* NEW * BEDINI RPX BOOK & DVD SET: BEDINI RPX

2019 ESTC ALL SEATS SOLD OUT!
PRE-REGISTER FOR THE
2020 ENERGY CONFERENCE

Monero XMR

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 Battery Tesla Switch

My next experimental driver Circuit

This driver circuit is for experimenting with cap dumping, so the back spike of each motor winding charges it's own capacitor, then dumps the capacitor, within the dead zone into the charging battery, when all motor winding's are tuned off.

With this experimental driver circuit, I wish to experiment with the cap dump pulse width and the timing of the cap dump. The logic circuits make sure the cap dump can only happen within the dead zone when all motor winding's are turned off. The Magnetic hall sensor when placed between the magnets, (90 degrees from the coil) can adjust the timing of where the cap dumps inside the dead zone. So I need to give time for the caps to charge from the back spike, and dump the cap before the next motor pulse. If I use NI-CADs or lead acid batteries (with low impedance) and can adjust the pulse width I can prevent battery damage and overheating.

I can provide the modified tri-symmetrical switch schematic with cap dumping in another post.

When I experimented with the below driver circuit I couldn't adjust the pulse width only the frequency.

The battery's started buzzing they got very hot and flat within minutes, if I turned up the frequency too high, these were NI-MH batteries, and these battery's have a high internal resistance(so they lost lots of energy as heat). I damaged these batteries and they lost most of their capacity. I think I burnt the cathodes in these batteries. The same symptoms as overcharging.

This was the first build of this circuit, this was the one that used the NI-MH Batteries

Then I rebuilt the circuit, and this was the second build.

This used NI-CAD batteries, I just found out a couple of days ago that I had connected the opto-couplers incorrectly, to the cap dumping Mosfets, so this experiment is worth testing again to find out how it works with NI-CAD batteries.

Kind
    Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-02-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Gary Hammond,
    If you still wish to experiment with this switch. Here is a modified circuit with dead zones, to prevent switching overlaps.

Q2,Q5 and Q8 from the CD4017 decade counter are the dead zones. This is a simple and cheap mod that can be appied to your driver circuit, that will solve the switching overlap problem.

Enjoy and have fun

Kind
    Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 09-26-2015 at 09:22 PM.

Hi Nityesh,

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nityesh Schnaderbeck View Post
    Gary Hammond,
    If you still wish to experiment with this switch. Here is a modified circuit with dead zones, to prevent switching overlaps. ...............

Q2,Q5 and Q8 from the CD4017 decade counter are the dead zones. This is a simple and cheap mod that can be appied to your driver circuit, that will solve the switching overlap problem.

Enjoy and have fun

Kind
    Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck
    That looks like a viable solution that, if I was a little smarter, sould be able to figure out myself.

Also, is there any way I could use 4 SCRs in series in my original circuit and be able to turn them off? Or will I need at least 1 transistor in the string to commutate them back off?

Kind regards,
    Gary Hammond,

Yes you will need at least one transistor to turn the SCR's off, in the series circuit.

The original 9 Transistor switching engine (the Tri-Symmetrical Circuit) has the transistors connected in a kind of triangle network ring. Because of that all 9 switching devices must have reverse blocking capability, and absolutely no switching overlaps otherwise the desired switching simply won't work.

It would be interesting to know your results, with those lead acid batteries, the heavy lead ions have lots of mass and lots of inertia, and behave as a virtual inductance. This serves to put the voltage and current out of phase, like a coil. Also the battery plates make a capacitor. So it is like having a capacitor and inductor(coil) connected in parallel making a tank circuit. The coil(ions) plus the plate capacitance have a resonant frequency.

Enjoy and have fun.

Kind
    Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck

Here is the circuit diagram for the 3 Battery Tri-Symmetrical tesla switch with Cap Dumping

In my experiment, C1, C2 and C3 are 10uf 250V Polyester Capacitors. All transistors "MJL21194", D1,D2 and D3 "UF5408" ultrafast diodes. In my first experimental build the voltage of C1, C2 and C3 charged to double the voltage of their charging battery.
    The Driver Circuits in post 21 can be used to drive the "3 Battery Tri-Symmetrical tesla switch with Cap Dumping".

Kind
    Regards
    Nityesh Schnaderbeck
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-01-2015 at 05:26 PM.

A picture of the new driver circuit with cap dumping support.

Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-03-2015 at 07:45 PM.

In the experiment, there was not enough voltage in the caps to bias the mosfet, so I made 3 mosfet biasing circuits, to make sure the mosfets reach their lowest resistance with cap dumping The additional mosfet driver circuits bias the mosfets at 11V at turn on, no matter what the voltage the CAPs charge to.

The Addional mosfet driver circuit.

the schematic for the cap dumping mosfet driver, (with mosfet shown)

Please note: Pin4 of IC1(LM358) is gnd\negative and pin8 is Positive. There is a mistake in the above schematic.
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-12-2015 at 09:40 PM.

I have the cap dumping working now, here is a scope shot across one of the capacitors,

The waveform is the same for all 3 capacitors (C1,C2 and C3 from circuit diagram on post #25).

I have changed the 10uF caps for 0.1uF.

0.1uF or 0.22uF caps charge to double the battery voltage in this motor..
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-09-2015 at 11:02 PM.

The voltages of each battery remained frozen for over an hour. B1 7.71V, B2 7 71V and B3 7.63V until B2 and B3 dropped to B2 7.70V and B3 7.62V.

During the running of this switch the battery voltages stay frozen for long periods of time.

I changed the in my tri-symmetical switch (circuit on post #25) in my experiment from H11G1's to H11D1's.

The motor ran faster from this mod, but then I had trouble with unwanted oscillations, so I added an additional capacitor "C2" (on the driver circuit).

The motor now runs at 2000rpm and the battery voltages still remain frozen for hours.

Below is the driver circuit with the new mods.

Enjoy and Have Fun
    Last edited by Nityesh Schnaderbeck; 10-12-2015 at 05:53 AM.