Bedini RPX Sideband Generator

* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

PRE-REGISTER - 19 SEATS LEFT!!!*** 2017 ENERGY CONFERENCE ***

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: New Medium Sized Machine

Solavei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McNece View Post
    Bob
    Thanks for your response and willingness to help, my ssr is rated at 25 amp 0-200 vdc. I am planning to wire it up just like yours initially, after i have it working properly there are a few things i would like to try with it. I am planning on a timing wheel with reed switches. (One of the things i want to eventually try is the dual reed switches like Patrick had shown a little while back.)
    Brian it sounds like your going to be fine to me. I can vouch for the way I was showing so yea starting with just replicating that is probably a good idea and then experiment more from there. I'm rooting for your success.Once you get it running I may have more advice but I don't want to over complicate things before we even see how it goes. One small suggestion would be that play with the reed and get it to where it us just barley into the field of your timing magnet. It will switch faster and cleaner if you don't over saturate it. Also don't try to run too fast or too slow at first but just a nice middle range to make sure everything is happy. Those reeds can sometimes just break off or stick. It's less likely in this application because the SSR trigger is so low current.

For the rest of the group I have a really short video here of machine running. I'm not talking through it or explaining anything at all, I was just admiring the thing as a machine. This thing reminds me of an old time kind of device with all of the clacking and arcing. Any builders out there can appreciate the pride of just watching your machine do it's thing ;-)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0mhwgeVXMJdqe_2xwT

Hello friends,
    I am back again with yet another iteration of this machine. I have swapped out the all mechanical switching for some SSR's. This is different from the other SSR in that this time each power winding has it's own SSR, basically it is very similar to how we would do it with transistors.

I have also installed a MC to limit the running duty cycle to 50%. I am trying to find a gain in running a genny coil on the back of the machine which is producing 100% of the time while the front of the machine is only drawing half of the time. There is a video below to better understand what I am talking about.

This was just a rough test run but I wanted to share with the group. Improvements can be made quite easily, as I say in the video for example I am using 10AH batteries in this run and the draw is high for such a small battery, probably pushing c10 or more rates here on this one. Anyway this was just for fun and not to be taken too seriously but hopefully you can see the potential in what I am showing.

Here is a pic of the machine now:
    Clack_6SSR.jpg

And the chart from this run. What you are seeing here is that I was swapping the back to front, then front to back and then again and so on.

flipflop_chg.JPG

flipflop_pri.JPG

And here is a video of this run. It is quite long but if your into these kind of things you might enjoy a little hang out session with me on this run.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miF0wz17HLEA4Xrgy

The 50% rest time is very interesting. I hope you keep us informed with the progress on that. The coil shorting has been on my list of things to get around to, but after your demonstration in the video it just went to the top of that list. Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Luton View Post
    The 50% rest time is very interesting. I hope you keep us informed with the progress on that. The coil shorting has been on my list of things to get around to, but after your demonstration in the video it just went to the top of that list. Thanx
    Hi Michael,
    Thanks for checking it out. Yes you should try out the coil short, it's so easy to add on to any system. I have been playing a bit more with the setup and I may shoot another video, not so long as that last one now that I have shown what it's all about.

A few things to note from observations so far..

A 50% duty on the front may not be the right split, I mean it works ok but I have noticed that if running steady vs the 50% that each time the on time kicks in it causes a bit more draw than if it was running steady because of the wheel loosing momentum. A solution could be to change the percentage to like 60/40 or 80/20, or still do 50% but change the duration to a shorter on/off, or more mass on the wheel. The concept is sound but tweaking it could improve it a bit.

With the genny coil short on the back you cannot expect much current at all, at least not with one coil like I have at the moment. I hooked various batteries to it directly and was able to charge small stuff like 9v and a few AAA but as you go larger it is just not enough current to move them. The voltage is there but the current is not. It's kind of the same as when you put too large of a battery on the back of an SSG, it wants to charge but only to so far and not reach the full potential.

After playing with the raw signal straight to a battery for awhile I made a tiny cap dumper for it to go through. With this arrangement you can charge larger batteries than was possible without it. The little bursts of current from the cap help push the battery up. It is still not very powerful but more capable than without the dumper, but as I keep saying it is a working concept that needs tweaking. Really it needs more coils to do anything of size.

For your percent duty cycle on the front end, would a flywheel help. To clarify I know that is not easy to do. I built a heavy rotor (2 inch thick plywood) and it was extremely hard to tune, mainly due to the time delay required between adjustments. Once it was ironed out it ran exceptionally well and actually my best run was on that machine. It was retired due to the timing issues, but I might have to drag it back out and play with it again.

