Maximum coil size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS,

I'm switching 60000Uf and maybe you need to look at the gain and the feedback loop , I did not look up your Ic yet I will do that when I get time. But first I want everybody on the same page with the SG circuit as it will work either way. Yes I run the competitor in inverted mode. What is your cap? is it 1000Uf or is it 60000uf. The Ic used makes a big difference as some of them have diodes in the front end to protect the over voltage. You must start with a fully charged primary and then take one 1 amp hr out of that secondary battery, The machine here is charging as I said in 1 hr stopping voltage is 16.46 volts Primary battery is at 12,45 ending. Lets get in the same ballpark with your machine first.Text book comparator is just a simple way of switching, it makes a big difference when you add things around the circuit which I know no one here has, so it is not like the one I have here. Some big adjustments had to be done to make it do what you have seen on that meter it also changes with the output battery as to it's speed. As the output battery increases so does the speed of the pulses to lower the current, so it also serves as a regulator to stop at 16 volts and above, nothing else transferred to the battery. The SG machine here is dumping 120 Joules a second or 12 Joules a pulse with that capacitance.
    Last edited by John_Bedini; 11-06-2012, 08:30 PM. Reason: adding
    John Bedini
    My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Hello, John. I am sorry for what, I ask the question did not on the topic. I have more than six months trying to build your SSG. I think I got the correct operation of the device. Now I training two batteries, one by one. One of them was brand new. The other was old, but I had already charged it before by SSG. Both batteries I see efficiency greater than 1. But both the battery capacity decreases, with each charge and discharge. So it must be, or I do something wrong? I am attaching two tables. SSG COP #3_1.zipSSG COP #6_1.zip
      Thank you.
      Konstantin.

Comment

Kingstingtin,
        Sorry I can not open your zip file with any program I have, post the chart. Are you trading cap dump batteries? it's the only way you can.
        John Bedini
        My homepage: http://johnbedini.net

Comment

Thank you, John, for giving me a few minutes of your time. I am sorry for my poor English. I do not understand your sentence: "Are you trading cap dump batteries?".
          I repacked the files and made ​​them a screen shot. Click image for larger version

Name:	n6.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	45002Click image for larger version

Name:	n3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	45001SSGCOP6.zipSSGCOP3.zip
          Thank you.
          Konstantin.

Comment

John,
            I was thinking about this statement and realized some of these things I have seen with my circuit. I noticed that with a car battery the pulses were about once a second. When I hooked up deep cycle they were faster about 5 times a second and the last thing I did was hook up my alum batteries and it pulsed at about 20 times a second. I attributed this to the ability of the battery to absorb the dump. If it was not fast enough the 12,000uf cap was not able to dump down to the battery voltage. Got turned of to quick.
            I also was wondering what you meant by the earlier post ... "I have said the capacitor never discharges it just looks like a wiggle to my machine."
            shouldn't we be looking at the stair step here?

By the way my SG6 is really something. I thought I had good batteries but things are never what we think....
            The tractor battery was charged to 16.2v then loaded with a 40watt 12 volt bulb. it ran for eight minutes to 11.5v After six runs the battery is now holding the 40 watt bulb to 12volts for twenty minutes. this is a big change for a supposedly good battery.....

Les

Originally posted by John_Bedini View Post
            RS,

I'm switching 60000Uf and maybe you need to look at the gain and the feedback loop , I did not look up your Ic yet I will do that when I get time. But first I want everybody on the same page with the SG circuit as it will work either way. Yes I run the competitor in inverted mode. What is your cap? is it 1000Uf or is it 60000uf. The Ic used makes a big difference as some of them have diodes in the front end to protect the over voltage. You must start with a fully charged primary and then take one 1 amp hr out of that secondary battery, The machine here is charging as I said in 1 hr stopping voltage is 16.46 volts Primary battery is at 12,45 ending. Lets get in the same ballpark with your machine first.Text book comparator is just a simple way of switching, it makes a big difference when you add things around the circuit which I know no one here has, so it is not like the one I have here. Some big adjustments had to be done to make it do what you have seen on that meter it also changes with the output battery as to it's speed. As the output battery increases so does the speed of the pulses to lower the current, so it also serves as a regulator to stop at 16 volts and above, nothing else transferred to the battery. The SG machine here is dumping 120 Joules a second or 12 Joules a pulse with that capacitance.

Comment

Hi Guys

Sorry for being little of post hear, but can I use a "PHASE CONTROL THYRISTOR" in place of an SCR with the cap dump circuit and use a neon light to trigger it.

