Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing New Tuning Method

Hi Everyone,

Been a long time since I posted, mainly because I haven't been SSG'ing for a couple of months but now I'm back.

So I bought Paul Babcock's latest Magnetic Energy Secrets and something he said about his 24V SSG put an idea into my head. What he said was "If you take the energy out at exactly the right time at a 90° degree angle I get no push or pull reactions that slow that thing down and make you pay a mechanical price"

So with that in mind I attached my timing light on the coil perpendicular to the passing magnets and then proceeded to alter the coil gap and resistance until the magnets created a visual "bar" close to dead center (or 90°) to the iron core, this was once the wheel was up to speed as this alignment changes based on RPM - see video for what I mean. This resulted in the highest RPM for the lowest amp draw but I need to stress something... This was NOT the highest RPM that the machine can attain. I can get my machine to go much faster especially if the gap is only about 3 mm or so and I kick start it by shorting a high resistance 10W series resistor for example.

In this current configuration i am using 330ohm base resistance, 16.7Ohm 10W series, gap is about 8mm and RPM about 285 with 21 magnets, it draws about 1.2A. I have to give it a "fling" at startup to get it to single pulse.

I am starting some full runs to get COP info so we'll see how it goes. I can tell already that it's probably not going to be earth shattering, I am still very suspicious of my test batteries being garbage... Anyway.

The change of alignment with RPM speed has me thinking about the resistance applied to an SSG such as fans or generators coils. I am also going to test various resistance levels, gaps etc in an effort to get the coil close to saturation but not quite!

Having thought about Paul's statement some more it makes sense because before or after 90° means the coil electromagnet is pulling or pushing against the permanent magnets. At 90° the electromagnet dissipates allowing the permanent magnet to escape.

Also here is some pics of what I'm calling my "CLASSIC" ssg built along the lines of JB's original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg_classic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	638.1 KB
ID:	51239
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ssg_classic_circuit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	51238
    Last edited by jelloir; 08-12-2015, 12:58 AM.

James,

Read your send with interest and need to spend a bit of time digesting all of it before commenting. Like your nice and clean wiring work, makes me feel totally inadequate, but whatever. Video clip is a bit on the short side - may need some movement in the bar to get your full point.

Nice effort and thanks,
    Yaro
    Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

Hi Yaro,

Made another vid that hopefully clears some things up.

Comment

Nice work James!

I have seen something like this before when I hooked up a light the wrong way (at least for what I was trying to do). I remember thinking how cool it looked inverted. A few posts back in my thread I was talking about advancing and retarding the timing and I tell you what it does make some drastic differences. I was playing with intentionally firing early and late. I don't know if you ever run in generator mode but I have found that on a multi-coil machine in generator mode it can make HUGE differences.

Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

Comment

well done!!

Tom C

experimental Kits, chargers and solar trackers

Comment

James,

Very good vid - my sound system has barfed and I could not get the commentary. Interesting to see the flare point come and go. Looking forward to hear what your dialogue is - are there two LEDs in place here?

Yaro
            Last edited by Yaro1776; 08-15-2015, 03:31 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
            Yaro

"The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." -Neil Degrasse Tyson

Comment

More than one way to “skin a cat” well done.
              So when the magnet is passing the core, a little Ferriday has to happen in order to induce enough current into the transistor, however – talking sin wave… current follows voltage by 90 and current = Ferriday… so how much Ferriday if any do we need to trip the transistor… and when we “fire” the coil, how much fire do we need to not induce Ferriday again on the other side of 90 degrees… your method seeks to balance all this, but why is firing at top dead center 90 degrees, and which direction is your LED facing? Assuming you have the LED across the coil is the long leg of the LED connected to the collector or the primary positive?

Love that people are still thinking,
              KR - Patrick

Originally posted by jelloir View Post
              Hi Yaro,

Made another vid that hopefully clears some things up.

Last edited by min2oly; 08-17-2015, 02:19 PM.

Comment

James,

Got my sound system up and viewed the video, interesting. Had some difficulties picking up on the aussie accent - one ear is shot while the other is functional - still it took three runs to get a better understanding , Ha. Fun trying to understand a foreign dialect for me on the East coast of the US. No big deal, I can learn.

So, interesting to see the bar - I did a run with my wheel close to your specs and was able to observe this using a narrow beam blue LED. Changed the fixed trigger resistance back and forth and observed the change while using one transistor output. Then switched to the trigger circuit and of course there was an offset in the band's position along with a couple of other things .

Not quite sure as to your setup due to my poor hearing and language skills, however I will be picking up a couple of narrow beam bright LEDs to play with this more. Need more detail here for us slow guys...

BobZ's direction with using a separate trigger coil makes eminent sense for tuning purposes of the finer variety. Interesting to see how this all develops. I am engaged!

Won't be able to respond at a moments notice - in the midst of the summer garden harvest and associated tasks.

Best to all,
                Yaro
                Yaro

Comment

Working...
                X