No announcement yet.

Plexiglass rotor (for old 10 Coils Kit)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass rotor (for old 10 Coils Kit)

Hi,
    I finally received the rotor in plexiglass for the modification of the 10 coils kit .
    I am sorry for the long wait but I have to re-do it because the 20 slot was to tight.
    These rotor is especially for the people that have already the old 10 Coils Kit, and wont to change the aluminum rotor whit the neo magnets and put the plexi whit the ceramic magnets.
    The 20 slot in the rotor need to be finished : you have to square of the corners ( see video )
    I did these for mine 10 Coil, so if somebody wont to buy one you can call KEL-TECH Plastics and speak directly whit Leslie Harris at 253 472 9654. They still have the CNC program saved .
    Her address :

KEL TECH 253 472 9654
    Tacoma WA 1 800 535 8324
    lharris@keltechplastic.com
    Kel-Tech Plastics | Leading manufacturer in plastic displays and custom fabrication

I have pay it $236.00 for mine (actually more for the re-do it ) but these is the price of today plus shipping ecc. I am not involved whit the company and I do not make any many ,I wont to be clear. But if you are still interested ,Leslie is a nice person and the one to talk to ,because she dealt already whit me and she will understand what you want.

I made a quick video whit the dimension ecc.

I hope that these will help somebody and continuing experimenting.

Saluti Ralph

Thanks Ralph,
    show us a video when you have it running. Didn't you have to either cut the magnets in half or modify the support structures that hold the front piece and back piece together?
    h

Comment

Hi Howard,
      excuse me for not responding prior to your email, but I was expecting that the company did the rotor.
      Yes you have to change the frame (cut the space for the magnet in the two U pieces ) and the spacer for the shaft also need to be change (the plexiglass is one inch thick)
      I have the # 18 magnet wire and I am ready to start soon the new adventure.
      I will be happy to make a video when it is finished

Saluti Ralph

Comment

Just curious but what about balancing?

Les

Comment

Hi Les,
          for balancing? I have a friend of a friend that have a big machine shop and perhaps I can convince him to balance me the rotor. Let see wen I will be there.....

Saluti Ralph

Comment

Hi Ralph,
            Since that is for the ten coil that is indeed a very big project. I have not found any local shops even for the six coil rotor I am making. I may have to just make my own prop balancer and try that.

Thanks Ralph
            Les

Comment

Hi Ralph,

Nice work. Thought Id chime in here because I have built a few rotors out of plexiglass almost identical to the one above. Some pointers for those who may be considering manufacturing or ordering their own.

I got my rotor CNC'd at a place called lasermade. Made the mistake of getting one laser cut, Only to find that the laser doesnt cut square through thicker materials, or so they said. So if you are going to order one make sure you specify CNC (machined). I built a jig to help position the magnets so they all would have the same air gap. Some bosses fixed to the center allow for the shaft to be pinched with grub screws.

Also, Plexi or acrylic can be not perfectly flat. I have had a small wobble in all of my rotors, simply due to the varying thickness of the material. It doesnt affect the air gap however.

Regards

Comment

I am thinking of having some made from apple plywood if there is interest

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

@All:

I have had very good luck getting machine work done at my local vocational/technical center.

Cost: Being an advisor to the program. This means going to two ro three meetings a year, enjoying a free meal and supporting the instructor in getting tools & materials for the class.

gl.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121211-00068.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	45124Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121211-00070.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	45125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20121211-00077.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	45126

Hi Ralph,

How is progress on your 10 Coiler?

I have finally completed my plexi rotor, decided to go in a little different direction. wanted go with full 2"... but WOW when i saw the price of the material. I had some extra 3/4" so decided to sandwich 2 pieces together with a spacer in the center that compensates for the difference of the magnet width. My next changes involve the spacers and then re-winding my coils.

Donato

Comment

I like your design. Did you make those rotors or have them fabricated? Would you share your design with those of us who would like to fabricate a plexiglass rotor for our 10-pole kits?

Monty

Comment

Hi Monty,

Send me a PM and i'll forward you the .dxf so that you can have it made locally. They'll generate the g-code from the file and get exactly what i have. I haven't completed the other changes yet, wider braces... will likely do so over the next few weeks.

D./

Comment

Hi D

Your design looks great, if possible I would like a copy of the .dxf file also.
                          Just wondering how your progressing, and Tom I'm also interested in your ply rotor, how is it going.Can someone tell me if the original kit circuit wiring diagram works with
                          the super pole configuration or is there a better circuit available.
                          Merry Christmas and a special to thanks to JB and all the moderators.
                          Cheers,
                          Flux

Comment

@ All

Now you 10 - Coiler kit owners are going to start cooking, just don't forget to post/share and keep the interests up. It’s an excellent built machine with almost everything in place and with this mod you could be looking at JB’s results or close.

Theunis
                            Hey !
                            WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
                            JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

D's design replaces the kit 3/4" aluminum rotor and neo magnets with two 3/4" plexiglass rotors plus a 1/2" spacer for a total width of 2" - to march the length of ferrite magnets that are 2" x 1" x 1/2".

You would be able to put two magnets facing each other for superpoles, or one or two of those magnets with N poles facing the coils.

What is not designed yet is the replacement for the "U" shaped plexiglass spacers that bolt the two frame plates together. The opening in each U for the aluminum rotor is too narrow for a rotor with a total thickness of 2".

Comment

Working...
                              X