Theunis
              Hey !
              WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !
              JUST THINK ABOUT IT . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Prinsloo View Post
                Hi Guys

Sorry for being little of post hear, but can I use a "PHASE CONTROL THYRISTOR" in place of an SCR with the cap dump circuit and use a neon light to trigger it.

Theunis
                You can try anything you want to dump the cap, there are a hundred ways to dump a cap into a battery. I dont know about thyristors, and I am not sure I would want to wait till my cap was over 90 volts to dump. twice the battery voltage is all I am looking for.

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

Theunis,

I have used zero crossing triacs (thyristors) in the cap pulsers, and they do NOT work very well, because a triac can conduct in both directions, and they seem to not put a good charge on the battery, or lose something in the transfer......
                  I don't see any benefit from the phase controlled thyristor ether

The SCR's work, but can stick on under certain conditions....

I have had best luck with Big Transistors, or Mosfets, witch turn completely off each cycle

Comment

Dump Voltage

@All,

OK, I'm getting better dumping now...

I increased the dump voltage to 31V as JB mentions in a few posts back. This is on a 12V system and it's dumping at about 1.5amps with a 33,000uF capacitor. I wonder if it needs to be that high for the battery to climb up to 15.5V and regulate itself in that area, since that may be all the battery can see above its own voltage. I can only speculate. I have heard double the battery voltage before. Does anyone know if that was to mean double the battery voltage of where you want to stop charging? It definitely helps, but makes me wonder about my the 36V system on the Ferris Wheel, but that is off topic here.

@RS I was thinking about your recommendation on the collectors hooked to 15V power. Does that negate the benefits of having that switched with the opto?

Thanks, Brent

Comment

Brent,

No, because in this circuit there is no isolation between the 2 sides of the Opto anyway, as the comparator is powered from the capture Cap, where in a 555 timer the power comes from the drive battery, and the opto provides isolation

The Opto diode provides a convenient way to do the trigger ether way.......

Comment

Hi Guys, some help here please !

I have destroyed 4 x SCR's this week , a couple of question?

1. Do you need to rectify the radiant spike before going to the cap?
                        2. Can you put the radiant spike straight into the cap without rectifying it.?
                        3. Using a 555 to trigger the SCR/transistor do you need a 50/50 pulse width or will (for example) - 5/95 ( 5% on and 95% off, work better), seeing the dump from the cap is instantaneous?

Can you guys please post a circuit that you have that is working !

@ RS_ Thanks will leave the thyristors in the drawer before it is toast as well.

Thanks

Theunis
                        Hey !
                        WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE PORTION OF SOLAR ENERGY THAT WAS ALLOCATED TO YOU TODAY? !

Comment

RS,

Thanks! That makes sense...

I am going to modify my board to be able to switch easily between the two options. Do you see any benefit doing it one way over the other?

Also, can you explain why JB is using such a large cap (60,000uF) in his most recent video on garden batteries and a 16,000uF cap on the Ferris Wheel?

Thanks, Brent

Originally posted by RS_ View Post
                          Brent,

No, because in this circuit there is no isolation between the 2 sides of the Opto anyway, as the comparator is powered from the capture Cap, where in a 555 timer the power comes from the drive battery, and the opto provides isolation

The Opto diode provides a convenient way to do the trigger ether way.......

Comment

Theunis,

you need to rectify the signal, you need to turn the spike and ringing, into DC to fill up the cap

Just replace the SCR in your cap pulser circuit, with a 15A transistor, and see how that works.......

on a 555 timer you want a very narrow on time pulse width, just long enough to dump the cap down to the charging battery's Voltage, or a Volt or so above that.......

Comment

Brent,

I Really Really Like JB's comparator circuit, as it is self regulating, and self powered, and triggers when the cap gets to the target voltage. So that if the input to the cap changes for what ever reason, the pulsing ether gets faster or slower to compensate, and it always triggers at the target voltage

a 555 timer cant adjust to varying input to the cap, so that it pulses at different voltages above or below the target voltage, and has to have external power

Comment

Hi RS_

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

I was using a neon with the SCR, maybe that is why the SCR's fried, can you maybe help me with a circuit/diagram.

Also where is the comparator circuit (so much talked about) that John B used, posted, maybe I can build it and use it instead.

I am thinking of building this circuit (attached), as you can adjust both on and off times separately.

Thanks

Theunis
                                Attached Files
                                Hey !

Comment

Working...
                                X