuesday night (10/16/2016 10:00 pm est) with a video tutorial. Here are two videos explaining the electrostatic portion of this motor. The first one is from Lidmotor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJceJmzGZdM It is similar to what I am using with this motor. I will be using a Chinese High Voltage module powered off of the output of the Bedini/Cole Window Motor Full Sequential Bipolar Circuit to emit ions on the rotor plates. The second video shows Lasersaber's Atmomotor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHMKiajMZrM The high voltage module that I am using advertises that it can handle up to 12V DC on the input and has an output of up to 8500 volts. I can't imagine you would be able to go much higher than 8500 volts without creating a heaping pile of molten plastic. Lid's rotor uses a few plates on the rotor while Laser's uses many. I am only using six 1/2" X 2" strips directly over the magnets. I have a hunch that this may create some energy storage or capacitance between the aluminum strips and the coated Neodymium magnets. There are other aspects of this experiment that I will discuss later such as energy collection through HV capacitors to send back to the power source. With the torque alone from the electromagnetic portion of this motor, you should be able to implement other experiments such as an external low drag generator. Those ideas are discussed in the Bedini SG Complete Handbook Series. I would also like to say that http://www.teslagenx.com/ seems to be a good/reasonable source to get your parts printed if needed.

I don't expect to change the design any from the file at this point. I may add a stand with a box to store the circuit board in for the future. That is what the screw holes are for in the bottom of the legs.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                                X