Sustainable Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
    So I did some digging around tonight on the Internet...on ways to improve the amount of usable light from a vegetable oil lamp. Turns out these were used quite heavily in the 1800's...based on a design by Aime' Argand in 1780.

Argand lamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't find ANY detailed info on how to build one however. It's absurd! This photo is the best I have found: Stage Lighting Museum - History - 18 century: innovations in stage lighting

There was a patent filed...but I don't know how to access patents from that far back.

An Ebay search brings up a lot of antiques...but it looks like they have all been converted to electric: argand lamp | eBay

I found a guy on Youtube who hasAgoc Travel replicated the lamp...but he's the only person I can find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e98z...Y&feature=plcp

That's real usable light...and sustainable!

Has anyone else heard/read about Argand style lamps?
    Its good that you are doing this reserch and working on ways to improve the amount of usable light from a vegetable oil lamp. My friend is also doing these reserches and he might haveheard/read about Argand style lamps. First of all I will ask him and then I will contact you.
    Last edited by JohnFedele; 07-30-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulWebb View Post
      That's really a great initiative from South America for rural areas. It's a great idea to give free lights from plants.
      Yes really it is a very great idea.

Comment

Working...
      X