Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PICAXE for Beginners

Hi All,

A few people asked for a beginner's thread for the PICAXE.

Whilst I don't claim to be an expert I have done a number of projects with different PICAXE chips and have found them pretty easy to work with, with loads of functionality. My first project was to make an LED blink, after that you're only limited by your imagination!

As for projects for this group, we'll mainly be looking at using the PICAXE for Bedini based technology. This can include capacitor discharge circuits for the SSG, battery monitors and swappers, automated load testing and logging, etc. The idea is complement Bedini technology and circuits, not replace them!

For those who have never used a PICAXE or any sort of programmable IC, I suggest you start with some homework.

For starters, let's look at What Is PICAXE? - What is PICAXE - PICAXE

This will give you a very basic introduction into what a PICAXE is and what you can do with it.

If you're still interested after reading that, then check out Purchasing a Starter Kit - Getting Started - PICAXE .
    Although purchasing a starter kit is not mandatory, I strongly suggest you get one so you don't have to worry about buying the necessary parts separately to get started. The link I posted is for "the home of PICAXE" in the UK, which is great if you live there but there are also PICAXE dealers in most countries. Google is your friend here, just google "PICAXE <insert country here>" and you should find one easily. In Australia I use Wiltronics - Picaxe as their variety, price and shipping costs are pretty good, but you can buy off anyone you like.

OK, that should do for the opening post. Feel free to ask questions. If anyone else has PICAXE experience, feel free to contribute.

John K.

Originally posted by John_Koorn View Post
    Hi All,

A few people asked for a beginner's thread for the PICAXE.

Whilst I don't claim to be an expert I have done a number of projects with different PICAXE chips and have found them pretty easy to work with, with loads of functionality. My first project was to make an LED blink, after that you're only limited by your imagination!

As for projects for this group, we'll mainly be looking at using the PICAXE for Bedini based technology. This can include capacitor discharge circuits for the SSG, battery monitors and swappers, automated load testing and logging, etc. The idea is complement Bedini technology and circuits, not replace them!

For those who have never used a PICAXE or any sort of programmable IC, I suggest you start with some homework.

For starters, let's look at What Is PICAXE? - What is PICAXE - PICAXE

This will give you a very basic introduction into what a PICAXE is and what you can do with it.

If you're still interested after reading that, then check out Purchasing a Starter Kit - Getting Started - PICAXE .
    Although purchasing a starter kit is not mandatory, I strongly suggest you get one so you don't have to worry about buying the necessary parts separately to get started. The link I posted is for "the home of PICAXE" in the UK, which is great if you live there but there are also PICAXE dealers in most countries. Google is your friend here, just google "PICAXE <insert country here>" and you should find one easily. In Australia I use Wiltronics - Picaxe as their variety, price and shipping costs are pretty good, but you can buy off anyone you like.

OK, that should do for the opening post. Feel free to ask questions. If anyone else has PICAXE experience, feel free to contribute.

John K.
    Hi John,

Thank for opening the thread. I have been reading up on PICaxe and Arduino. Both are exciting experimental platforms. PICaxe is difficult to get in Malaysia, so i need to source it from either the UK or Australia.

Sincerely,

teej_seeker

Comment

Working...
    X