Copper- Magnesium- Crystal Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper- Magnesium- Crystal Battery

This may already have been replicated alot, but I have not seen results and power curves etc. So I decided to make a couple of my own using a different mix (maybe as I do not know what everyone has done).
    The first run will be a brute load test with no occilator, this will be the base line. Once the LED's have drained the cell's I will post the curve etc and also some pics of the electrodes. Along with the mix.

Thank you John for a board for like minds and without distractions.

Three 1 1/4 inch copper end caps.
    3/4 Inch Magnesium Rod (hot water tank sacraficial) with grooves for more surface area, sticking out are stainless steel mig welding electrode with a loop to provide a tight fit in the drilled out hole - 1/4 inch depth.
    Piece of wood - the fancy holder.Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-30 15.11.16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	44832

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-30 15.19.33.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	44833
      small pieces of neoprene to stop the magnesium rod from hitting the bottom.

Comment

Name:	2012-09-30 15.35.19.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	44834
        Mixture put into the cells.

Name:	2012-09-30 15.42.29.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	44835

preasurized pot to get the air bubbles out of the mix

Comment

Name:	2012-09-30 16.11.18.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	44836
          Okay success - it lights up.

Name:	2012-09-30 16.10.16.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	44837

2.648 Volts with load - (with out load it was 4.1 - sorry did not take a pic)

The extra coil wire was just to see if it would pic up more energy and transfer it into the cell - this was a quick test it is not included in the test - it did not pick up any apparent energy for the meter

Comment

Okay, moved it inside from the shop so I could log the results.
            Starting 2.1 millamps and 2.643 volts

Name:	2012-09-30 16.38.11.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	44838

Comment

Name:	2012-09-30 19.47.17.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	44839

2.633 Volts / 1.7 milliamps and running for 2:44:18 hours

Name:	2012-09-30 19.47.27.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	44840

Name:	2012-09-30 19.47.41.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	44841
              the drop spikes are when the leads became disconnected from being bumped (rearranging)

Name:	2012-09-30 19.47.59.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	44842

Comment

I will be getting to hooking up both meters for logging ... need to locate another cable.

Comment

Update - 15 Hours running - the photo's will speak for itself - the multi-meter timer will only run on the LCD for 10 hours then it screams at you ... but the software keeps running

Name:	2012-10-01 08.02.12.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	44843

Name:	2012-10-01 08.03.57.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	44844Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-01 08.04.20.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	44845

We will see what it looks like at the end of the day.

Comment

Name:	2012-10-01 17.17.47.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	44848Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-01 17.18.09.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	44849Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-01 17.18.15.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	44850Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-01 17.18.47.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	44851
                    Okay here are the results as from a 24 hour run.
                    The min. volt value is not correct, that is what happens when the leads get bumped when moving the meters etc.
                    As you can see the amps and volts stay pretty much the same after running for 6-7 hours. I am not to sure how long they will last but I do know they will out perform any off the shelf battery rechargeable(no I am not talking about the JB lead conversion) or not. In another thread I will show you how to make household batteries that can be used.

The moisture content is very low to touch, not wet or slimy, it is the same as it was when I packed them. The next experiment I will weigh out the materials for a before and after.

I would appreaciate any comments and values from others that have made a Copper/Magnesium battery.

Comment

Looks great man! I am pretty much brand new to the art of making crystal batteries...been working with my converted Alum battery this past week.

So you said these will outperform any off the shelf rechargeable? Will they eventually wear out...or become corroded or anything? What do you have to do to maintain them?

Looks like it was a fair amount of work to get all that built and going. Good work!

Branch

Comment

Did you burn the Copper mate?like JB on his channel..or just put the alum powder?
                        nice works!!love it..

Alfin

Comment

Hi, No did not "burn" them, there is more to the mix then alum powder ... once I get it to where I need it to be I will probably let it out to not for profit public domain use.

Originally posted by alfinip2000 View Post
                          Did you burn the Copper mate?like JB on his channel..or just put the alum powder?
                          nice works!!love it..

Alfin

Comment

Originally posted by Branch Gordon View Post
                            Looks great man! I am pretty much brand new to the art of making crystal batteries...been working with my converted Alum battery this past week.

So you said these will outperform any off the shelf rechargeable? Will they eventually wear out...or become corroded or anything? What do you have to do to maintain them?

Looks like it was a fair amount of work to get all that built and going. Good work!

Branch
                            I am hoping that they will be maintenace free but no way to tell right now ... has to run through the tests etc... out perform yes as they have already been running longer on the same set of LEDs that I had regular batteries on, I still need to put on an SSG circuit, but I am trying to see if they will deplete or not ... so far it is hovers around the same voltage

Comment

Okay here is an update ...
                              as you can see by the voltage it has not really moved much from the last test ... it did drop a bit because I put more LED's on as you can tell ... I moved the other side of first set of led's to a nickel metal hydride from a cordless phone, this has been running for almost 24 hours ... as you can see in the photo it is almost dead compared to the crystal battery.
                              I am not hooking up the amp meter because it really sucks the life out of the battery and it takes time to recover. The voltage meter is not to bad but even that sucks life out. When I take the Led bank off the voltage climbs up to about an average of 4.1 volts. Each battery is about 1.67 volts, with the new copper fittings it is about 1.34 volts. It is time to put on JB occilator, well at least on the new batteries. As I want to see if and when the first batteries will give out. They are now destined to become a night light system. It does look like the running voltage is about .858 volts or so ... I have noticed that there is a differance between the copper fittings on some of the other crystal batteries, the stuff coming out of orient does not have the same amount of copper content and the performance is less. The magnesium that I am using is also an alloy and not pure and that makes a difference also. But it does not matter, one just has to adjust and compensate for that.

Name:	2012-10-04 16.04.29.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	44870Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-04 16.04.51.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	44871
                              Last edited by nickle989; 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X