Thanks for the performance report as well for that is what is important to me. I do not care so much about single items such as fastest, biggest spike, etc. unless it also means a performance gain in the ability to do work.

wish you well on your ongoing refinements and experiments.

Michael

Hello group,
    Today I am posting a run on a Walmart deep cell trolling battery. I did this one in gen mode, it took about eighteen hours. I did not use the Aurduino duty cycle trick from the last video, mostly because I do not have more genny coils for the machine yet. I can harvest a little off the back genny coil but it's not really enough to do much with so I have just moved the coil up out of the way and am running normally for now.

This run is not showing anything new really accept maybe a look at a run using the home built lifePO4 pack as the primary. I mostly just wanted to post because there are not many people posting runs.

Here are the batteries:
    clack_ssr6_2_batt.jpg

And the charts:
    clack_ssr6_2_chg.JPG

clack_ssr6_2_pri.JPG

And a short video showing the start, middle and end of the run:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGShXbIRyU6nOIHN

Quote Originally Posted by BobZilla View Post
    Hello group,
    Today I am posting a run on a Walmart deep cell trolling battery. I did this one in gen mode, it took about eighteen hours. I did not use the Aurduino duty cycle trick from the last video, mostly because I do not have more genny coils for the machine yet. I can harvest a little off the back genny coil but it's not really enough to do much with so I have just moved the coil up out of the way and am running normally for now.

This run is not showing anything new really accept maybe a look at a run using the home built lifePO4 pack as the primary. I mostly just wanted to post because there are not many people posting runs.

Here are the batteries:
    clack_ssr6_2_batt.jpg

And the charts:
    clack_ssr6_2_chg.JPG

clack_ssr6_2_pri.JPG

And a short video showing the start, middle and end of the run:
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmzmftzD-V0miGShXbIRyU6nOIHN
    Hi Bob,
    Nice video... liked that Graphometer software...could you let me how i could download that..i need for my experiments..
    Rgds,
    Faraday88
    'If Real Education be Imparted...Paradigm Shift would become Redundant'

Hi Faraday,
    Unfortunately that software is a proprietary package that was bundled with the old radio shack digital meters which I don't think they sell anymore. If you have the meter I can give you the software but without the meter it won't do any good.

If you are looking for a way to chart on your computer I would suggest DATAQ products. These are pretty nice solutions at a good price. Be aware that the lower end models only accept up to 10v so to use it with our types of systems you make a voltage divider on the input and set the calibration. That is what I did with mine and it works fine that way.

Check out these starter kits if your interested.

https://www.dataq.com/data-acquisition/starter-kits/

Quote Originally Posted by BobZilla View Post
    Hi Faraday,
    Unfortunately that software is a proprietary package that was bundled with the old radio shack digital meters which I don't think they sell anymore. If you have the meter I can give you the software but without the meter it won't do any good.

If you are looking for a way to chart on your computer I would suggest DATAQ products. These are pretty nice solutions at a good price. Be aware that the lower end models only accept up to 10v so to use it with our types of systems you make a voltage divider on the input and set the calibration. That is what I did with mine and it works fine that way.

Check out these starter kits if your interested.

https://www.dataq.com/data-acquisition/starter-kits/
    Bob
    Nice video, are you triggering it with arduino or something else?
    Also on the Dataq, do you mean it only measures up to 10 volt.
    Thank you

Solavei
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian McNece View Post
    Bob
    Nice video, are you triggering it with arduino or something else?
    Also on the Dataq, do you mean it only measures up to 10 volt.
    Thank you
    Hi Brian,
    It is triggered from a pair of reed switches and a 6volt battery, in the video you see that little battery off to the left? The negative side of that is running through the reeds to trigger the SSR's. The wheel on the front is the trigger for those reeds so as the magnet goes by it closes the switch which opens the relays. The video I posted just before this one did use the aurduino to produce a duty cycle but essentially worked the same way. Hope that makes sense.

For the meter, yes the cheaper ones max out at 10v. So what you do is make a voltage divider with resistors. You can calculate it out so that your cutting the source in half or by 4 times, whatever you need. For example I make mine to be a 40v max meter so that I can measure both batteries and cap voltages with it. To do that I need to make a voltage divider that takes 40v and reduces it to 10v(because that is the max input for the meter). Then in the meter software you change the calibration so that 10v=40v.

So if I take a 10k resistor and a 30k resistor to make a divider I will be reducing 40v to 10. See the calculator below and try out some numbers. If you used a 10k and a 10k resistor you have an exactly halved output so you could go up to only 20v. It may sound complicated but its really as simple as two resistors.

Anyone actually trying this should get the best tolerance resistors you can get so that it is as accurate as possible ( 1% or better).

http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/vol...der-calculator
    Last edited by BobZilla; 03-15-2017 at 06:13 PM.