Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nanowire Batteries: The Next Step in Battery Evolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nanowire Batteries: The Next Step in Battery Evolution?

Here's an interesting article on a new battery technology. It's still in development but looks very promising.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news...ery-evolution/

The reason why I put a question mark after the title is not because I don't think it's a good technology, but because I don't think we will see it in our consumer electronics.

I think that one of the reasons why Lithium Ion is so popular in consumer electronic devices is because of its ridiculously short life span.

These companies want you to buy a new phone every 2 years, so they put a battery in it that doesn't even last that long. This is also why in a lot of smart phones and tablets, you cannot replace the battery when it has reached its end of life.

There are already battery technologies where the battery lasts 100 years, look up the Edison cell.

Unfortunately for for us this technology will probably be restricted to the military, just like all of the other good stuff.

Nevertheless, the article is worth a read...

John K.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    Here's an interesting article on a new battery technology. It's still in development but looks very promising.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/news...ery-evolution/

The reason why I put a question mark after the title is not because I don't think it's a good technology, but because I don't think we will see it in our consumer electronics.

I think that one of the reasons why Lithium Ion is so popular in consumer electronic devices is because of its ridiculously short life span.

These companies want you to buy a new phone every 2 years, so they put a battery in it that doesn't even last that long. This is also why in a lot of smart phones and tablets, you cannot replace the battery when it has reached its end of life.

There are already battery technologies where the battery lasts 100 years, look up the Edison cell.

Unfortunately for for us this technology will probably be restricted to the military, just like all of the other good stuff.

Nevertheless, the article is worth a read...

John K.
    Good article John!!
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
    X