No announcement yet.

Branch's SSG Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Informative thread, but I am confused. I sem to recall JB stating in the energy from the vacuum series that you can have about 20% mechanical load on the wheel without affecting COP in a negative way, but rather a positive way, due to less amp-draw on the primary.
    Am I wrong, or is he putting fan blades on ONLY for demonstration of the "free mechanical energy"? I have up till now been building my SSG thinking that a little bit of friction on the wheel is good!

And also, how do you guys start the spin of the wheel when measuring spin time? With the hand, as fast as possible, or with the coil, circuit and battery connected?

Comment

I'm gonna take a stab at answering the first part of your question.

When you can use the mechanical energy, that is good. Wheel friction though is something you can't really use, so it's considered a loss.

If you remove all the losses, then you have the maximum amount of energy that you can USE to do something useful, like power a water pump or a fan or whatever.

Originally posted by aujawindur View Post
      Informative thread, but I am confused. I sem to recall JB stating in the energy from the vacuum series that you can have about 20% mechanical load on the wheel without affecting COP in a negative way, but rather a positive way, due to less amp-draw on the primary.
      Am I wrong, or is he putting fan blades on ONLY for demonstration of the "free mechanical energy"? I have up till now been building my SSG thinking that a little bit of friction on the wheel is good!

And also, how do you guys start the spin of the wheel when measuring spin time? With the hand, as fast as possible, or with the coil, circuit and battery connected?

Comment

Mm, makes sense. Thank you!

Comment

Hi Branch.

The coil will definitely slow down the wheel due to the magnetic attraction of the core. Make sure the coil is gone when doing a freewheel spin timing.

Bud
          Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

Right on...yeah I don't have the coil in there.

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
            Hi Branch.

The coil will definitely slow down the wheel due to the magnetic attraction of the core. Make sure the coil is gone when doing a freewheel spin timing.

Bud

Comment

I tried loosening those nuts that were up against the bearings today...left a slight gap and gave it a spin. No change really. Spun a little bit longer...but still under 2 minutes.

There's the rubber cover that closes up the bearing...and then there is a plastic bearing spacer in there as well...which Tom said previously not to remove. Could it be that the lube is not getting under that plastic spacer?

Originally posted by Tom C View Post
              what John K said. especially if there is no spacer on the axle in between the 2 bearings. overtightening the shaft will pull the inner races together and it wont run in the center of the race.

Tom C

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                I tried loosening those nuts that were up against the bearings today...left a slight gap and gave it a spin. No change really. Spun a little bit longer...but still under 2 minutes.

There's the rubber cover that closes up the bearing...and then there is a plastic bearing spacer in there as well...which Tom said previously not to remove. Could it be that the lube is not getting under that plastic spacer?

Branch, it could just be what Bud said in that they need to run in a bit. I removed the dust covers on my 10 coiler bearings and the free spin time was much better.

John K.

Comment

Ok...I'll just go ahead with my build...gonna rebuild my frame and then work on a new coil. I'll try running the wheel a bit once my machine is finished...and revisit it if I can't get better spin times.

Is there a wheel you know of that has a killer free spin right out of the box? What model wheel have you used?

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
                  Branch, it could just be what Bud said in that they need to run in a bit. I removed the dust covers on my 10 coiler bearings and the free spin time was much better.

John K.

Comment

Hi Branch,

Did you happen to completely remove the bearing grease out of your current wheel bearings? Like John K. mentioned remove the inner and outer bearing seals on each bearing... This will enhance free spin time vastly.

Dave Wing

Comment

Branch,

When I first built my SG the free spin time was just like yours....very low time. Now that the very same wheel has been used on several variations with several hundred hours of run time it now spins forever when the power is disconnectEd. It now spins so long that I sometimes have to slow it by hand to make sure I know that it is off.

One more thing all of my bearings are open to the atmosphere.....no dust covers to drag on the axle! I might lube the bearings once every 50 hours. One thing you have To remember Is that there is no load one the axle. The ball bearings and races are hardened and without lube will last for years rotating without lube as long as they do not rust.

Bud
                      Do not procrastinate! Make something happen...even if it is wrong. Once begun half done!

Comment

My spin time is about one minute right now. I was going to remove the grease but was wondering about Teflon bushings or even bearings if they make them.

But after reading this I would then ask if you use a Teflon product to lube the bearings every 50 hours or a product like graphite or???

Thanks,
                        Richard

Comment

Yeah I had them degreased at a bike shop.

I was told by Tom C in an earlier post NOT to remove the inner bearing seal as it acts as a spacer for the bearings and they won't work properly without it..

Originally posted by Dave Wing View Post
                          Hi Branch,

Did you happen to completely remove the bearing grease out of your current wheel bearings? Like John K. mentioned remove the inner and outer bearing seals on each bearing... This will enhance free spin time vastly.

Dave Wing

Comment

Are your bearings sealed bearings like mine?

Originally posted by Forrest View Post
                            Branch,

When I first built my SG the free spin time was just like yours....very low time. Now that the very same wheel has been used on several variations with several hundred hours of run time it now spins forever when the power is disconnectEd. It now spins so long that I sometimes have to slow it by hand to make sure I know that it is off.

One more thing all of my bearings are open to the atmosphere.....no dust covers to drag on the axle! I might lube the bearings once every 50 hours. One thing you have To remember Is that there is no load one the axle. The ball bearings and races are hardened and without lube will last for years rotating without lube as long as they do not rust.

Bud

Comment

I apologize for that I interfere. I had a problem because of the bearing housing. Protection of blue color in the photo, too tightly adjacent to the inner cage. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070494.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	45219 I clipped it neatly in this place, in a circle. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070490.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	45220 Here's how it looks like on the wheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070493.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	45221
                              Konstantin.

Comment

Hi Branch.

Yes my bearings were sealed at one time. I tore them apart and ditched the plastic seals. I disassembled all of the bearing parts and degreased everything. The only thing left is the inner race, the outer race, and the ball bearings. Steel ones!

Bud

Comment

Working...
                                X