No announcement yet.

Bedini Original machine FEG 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter, do not use noes with this machine. You must use ceramic #5 or #8 magnets. 2" x 7/8" x 3/8" rectangular will give you the best results.

John K.

Comment

Hi Peter,
      Both John and Tom are right, even John Bedini uses Ferrite #8 Magnets in his Lab G-Field Generator. watch the relavant DVD (Kromaray convertor).
      About your 3 -thing speculation which has repeated 3 times has some secreat to it i guess you have figured it out.
      Rgds,
      Faraday88.
      'Wisdom comes from living out of the knowledge.'

Comment

Thanks Tom, John & Faraday88,
        Ferrites it is. On order as of today, plus austenitic SS shaft material.
        Had a bad workshop day yesterday, made a larger rotor for the new ferrites when I tried it without machining for the magnets it ran at 4500 RPM and as smooth as silk. After machining, it ran with a wobble and tried to fall off the bench. I trued it up again and it was just as bad. I checked the shaft, it was out of true. Rotor has been trued so many times it now looks like a bent hub cap.
        I have the DVD 10 Kromrey Converter as this is my next project.

Best regards.
        Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
          What type of D.C motor are you using as the Prime mover ? It is recommanded to use Series-Wound D.C Motor for self impeding purpose in cases where you use a PMDC Motor.
          rgds,
          Faraday88.
          Last edited by Faraday88; 11-19-2012, 08:56 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Hi Peter,
            Very neat and excellent piece of fabrication there! one correction though : 1)the rotor plate MUST BE MAGNETIC (SOFT IRON)
            2) This perticular configuration is different from the Switched Magnetic flux gate Magnetic . (See the Magnetic Circuit is not closed) it is called HALF REGAUGE OF THE FULL G-Field Generator.
            none the less EXCELLENT DEDICATION!
            Rgds,
            Faraday88.

Comment

Hi Faraday88,

I am using an ordinary PMDC motor. I decided on this approach so that I only had one variable on the build, that is the energiser. I was planning on replacing it with a window motor when I gain knowledge of the energiser. Although I have the parts for the WM I have not had experience at setting up the and running a WM.
              Do you think it would be better/easier to use the series-wound DC motor?
              Best Regards
              peter

Comment

Hi Faraday88,
                thank you for the compliment, I try to keep my builds neat and tidy. It also helps that I have a lathe/mill/drill combo machine so that I can get my ideas up and running quickly.
                So the rotor being soft iron is not a problem as I always use separate rotor hubs on my builds. Thanks for the advice.
                Best regards
                Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,

A seriers-wound motor does not self impede due to the generator effect as in the case of a PMDC motor. this will reduce or hamper your input side effieicency, A series wound motor will not pose such a situation.
                  it is best if you use a Window motor as its is best when torque is looked at.
                  rgds,
                  Faraday88.

Comment

Do you mean to say that the Aluminium dics seeninyour set -up can be replaced by a Soft iron plate in place?
                    rgds,
                    Faraday88.

Comment

Hi Faraday88,

Originally posted by Faraday88 View Post
                      Hi Peter,
                      Very neat and excellent piece of fabrication there! one correction though : 1)the rotor plate MUST BE MAGNETIC (SOFT IRON)
                      2) This perticular configuration is different from the Switched Magnetic flux gate Magnetic . (See the Magnetic Circuit is not closed) it is called HALF REGAUGE OF THE FULL G-Field Generator.
                      none the less EXCELLENT DEDICATION!
                      Rgds,
                      Faraday88.
                      Yes the rotor is just a disk with a separate hub.
                      After all the advice we have had in the past on monopole energisers having non-magnetic rotors, I am curious about the soft iron rotor. This has similarities to a wind turbine rotor except of course we are using the monopole magnet arrangement.
                      Regards
                      Peter

Comment

Hi all,

just a quick update on the new rotor and coils.
                        It took me two weeks to turn an iron rotor, its not a metal I like turning. I recessed the magnets into the rotor, this took longer than I had expected.
                        I also made a composite rotor with aluminium to hold the magnets with a steel back plate. Both rotors perform well but the iron rotor does perform better.
                        The new coil has a resonant frequency of around 360Hz and 136Ohms of 0.40mm wire.
                        Results for one coil are as follows.

No load conditions
                        1852 RPM motor draw 9.9A 1.43KV AC

Load conditions
                        2715 RPM motor draw 6.85A 1.38KV AC

Although the rotor had increased by 863 RPM it haad gone passed the resonant frequency.

At resonant frequency under load conditions the output is 1.6KV AC.
                        When I placed a FWBR onto the coil the output was 1.4KV DC at around 30mA
                        I next placed a 1uF 2.4KV capacitor in the output and the wire connected to the load started to arc.
                        When I tried to measure the amps output I blew two cheapy DMM's so I used an analogue panel meter this is when the coil shorted out.

This is not a good situation as it looks like the magnet wire is not up to the job.

Oh well I will be flying from Spain and spending most of February sight seeing in NZ so I will give it a rest for a while.

Best regards
                        Peter

Comment

Hi Peter,
                          Great labourious work man! i appriciate your hard work and admire too!
                          when you find time please go through Bedini's old website and focus very carefully! you will find that the rotor is always Iron (Ferromagnetic to be more precise!)
                          your experiment above has proved this to you ..is'nt it?
                          you are close to get it working in the Original mode...
                          my best wishes with you pal!
                          Rgds,
                          Faraday88.

Comment

Hi Peter,
                            I am curious to know what happened with the iron rotor? How were the results?
                            Dennis

Comment

Dennis,

I tried different rotors, plastic, aluminium, aluminium with steel backing ring and iron.
                              The iron rotor with ferrite magnets perform the best.
                              I will be replacing the PM motor for a pulsed motor, after all I am not short of spare rotors and coils.
                              It's been a few months since my last test of a new coil (number 22), I have been testing SSG stuff.
                              I try just one coil at a time, this time I tried #23 wire and got resonant frequency at 2950RPM
                              over 3000V at 42mA. Unfortunately once again the magnet wire coating broke down and ruined the
                              coil.
                              I am having a rethink on my coil design although I think its nearly there.

Peter

Comment

Thanks Peter,
                                Why were the coils on Jim Watson's 1984 build so long and narrow? Have you tried that? Is it something to do with what Faraday88 means when he challenged by quoting JB
                                'The Radiant Current is provided only by a Capacitor' ...and then saying

" THERE ARE NO LUMPED CAPACITOR OF ANY KIND." (in the build)

and throwing us the clue

"How would you make a Capacitor out of a Coil???? THIS IS THE BEST CLUE I OR BEDINI CAN GIVE." Faraday88

??
                                Dennis

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motgen17.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	45912

Comment

Working...
                                X