current plus radiant charger apears to be OU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
    how can 0.7 v charge a battery with 12v terminal Voltage....this patent does it...the normal SSG cannot.
    Faraday88.
    That (as I understand it) is because you can use any voltage to cause current in the coil witch "charges" it with its inductance...and when disconnected the energy must disipate so it does not matter what voltage it disipates into because the induction of the coil doesn't care so it changes the voltage to whatever it needs to be to discharge. The ssg has to have enough voltage and inductance to charge the iron in the coil and must be sufficient to move the rotor magnets t/f 0.7 volts would not be enough to make it run.

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley Malone View Post
      That (as I understand it) is because you can use any voltage to cause current in the coil witch "charges" it with its inductance...and when disconnected the energy must disipate so it does not matter what voltage it disipates into because the induction of the coil doesn't care so it changes the voltage to whatever it needs to be to discharge. The ssg has to have enough voltage and inductance to charge the iron in the coil and must be sufficient to move the rotor magnets t/f 0.7 volts would not be enough to make it run.
      Hi Bradly,
      Please refer in the ABSTRACT section of the patent text it is clearly stated there: 'WITH THIS CIRCUIT A POWER SOURCE THAT GENERATES LESS VOLTAGE THAN THE FULLY CHARGE CAPACITY OF A RECHARGEABLE BATTERY CAN BE USED TO RECHARGE THE BATTERY.''
      IT is very implicit that ideally any extremely low voltage should be capable of doing the charging this way, only to be limited by the Threshold Voltage of 0.7 V in silicon devices and 0.3V Germanium devices (Transistors or BJT).
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

I understand that and am talking about something different.

Comment

aln nice work...Since this ciruit works with normal current it may be a disadvantage to use parallel charge batteries. Dont know this for sure but i think having all the current run throew one battery would be more of a punch. so maybe try running one charge batt then the other instead of parallelling them. since you already have the data of a parallel charge batt you will be able to see the difference if you do one then the other. I know radiant works better with parallel batts because its more "surface" for the radiant but normal current charging works on the amps going threw the batt and with parallel bats you are basically puting half the power threw each....just a thought.
          So I tried charging up my discharged batteries and then returning the energy to the newly discharged ones and had more losses than I thought with the circuit Bradley mentioned earlier. I also have changed the tuning some as I am trying to find sweet spot with this set up. After sending energy out and then resting then returning it, while spinning the wheel between 550-970RPM's, and resting my ending voltage on the primary and charge batteries was 22.9v (SERIES) and 12.69v(PARALLEL). This of course after days of running the wheel. So now I am trying one charge battery at a time. This morning I got up to my first one pushed to over 16 volts so I probably lost efficiency but the second battery is charging now. Aln

Comment

Originally posted by Retep View Post
            Hey Bradley,

The circuit Aaron is talking about is one I developed last December for an advanced SG project. Here's a drawing I made:

It's remarkably close to your drawing. This circuit is designed to run with an automatic 3 battery swapper, to keep an SG wheel spinning for a long time. Also, the extra diode on the positive line is necessary to make sure the Radiant goes 100% to battery #3.

Enjoy,
            Peter
            I've spent a bit of time working with this circuit and so far the results are pretty impressive.

I tried a small circuit with 3 batteries and have now scaled it up using a 24v solar panel in place of the series batteries.

Here's a pic of the setup:

You might recognize that circuit - it's the one that n_techo built using an 80 strand coil of #23 wire. I'm running it in solid state mode with the small board in the bottom left corner.

I ran this off a 200W 24V solar panel yesterday on a good 55Ah gel cell in partly cloudy weather and it topped the battery off in a few hours.

After the sun went down I ran it all night on a bench power supply set at 25V and charging a junk 12V 130Ah Trojan marine/deep cycle battery that started at 4.5v. (Yes, very junk! I think it has at least 3 dead cells)

Interestingly, as soon as the machine was switched on the voltage on the junk battery went to about 17V, then gradually decreased overnight to about 12.5v. I'm currently load testing it to see if it's improved at all.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bradley,

I looked again at this thread in a little more depth, that is really cool. I will say, I do think what you did is similar to the approach I used in a more convoluted way in the backpopping arduino video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUomuUuu3qs In both cases you are preserving the energy flowing from the source as a "Tesla Switch set-up" and also capturing the energy from the inductive collapse. In my case things were split apart between different batteries but heck yea that thing worked great. I haven't yet tried to build but it looks like you have a much more elegant solution. There is just so much to work on but I do hope I can investigate what you did more fully at some point in future and congratulations on what I strongly suspect is a real cool circuit!

Z

Comment

Running loads between the negatives, Comments from energetic forum

Matthew Jones posts 788 and following

FYI, I have not experimented enough to confirm Aln

Comment

Originally posted by aln View Post
                  Running loads between the negatives, Comments from energetic forum

Matthew Jones posts 788 and following

FYI, I have not experimented enough to confirm Aln
                  Thanks aln, I've not seen that yet - but will definitely keep an eye out for it.

John K.

Comment

John K. I was unable to access my account for a while and just recently was able to get logged back in and see your pictures in that post. Awesome job!! thats looks great. given some time now and seeing the similarity in my schematic and the recently released 3 battery lindemann shematic has anybody done any true test of the differences in this version. I just recently got my O-scope back so will be able to run some test soon but have just been to busy. I am wondering if, since this way uses current and the spike if it has any advantage over a normal machine with a cap pulser.

Comment

John K. I was unable to access my account for a while and just recently was able to get logged back in and see your pictures in that post. Awesome job!! thats looks great. given some time now and seeing the similarity in my schematic and the recently released 3 battery lindemann shematic has anybody done any true test of the differences in this version. I just recently got my O-scope back so will be able to run some test soon but have just been to busy. I am wondering if, since this way uses current and the spike if it has any advantage over a normal machine with a cap pulser.
                      Hi Bradley,
                      There is a minor difference in the Peter's schematic and your but this minor difference could show up as a major change in performance, the SSG power coil in your case is placed before the Battery No.3 , while in peter's circuit it is just before it..
                      Here is another revealation of what a position in placement of circuit components ''before'' and ''after''can make a difference!!!
                      How many of you have tried this!!!! try it out... having the diode after the battery in a SSG circuit...see the difference..
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                      X