2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hardwiring equalization

hardwiring equalization

Hello All,

I am putting together our Off-Grid Cabin Solar Array System and wanted to reconfirm what I think I am reading in the "Solar Secretes" book.

The book says to parallel connect the batteries at the 6v, 12v, and 18v, levels to build in battery equalization so none of the batteries fall behind or get ahead of the charging/discharging process.

Please look at my diagram and tell me if I have this premiss correct.
    Solar Project Battery Hardwired Equalization.jpg
    Last edited by ugotdave; 05-12-2016 at 03:59 AM. Reason: to correct image

Networking Architect Aaron Murakami's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ugotdave View Post
    Hello All,

I am putting together our Off-Grid Cabin Solar Array System and wanted to reconfirm what I think I am reading in the "Solar Secretes" book.

The book says to parallel connect the batteries at the 6v, 12v, and 18v, levels to build in battery equalization so none of the batteries fall behind or get ahead of the charging/discharging process.

I only just saw this - that is not correct at first glance.

Let me know if you see this and I'll show you.
    Aaron Murakami

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    I only just saw this - that is not correct at first glance.

Let me know if you see this and I'll show you.
    Hi Aaron,

In fact I remember reading on Hard wiring Equalization posted by you is it in one one the Bedini books series..?
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    ‘Mass is the Spatial density of Matter (Particle) and the Temporal Intensity of Space (Field)’.

Blog Entries
    I apologize, you ARE correct! If you're tapping the neg and pos from the far left and right, then yes, that is it.

The zig zagging got me confused for a moment. Here is a comparison with non-zig zagged terminals to show it - same thing but maybe easier to understand.

That's a 450ah 12v bank of Trojan T105.

Series and Parallel. Down the middle the cables might look confusing but is actually just common connecting the inner - and + of each series set. I did it redundant so resistance is same on each path since I didn't make a T. In any case, it's identical to the image directly above the photo with the common connection down the middle.

I hope that helps.

Hello All,

Attached Images Attached Images
    Aaron Murakami

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” ― Richard Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faraday88 View Post
    Hi Aaron,

In fact I remember reading on Hard wiring Equalization posted by you is it in one one the Bedini books series..?
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    It's in the Solar Secrets book.
    Aaron Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Murakami View Post
    It's in the Solar Secrets book.
    That's right...there you are...!!
    Rgds,
    Faraday88.
    ‘Mass is the Spatial density of Matter (Particle) and the Temporal Intensity of Space (Field)’.

Hey all, yes I rear and re-read the Solar Secrets e-book but could not get my head wrapped around this battery wiring idea.
    Thank you Aaron for the actual picture, this helped me understand exactly how to do this.

My S20A12-EX is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (very excited). I will take it up to my cabin this weekend and attempt to hook it up using this wiring method.

Blog Entries
    Hey all, yes I rear and re-read the Solar Secrets e-book but could not get my head wrapped around this battery wiring idea.
    Thank you Aaron for the actual picture, this helped me understand exactly how to do this.

My S20A12-EX is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (very excited). I will take it up to my cabin this weekend and attempt to hook it up using this wiring method.
    Very cool - glad you saw it. Looking forward to your results for the S20A12-EX.

What panels are you putting on that? What is the VMP for them?
    Aaron Murakami

What panels are you putting on that? What is the VMP for them?
    For now I am using the HF 45 Watt Amorphous rig, until something better comes along. It will be charging 4 T-105's.
    The VMP for these panels seems low, the box says it's 15 Watts per panel x 3 = 45 Watts, 45w/3aH= 15V, but these panels are the ones Peter recommended for newbies to play around with. I will put my Fluke on these panels under load and see what is says, hopefully it's up around the 18.5v range.
    Here is the spec sheet on the box.
    IMG_20160527_075221767.jpg

Blog Entries
    For now I am using the HF 45 Watt Amorphous rig, until something better comes along. It will be charging 4 T-105's.
    The VMP for these panels seems low, the box says it's 15 Watts per panel x 3 = 45 Watts, 45w/3aH= 15V, but these panels are the ones Peter recommended for newbies to play around with. I will put my Fluke on these panels under load and see what is says, hopefully it's up around the 18.5v range.
    Here is the spec sheet on the box.
    I believe they're rated perfect. They're some of the best I've used.
    Aaron Murakami